ADVERTISEMENT

Could Walt Harris turn this offense around?

He developed quarterbacks and was talented with his wide receivers producing a Biletnikoff winer and a Heisman runner up.

Walt may have had his flaws, but I was sad to see him go.

Way too long past time with Walt. I always would have loved to see Walt be the offensive coordinator under Dave. I think he would have turned stull into a beast...no way that priestly and Turman were more talented than him.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
He developed quarterbacks and was talented with his wide receivers producing a Biletnikoff winer and a Heisman runner up.

The biggest problem with our offense isn’t Watson and it isn’t Pickett and it isn’t our receivers and it isn’t our running game. It is the O line’s ability to protect Pickett in the pocket. Get that fixed and our offense will do just fine. Pickett simply doesn’t have time to get our receivers the ball downfield.

The same is true on the other side of the ball. Our D line can’t consistently stop the run or get pressure on the QB. Football isn’t rocket science or brain surgery. Get the lines fixed and the rest usually falls in line.

Reactions: TD_6082
Almost anyone could turn the O around including this guy.
mickey-mouse-clubhouse-characters-faces-Mickey_Mouse_Clubhouse_-_Mickey_-_Playhouse_Disney_Canada.png

Ok Wanny HC, Walt OC, not sure what happens on D but this is a really good option.
Both Walt and Wanny will be here for a while so let's make it happen!

Love to see Wanny HC, Walt OC, and offer some $ to a great fresh successful young D. Wanny and Walt would work for free almost for Pitt, they care about the school. Groom that young D cord, for the head duties in 4 or 5 years.

PIPEDREAM I KNOW. I HATE PEDERSON TO THIS DAY

Reactions: PittFanDan17

I love Walt but the thing he would fix is the offensive line. Watson should focus on that.

I understand the concern about the offense in the second half of games this year, but I'm much more concerned about the defense, especially the passing defense.

Testaverde, McSorely and Elliott, all made one clutch throw after another against Pitt this year.

We scored 35 points against UNC. That should be enough to win the vast majority of games. I can see UCF putting 50+ on us easily...

Good lord. We should make Narduzzi our DC and Harris our OC and Wanny our HC. We'd pass for 400 yards but not be able to run it for anything. We'd stuff everyone's running game only to watch them pass for 400 yards and score at will. We'd have dozens of 4 and 5 star athletes all over the roster. I mean literally they would be all over the roster, switching positions from play to play as Wanny tries to figure out where to put them. Every game would be the same. We take a huge lead and then choke it away and lose in the final seconds.

Good lord. We should make Narduzzi our DC and Harris our OC and Wanny our HC. We'd pass for 400 yards but not be able to run it for anything. We'd stuff everyone's running game only to watch them pass for 400 yards and score at will. We'd have dozens of 4 and 5 star athletes all over the roster. I mean literally they would be all over the roster, switching positions from play to play as Wanny tries to figure out where to put them. Every game would be the same. We take a huge lead and then choke it away and lose in the final seconds.

Except Duzz D SUCKS, Walt had some nice offense's, and recruit skill positions pretty well.

I do miss Walt's passing offense. There were always guys open.

It's pretty depressing we haven't had a really good combination of an offensive coach and quarterback since Walt.

We had Wanny who had talent and a running game but an archaic passing attack. He didn't recruit good QB's. Haywood lol ok. Graham (to be fair, only here for one year so how much can you install) limit receivers to three routes. Chryst is pretty good with quarterbacks but had some pretty bad ones to work with; it kept him stuck in 6 wins per year mode. Our passing game now so far hasn't gotten our somewhat talented QB the confidence to do anything beyond check downs and bootlegs passes to the flats.

I would love for us to be an "odd ball" team of the ACC and go full Air Raid or Run n Shoot (hire Rolovich. jk, maybe.) Syracuse has scored a lot of points with the Baylor offense and inferior talent. Of course we need to recruit better too, but it would be nice to just have some guys catching passes down field again because it's felt like it's been a couple decades since we routinely saw that.

I will always be grateful for Walt's resurrection of the Pitt program from the dumpster, but don't forget the reality of his post-Pitt coaching career. Worst winning pct in school history at Stanford and failed miserably as OC at Akron and Cal U of PA. He's also nearly 72 and been retired for 8 years.

Alternatively, if Pitt hired a young and wildly successful OC from a school like Cal U of PA to be the next OC, the fan base would be in complete meltdown.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT