ADVERTISEMENT

Corey Evans on Pitt recruiting

joeydavid

Athletic Director
Gold Member
Feb 5, 2003
Chris Boehme@Cboehme2

Who will be Jeff Capel’s first Center be that commitis to Pitt?

The center position is ultra-important for first-year Pitt head coach Jeff Capel this summer where the Panthers have a rather limited front-line that needs attention. They have placed a priority on
Aidan Igiehon, Armando Bacot, Kofi Cockburn and Omar Payne
but the timing of Capel being hired in Oakland has put him behind the eight ball, playing catch-up compared to others who have invested years into recruiting these prospects. However, the one name that could ultimately end up at Pitt is
Qudus Wahab- The Rivals150 prospect has been connected with Louisville and Syracuse in recent months but Pitt could be gaining some traction with the hard-playing, rim-running center.
https://basketballrecruiting.rivals...-more-twitter-mailbag-on-pitt-louisville-more

Qudus Wahab would certainly be a big get.
Oscar is a complete stud, and I like Igiehorn, too.
But, after them, I like this kid at least as well as any other option they seem to be in on. He has good height and build, is a plus athlete, knows his game is in the paint and is really active.
I think Oscar will come in and be a guy who is a real player day one, maybe Igiehorn, too. The others probably won't be a big help until their second year or so, but this kid would a really nice addition to the program, and a guy who could help them win some big games over time.

Reactions: ScrantonicityIII
I'm not sure Mitchell is what this team needs. He's not explosive and seems to be a perimeter only player. He can shoot and dribble for a big kid but doesn't look physical to me.

Pitt needs top tier rebounder/defender more than anything else at this point.

I'm going with 6'9" 260lbs, PF Tre Mitchell or 6'8" 230lbs C Tariq Ingraham!

I'm not sure Mitchell is what this team needs. He's not explosive and seems to be a perimeter only player. He can shoot and dribble for a big kid but doesn't look physical to me.

6'9" 260# is a strangely configured perimeter player. Not sure how anyone would use that. Other than to have him pick and receive the pass back for an outside shot. But I would rather not do that.

He certainly is not explosive, but is physical and uses his body inside. Honestly, he kind of reminds you of the vintage Howland/JD post guys with the old man's game.

Ideally they get a big guy with more explosiveness and talent, but Mitchell can be a solid ACC big man.

Mitchell is sofffff.

Mitchell is sofffff.
The word is finesse.

We ARE in the ACC.
It is a finesse and skill league.

Yeah, everybody would love a big physical post like Oscat Tshwebe. But, the odds are he'd spend a ton of time in foul trouble.

And, we are in no position to be denigrating decent bigs like Michell. He's certainly a useful puzzle piece fir Capel if wecan signhim.

Our fans are arguably back to actively trying to hurt our program.

The word is finesse.

We ARE in the ACC.

Yeah, everybody would love a big physical post like Oscat Tshwebe. But, the odds are he'd spend a ton of time in foul trouble.

And, we are in no position to be denigrating decent bigs like Michell. He's certainly a useful puzzle piece fir Capel if wecan signhim.

I’ll disagre.
Yes the Howland bully ball bump all cutters physicality is gonzo-

But a physical post presence can thrive in the acc like it does in the highly skilled b12.

The word is finesse.

We ARE in the ACC.

Here's where we might disagree Harve.

I have never seen any legit evidence that the ACC is a certain kind of league where any particular kind of player can be more successful, and needs to be recruited as such.

Good players are good players, regardless of their style or the league they are in.

I have never seen any legit evidence that the ACC is a certain kind of league where any particular kind of player can be more successful, and needs to be recruited as such.

Good players are good players, regardless of their style or the league they are in.
Agree -Good players are good players. And, in a 16-team league, there are a lot of different playing styles. But, I'd argue strongly that other than UVA, there are VERY few decent ACC teams which feature power-style players or a physical style.

That doesn't mean that I think Dixon was right in trying to recruit different style players. I'd have loved to see him have Pitt continue to try to physically impose our will on opponents.

There are a lot of long, slim skillful players and few successful wide-bodies. Guys built like Amile Jefferson and Talib Zanna have been pretty successful playing (nominally) as starting centers.

It will be interesting to see what success a guy like Zion Williamson, whose official measurements at Duke were 6-7, 285 , has in the league. He's a freak physically and may be athletically still able to excell.

I'd much rather have Oscar than NOT have him. But, there have been few guys playing his style in the ACC.

Reactions: freddietee511
Agree -Good players are good players. And, in a 16-team league, there are a lot of different playing styles. But, I'd argue strongly that other than UVA, there are VERY few decent ACC teams which feature power-style players or a physical style.

That doesn't mean that I think Dixon was right in trying to recruit different style players. I'd have loved to see him have Pitt continue to try to physically impose our will on opponents.

There are a lot of long, slim skillful players and few successful wide-bodies. Guys built like Amile Jefferson and Talib Zanna have been pretty successful playing (nominally) as starting centers.

It will be interesting to see what success a guy like Zion Williamson, whose official measurements at Duke were 6-7, 285 , has in the league. He's a freak physically and may be athletically still able to excell.

I'd much rather have Oscar than NOT have him. But, there have been few guys playing his style in the ACC.

There have been few guys playing Oscar's style in the ACC because there are few good guys who can play Oscar's style successfully.

Reactions: wbrpanther
If you guys remember, Pitt had problems with athletic teams in the Big East days! Marquette for one, 2003 NCAA Regional Finals

It Pitt's defense, Page shouldn't have been playing that year (he just wasn't healthy) and refs simply refused call travelling on DWade's first step throughout the game.

If you guys remember, Pitt had problems with athletic teams in the Big East days! Marquette for one, 2003 NCAA Regional Finals

It Pitt's defense, Page shouldn't have been playing that year (he just wasn't healthy) and refs simply refused call travelling on DWade's first step throughout the game.
You are mixing up your years. Page was certainly healthy for his junior year when they played Wade and Maquette. It was his senior year when he had nagging issues.

Yeah, I did. I wish I could forget the whole game....but unfortunately I was sitting 5 rows off of the court and it's etched in my brain.

You are mixing up your years. Page was certainly healthy for his junior year when they played Wade and Maquette. It was his senior year when he had nagging issues.

Reactions: pitt-girl

DT, along those lines I find it interesting that the program (Virginia) that has been most successful the past 5 years, we are talking three 30 win seasons and a 29 win season (the other was a 23 win season), 3 times a #1 seed in the NCAA tourney, 3 of those 5 years, ACC champs with two seasons of 16-2 and one of an amazing 17-1, playing a style most reminiscent and associated with the way Pitt played under Jamie Dixon during our most successful times.

Physical, great rebounding, disciplined, always working for the better shot, not just the good shot, patient and great defense. So, yes, this shows this style, well coached and with good players can not just succeed, but achieve the highest possible results in this conference.

However, like Pitt, they always lacked that one truly NBA dominant scorer, and never made it to the Final 4, made one Elite 8, ony one ACC tourney title during this time, and have the ignominious accomplishment of becoming the first 1 seed to lose to a 16 seed.

So......yeah.......you just wonder if this is just a coincidence or it has actual merit that this style does have limitations.

I'll take the wins with the limitations.

DT, along those lines I find it interesting that the program (Virginia) that has been most successful the past 5 years, we are talking three 30 win seasons and a 29 win season (the other was a 23 win season), 3 times a #1 seed in the NCAA tourney, 3 of those 5 years, ACC champs with two seasons of 16-2 and one of an amazing 17-1, playing a style most reminiscent and associated with the way Pitt played under Jamie Dixon during our most successful times.

Physical, great rebounding, disciplined, always working for the better shot, not just the good shot, patient and great defense. So, yes, this shows this style, well coached and with good players can not just succeed, but achieve the highest possible results in this conference.

However, like Pitt, they always lacked that one truly NBA dominant scorer, and never made it to the Final 4, made one Elite 8, ony one ACC tourney title during this time, and have the ignominious accomplishment of becoming the first 1 seed to lose to a 16 seed.

So......yeah.......you just wonder if this is just a coincidence or it has actual merit that this style does have limitations.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
Yeah, I did. I wish I could forget the whole game....but unfortunately I was sitting 5 rows off of the court and it's etched in my brain.
I was there too!
We were left with two pretty sad days in Minneapolis.

I was there with a bunch of Wisconsin grads. Between games they, like everyone else in the place, took off their Wisconsin red shirts and replaced them with Marquette ones.

Great way to reward the higher seeded team.

I was there too!
We were left with two pretty sad days in Minneapolis.

If you guys remember, Pitt had problems with athletic teams in the Big East days!

Yeah, we had all kinds of problems with those UConn and Syracuse teams that were some of the most athletic teams in the country. What, we beat them both combined two times in all those years? Or was it three?

o_O

Playing another man's or teams game is a mistake in any sport . Do what you do best and if it's not good enough that's just the way that it is . IMO JDs biggest mistake was not staying with a system that was so successful in the BE . Only change once its proven that your style of play will not be successful and Va has shown that a tough disciplined style of play can be very successful in the ACC .

Agree. We don't see thug ball like Gtown used so well under big JT, but there's plenty of banging in the ACC.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT