ADVERTISEMENT

CT newspaper says Hurley decision about money

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nh...onn-could-be-all-about-the-money-12762882.php

And this is what I've been saying. UConn is in bad shape. He's going to get $3 million, no doubt. That's the minimum rate for a guy like that now. So, even though he prefers UConn, would he coach them for say, $500K less than what he would make at Pitt? Throw in the higher cost of living and higher taxes in CT, you know what I'm saying?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nh...onn-could-be-all-about-the-money-12762882.php

And this is what I've been saying. UConn is in bad shape. He's going to get $3 million, no doubt. That's the minimum rate for a guy like that now. So, even though he prefers UConn, would he coach them for say, $500K less than what he would make at Pitt? Throw in the higher cost of living and higher taxes in CT, you know what I'm saying?
We don’t need Todd Graham 2.0. He better be all in if we hire him.

We don’t need Todd Graham 2.0. He better be all in if we hire him.

Money matters.

Reactions: twtolearn
If he really prefers Connecticut to us and only comes to us because of a few more bucks, is that someone who sounds like he would be really committed to our program?

Who is committed to any program? Do you think Pitt is Danny Hurley's dream job? He would be our coach until a bigger, better job offers. I mean that's how this works. You know that, right?

Who is committed to any program? Do you think Pitt is Danny Hurley's dream job? He would be our coach until a bigger, better job offers. I mean that's how this works. You know that, right?
The truly successful programs have coaches who commit to their schools for long periods of time and vice versa. You realize that I'm sure.

Besides the blue bloods, who does that? UVa with Bennett maybe but he hasn't been there that long. Alum coaches dont count like Huggins because there's that emotional attachment. Every job but 5-10 are stepping stone jobs

Reactions: Jpripper88
I havent looked at the numbers but if pitt offers around 3.2 million thats gotta be top 20 right? Looking at it from Uconn perspective, Its a state school in a cash strapped state. I guess boosters could kick in but that arena they play in is a dump. Plus Calhoun is still around looking over the shoulder of any new coach. Throw in Ncaa sanctions that they may not fight to keep from not having to pay Ollie. I dont undertand why everyone thinks its a forgone that hurley takes that job.

Reactions: PittMan 72
That’s why you put in an expensive buyout to protect yourself . Just like the coach has a guranateed contract if fire ( except at Pitt ) !

Besides the blue bloods, who does that? UVa with Bennett maybe but he hasn't been there that long. Alum coaches dont count like Huggins because there's that emotional attachment. Every job but 5-10 are stepping stone jobs
We had continuity for 10+years before it finally blew up. There are many other very solid programs with longer term coaches who have had success as well. If coaches only stay for 4 or so years, chances are those school will rarely have any long term success

Reactions: DiehardPanther

You certainly are correct with this .

But rebuilding Pitt MAY take longer than hoped .....and Hurley could easily leave for a top program before his work is done at PITT.

With Miller....I could see him staying here as long as he was at Arizona.

In my mind the big question is why he would prefer UConn.

Is it because his recruiting connections are all or mostly in the Northeast? If so, that would raise a red flag for me. Don't forget that a large component of Dixon's recruiting drop off was very likely associated with Pitt's move from the Big East to the ACC. Pitt was no longer of as much interest to recruits in New York and Philly due to the switch to the ACC.

Is it because his recruiting connections are all or mostly in the Northeast? If so, that would raise a red flag for me. Don't forget that a large component of Dixon's recruiting drop off was very likely associated with Pitt's move from the Big East to the ACC. Pitt was no longer of as much interest to recruits in New York and Philly due to the switch to the ACC.

I see it in reverse. Pitt, Syracuse, and BC are still north of mason-dixon. Maybe we can build new pipelines (some of the Catholic school ones have literally closed, i.e. aren't schools anymore) to the east coast with Hurley's staff instead of fumbling for the leftover players from Maryland (while UMD and Georgetown aren't even in the ACC anyway.) The eastern kids didn't disappear, they're going to private basketball academies, they're finding college coaches on the AAU circuits, and Hurley is getting some good ones.

I didn't see it mentioned in that article, but Colin Dunlap (I know, I know...) said this morning that the salary also has to be approved by the Connecticut legislature because he is a state employee. I'd assume that could drag their situation out a little.

I see it in reverse. Pitt, Syracuse, and BC are still north of mason-dixon. Maybe we can build new pipelines (some of the Catholic school ones have literally closed, i.e. aren't schools anymore) to the east coast with Hurley's staff instead of fumbling for the leftover players from Maryland (while UMD and Georgetown aren't even in the ACC anyway.) The eastern kids didn't disappear, they're going to private basketball academies, they're finding college coaches on the AAU circuits, and Hurley is getting some good ones.

I have always rejected the notion that the move the ACC was the primary factor effecting recruiting.

First, JD started to slip a few years prior to the move.

But, to the point that you note, Pittsburgh is positioned geographically to still get those kids from the NE, it just took a different sell - outside of Syracuse, Pittsburgh is the place these kids can go where their family and friends could still get down to see them play.

The biggest issue was his losing his fire for recruiting & bagging out on building his staff. I TRIED to get on board, but Williamson with connections in the Chicago area?

Jesus.

If he really prefers Connecticut to us and only comes to us because of a few more bucks, is that someone who sounds like he would be really committed to our program?
No.

If I were the ASD and felt that any coach preferred another job but would take Pitt if Pitt made a larger offer, then I'd pass on the guy - unless he were a proven Hall of Fame type coach.

There really is no true east coast conference now. ACC has some, Big 10 has some, Big East has some, AAC has some. So there is no reason we shouldn't be in the mix for eastern recruits. And if they're NJ-born kids playing in Virginia for some private school, all the better. Come on Hurley!

That definitely isn't it, if you look at his recruiting at RI. He has had more recruits and success in the DMV than NY/NJ.

I have always rejected the notion that the move the ACC was the primary factor effecting recruiting.

First, JD started to slip a few years prior to the move.

But, to the point that you note, Pittsburgh is positioned geographically to still get those kids from the NE, it just took a different sell - outside of Syracuse, Pittsburgh is the place these kids can go where their family and friends could still get down to see them play.

The biggest issue was his losing his fire for recruiting & bagging out on building his staff. I TRIED to get on board, but Williamson with connections in the Chicago area?

Jesus.
The ACC was loading up on top NYC - and Philly - area basketball talent by the league's formation. The 32-0 1957 NCAA champ Tar Heels started 5 guys who played HS ball in NYC. Dook built a program very much on northeastern talent, perhaps especially from across PA.

Going to the ACC never hurts any team signing top basketball talent from the northeast.

Reactions: Jeffburgh
No.

If I were the ASD and felt that any coach preferred another job but would take Pitt if Pitt made a larger offer, then I'd pass on the guy - unless he were a proven Hall of Fame type coach.
I sure am glad you aren't involved in the process.

I havent looked at the numbers but if pitt offers around 3.2 million thats gotta be top 20 right? Looking at it from Uconn perspective, Its a state school in a cash strapped state. I guess boosters could kick in but that arena they play in is a dump. Plus Calhoun is still around looking over the shoulder of any new coach. Throw in Ncaa sanctions that they may not fight to keep from not having to pay Ollie. I dont undertand why everyone thinks its a forgone that hurley takes that job.

Excellent points and analysis.

It will all come down to DH's own personal aspirations and preferences. But it seems as though Pitt is giving him something to give serious consideration about.

That definitely isn't it, if you look at his recruiting at RI. He has had more recruits and success in the DMV than NY/NJ.

Not really true, though he seems to recruit pretty well all over.

Home towns of their current roster:
2 - NY (high school in New Mexico and Texas though)
2 - NJ
2 - LA
2 - MD
1 - WI
1 - MI
1 - PA (imhotep charter, should be a major target for Pitt)
1 - RI
1 - MA
1 - Italy
1 - Nigeria

2018 commits are more heavily DMV though. Plus one more from MA.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT