ADVERTISEMENT

Current 2019-2020 Roster

DC_Area_Panther

Head Coach
Jul 7, 2001
PG Xavier Johnson SO
G Trey McGowens SO
F/G Au'diese Toney SO
PG Sidy N'Dir GRAD (Returning for 6th Yr?)
PG Curtis Aiken, Jr. RS Fr (Walk-on)
F/C Kene Chukwuka SR
F/C Terrell Brown JR
G Anthony Starzynski SR (Walk-On)
F Samson George JR (To Transfer Out?)
G Onyebuchi Ezeakudo SO (Walk-On)
F/C Karim Coulibaly FR
F Justin Champagnie FR
G/F Gerald Drumgoole FR

Observations:

(1) Currently nine (9) ships accounted for unless N'Dir returns and/or George transfers.

(2) A minimum of 4 ships still open (3 open if both N'Dir and George return) since the NCAA limit is 13 ships.

(3) Some ships could (or ought to) be left open for 2020 class recruiting.

(4) IMHO, ideal closeout--assuming N'Dir not back--is Sy + Diallo + Nkamhoua plus a Grad transfer PG.

(5) Assuming this ideal closeout were to occur--then, for 2020 recruiting you would have 1 ship left over unused from 2019 plus Chukwuka and the grad transfer (or N'Dir) graduating o opening 2 more ships for a total of 3. And then, if Samson were to transfer out either now or next year there would be 4 ships to give for the 2020 class.

Last edited:
Reactions: VincePITT
PG Xavier Johnson SO
G Trey McGowens SO
F/G Au'diese Toney SO
F/C Kene Chukwuka SR
F/C Terrell Brown JR
F/C Karim Coulibaly FR
F Justin Champagnie FR
G/F Gerald Drumgoole FR

(1) Currently nine (9) ships accounted for unless N'Dir returns and/or George transfers.

(2) A minimum of 4 ships still open (3 open if both N'Dir and George return).

(3) Some ships could (or ought to) be left open for 2020 class recruiting

(4) IMHO, ideal closeout--assuming N'Dir not back--is Sy + Diallo + Nkamhoua plus a Grad transfer PG.

(5) Assuming this ideal closeout were to occur--then, for 2020 recruiting you would have have 1 left over open from 2019 ship plus Chukwuka and the grad transfer (or N'Dir) graduating to open 2 more ships for a total of 3. And then, if Samson transfers it would leave 4 open ships to give for the 2020 class.

Edited to correct some errors.

Still no centers.need one bad.maybe sy?then we could have the sidy and sy show.lol

Under this scenario, the 6-10 JUCO Sy would play center with Brown backing him up or sharing the position with Diallo, the raw 7 foot freshman, being slowly developed--mainly in practice, and possibly as a Redshirt.

Reactions: Elsalvador
They don’t even list George as a possible returnee. He’s gone.

Don’t think Ndir is back and Kene May be gone as well.

I think we turnover this roster and some really good additions are made.

@hoopsguy72 what do you think?

They don’t even list George as a possible returnee. He’s gone.

Don’t think Ndir is back and Kene May be gone as well.

I think we turnover this roster and some really good additions are made.

@hoopsguy72 what do you think?

I wouldn’t be surprised if George is gone. But, where is he not listed. Official site still listed him on the roster earlier today.

That roster is 100% better than 2 years ago. It's going to be 100% better from today in 2 more years.

PG Xavier Johnson SO
G Trey McGowens SO
F/G Au'diese Toney SO
F/C Kene Chukwuka SR
F/C Terrell Brown JR
F/C Karim Coulibaly FR
F Justin Champagnie FR
G/F Gerald Drumgoole FR

Observations:

(2) A minimum of 4 ships still open (3 open if both N'Dir and George return) since the NCAA limit is 13 ships.

(3) Some ships could (or ought to) be left open for 2020 class recruiting.

(5) Assuming this ideal closeout were to occur--then, for 2020 recruiting you would have 1 ship left over unused from 2019 plus Chukwuka and the grad transfer (or N'Dir) graduating o opening 2 more ships for a total of 3. And then, if Samson were to transfer out either now or next year there would be 4 ships to give for the 2020 class.

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
I wouldn’t be surprised if George is gone. But, where is he not listed. Official site still listed him on the roster earlier today.
I think he means the handful of press releases the team has put out so far this offseason where George isn’t mentioned at all as a returning player. Could be nothing, could mean something.

Brown is 100% a center. Don’t see him as being quick enough to be a stretch 4.

His poor hands and lack of quick hops also makes him a poor offensive low post player. So, the reality is he is neither a good center nor PF offensively. He is a limited player overall. We just have to use him as our center because we don't have a more skilled option at the present time.

In the classical sense, he isn't a Center offensively. His best offensive skill is a face the basket jumper. He isn't a back to the basket post up player.

Just because he doesn't have a good back to the basket post game doesn't mean he's not a center..

He's a rim protecting center that can do a little bit of facing up. His hook shot isn't awful either. He's 100% a center.

Just because he doesn't have a good back to the basket post game doesn't mean he's not a center..

He's a rim protecting center that can do a little bit of facing up. His hook shot isn't awful either. He's 100% a center.

Whether he is or isn't a center in the traditional sense isn't the
real issue that we have IMO. The point is he isn't a starter, he's
clearly a substitute. Personally I want to see SY as our starter, or
a grad transfer if there is one out there.
Either way, Brown could then be the backup and
contribute off the bench. This scenario would totally change our
team for the better.
Where I differ from many on here is with Chuka. He has a floor game
that Brown doesn't have. He can move his feet, catch and hold on to the ball, and come off screens for an occasional layup. I could
see him playing alongside a Sy or the grad transfer for certain
stretches in a game. He'd also be better on the boards with
another Big next to him. There's NO WAY Chuka and Brown
could be on the floor together. I see Chuka as a natural forward
who could help us in certain situations, as long as we had a
legitimate Big.

As glaring as a talent deficiency as we have at center.
We have even a bigger deficiency at the 4.
We literally have no one with that skill set yet.
That Sueing kid looks nice. But it will be tough to get him and he may have to sit out a year.
So yeah like everyone knows on this board. We need talent and lots of it.
Luckily we have room now.

That is what I was meaning.he isn’t the traditional play down low type of player.

My meaning was essentially the same as Chescat’s.

IMHO, Brown is an inadequate Big (whether he is called a center or a PF) to be the primary (starting) big man on a team that hopes to be among the top five (5) teams in the ACC.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chescat
It'd be cool if Justin Champagnie is really 6 foot 8 like some have been claiming lately.

Reactions: Jeffburgh
As glaring as a talent deficiency as we have at center.
We have even a bigger deficiency at the 4.
We literally have no one with that skill set yet.
That Sueing kid looks nice. But it will be tough to get him and he may have to sit out a year.
So yeah like everyone knows on this board. We need talent and lots of it.
Luckily we have room now.

I disagree. You can get by with a guy like Toney at the 4. A lot of teams play basically 4 guards anyway. Plus, Toney rebounds well for his size. The 1 thing holding this team back from at least the fringes of the bubble is a Center who can rebound and finish simple dump offs from Johnson and McGowens.

I would settle for 6-7 + 1/2!
Lol
I disagree. You can get by with a guy like Toney at the 4. A lot of teams play basically 4 guards anyway. Plus, Toney rebounds well for his size. The 1 thing holding this team back from at least the fringes of the bubble is a Center who can rebound and finish simple dump offs from Johnson and McGowens.
Yeah capel has no interest of keeping Toney at the 4.
You can get by with alot of things it doesn't mean you should.

IMHO, Capel wants someone as mobile as Toney out there helping on the boards and inside but someone with more height and/or reach--perhaps someone like what the 6-8 Nkamhoua would be projected to be after a year or two of development or Justin Champagnie assuming he isn't only 6-5 and is actually in the 6-7 to 6-8 range (assuming his height is inaccurate or that he is still growing--if either is true).

Last edited:
I'm fine with Brown, but just not as a starter. I'm sure Capel's been lighting a fire under hi a** all season and really late into the season. He needs to show more effort, enthusiasm and passion while in games. Capel needs to find an immediate starter and maybe that's Sy as a non-traditional/position-less lineup.

Yeah - at least to progress from a bottom three ACC team to a team that can push toward the middle of the ACC.

To get into that top 5 ACC team level, they have be able to get the versatile 6-8ish inside out type PF, but they can get by with a Toney sized guy to take the next step if they have a center who can control the boards defensively (not just get rebounds, but clear out the post on defense, and can as you note convert at the rim offensively.

IMHO, Capel wants someone as mobile as Toney out there helping on the boards and inside but someone with more height and/or reach--perhaps someone like what the 6-8 Nkamhoua would be projected after a year or two of development of Champagnie assuming he isn't really only 6-5 and is actually in the 6-7 to 6-8 range by the time he is finished growing (assuming his height is inaccurate or that he is still growing--if he is).

YEP.

I guess guys like Lane , Shorter , and even Blair weren’t big enough since none of those guys were 6’8” !

Size is great ,but
It’s how strong you are
It’s how’s your natural instincts
It’s how high you jump
It’s how quick you get off your feet
It’s about heart
But size is great

Size is great
IMHO, Capel wants someone as mobile as Toney out there helping on the boards and inside but someone with more height and/or reach--perhaps someone like what the 6-8 Nkamhoua would be projected to be after a year or two of development or Justin Champagnie assuming he isn't only 6-5 and is actually in the 6-7 to 6-8 range (assuming his height is inaccurate or that he is still growing--if either is true).

Reactions: gary2
We're all kinda saying the same thing. Yes we can get by with a guy like Toney
as long as we have a legitimate inside guy. Call that inside guy what you want;
center, non-center whatever. He has to be able to rebound, protect the rim,
play tough D, be somewhat of a scoring threat, etc. etc.
If we get that inside presence that we need, then yes Toney is ok. I say ok, because
he is tough, plays very good D, and rebounds well for his size. Much as I like
him, he has some problems. His shot needs to really improve. He has to be able
to hit that 8-15 foot jumper. If he can hit the corner J that he missed over and
over last year, then he's really valuable. If he can't shoot better along the baseline,
he's a problem...the D can just sag off him, take away his drive to the hoop,
and dare him to shoot. If that's the case a bigger forward would help. If we
don't get one, I'd like to see Chuka at least get a chance at the forward spot
alonside a BIG for some limited time.
By the way, Brown has the best baseline jumper than all these guys,
but I want him as a backup BIG not as a forward The good news is Capel
will have some options this year, where as he had none last year.
Anyway...just my take on this issue.

I think Capel just wants to improve the overall talent of the roster, regardless of position. Obviously he’d like a plug-and-play center and a solid backup point guard, but they already have more frontcourt depth than they had last year (which is really sad), and I bet finding an N’dir type of player wouldn’t be too hard for next season. So we’ll just sit back, relax, and see who commits. I don’t think he’s as worried about who plays the “4” or the “5” as a lot of you guys are speculating. And college basketball is becoming more of a position less sport anyway

I think Capel just wants to improve the overall talent of the roster, regardless of position. Obviously he’d like a plug-and-play center and a solid backup point guard, but they already have more frontcourt depth than they had last year (which is really sad), and I bet finding an N’dir type of player wouldn’t be too hard for next season. So we’ll just sit back, relax, and see who commits. I don’t think he’s as worried about who plays the “4” or the “5” as a lot of you guys are speculating. And college basketball is becoming more of a position less sport anyway

Good post. Yes, you're right, all we can really do is "sit back, relax, and
see who commits.
It's sometimes fun "speculating".......not necessarily suggesting
that Capel is worried. Personally I feel that he knows just where he wants
to go with all this.
However in the meantime, I'm pretty certain there will be a lot of "speculating"
on this board.. LOL

Last edited:
I guess guys like Lane , Shorter , and even Blair weren’t big enough since none of those guys were 6’8” !

Size is great ,but
It’s how strong you are
It’s how high you jump
It’s about heart
But size is great

Size is great

Yes. Of course, all those things can compensate for lack of actual height to a greater or lesser degree but reach and length (which are usually linked to height) remain the key.

We generally associate hoops players position suitable size with height because that is normally the way it goes. However, if you are like Blair at 6-5 1/2 (?) but you have the same length and reach as a 6-10 guy (as Blair did) then you are effectively a 6-10 center despite not being 6-10 in head height. Toney and most guys at 6-5-ish don't have the length and reach reach of a Blair so they don't play bigger than their head height and so you would prefer a 6-7 to 6-9 guy as your secondary big instead. Or, perhaps a guy with Toney's height but who has the extra length and reach to play taller than his height.

Some godly power grants a two inch growth spurt for Toney and then what. He kicks it out to a teammate after squeezing the life out of a rebound. Better yet he takes the shot. The ball ain't going in the hole either way folks. Toney can be a serviceable energy guy coming off the bench. Good D and great athleticism. Can't shoot. Nor can any of his options/teammates after he grabs a rebound. Anyone watch any games the past week or two? We're in an age when players take a small step back to take a 3 and players pass up layups only to kick the ball out to a sharpshooter. Pitt's backcourt can penetrate but are left with no options to pass to beyond the arc. This area needs addressed as much as the 5 position.

Reactions: Harve74

Size is great ,but
It’s how strong you are
It’s how high you jump
It’s about heart
But size is great

Size is great

"It's about wingspan." - Jay Bilas

Some godly power grants a two inch growth spurt for Toney and then what. He kicks it out to a teammate after squeezing the life out of a rebound. Better yet he takes the shot. The ball ain't going in the hole either way folks. Toney can be a serviceable energy guy coming off the bench. Good D and great athleticism. Can't shoot. Nor can any of his options/teammates after he grabs a rebound. Anyone watch any games the past week or two? We're in an age when players take a small step back to take a 3 and players pass up layups only to kick the ball out to a sharpshooter. Pitt's backcourt can penetrate but are left with no options to pass to beyond the arc. This area needs addressed as much as the 5 position.
I agree a shooter another shooter is important.
I do think Toney will improve his shooting.
I also think Trey will get better.
He needs confidence and I think the offseason will benefit him tremendously.
Drumgoole will be good and I believe eventually will be considered a one of the better shooters in the conference, (eventually).
X should increase his 3 volume this year. His percentage went down as the season went along. But it hovered around 40% most of the year.
As well as his free throw percentage.
Yes and this still is not good enough.
You definitely would want another option of a guy who hits 3's at around 40%.

This!

The offensive portion of the game has evolved to attacking the rim and shooting treys.

We're pretty good at the first and pretty bad at the second.

My biggest concern about recruiting is NOT at center, but that next season's roster is shaping up to have ONE guy who is above average in shooting thress, Drumgoole. And he's only a freshman more used to a supporting role, not a volume shoo

Unless we have a major improvement in this skill from our returning rising sophs, next year will be another long season.

As the tournament progressed, we saw most winning teams having multiple players drilling long shots - not only guards and wings but frontcourt players. Shooting from the perimeter forces the defense to extend and creates lanes to attack the rim.

We seem to be trending towards a roster heavy with 6-5 to 6-7 wings, few of which have more than a nodding acquaintance with the jump shot. At the same time, fans are calling for signing two more post players, when we already have a commitment from 6-9 Coulibaly, as well as Brown and possibly Chukwuku returning.

We really only use one big at a time in the 1-out, 4-in system Capel prefers. Can we afford to fill 4 or 5 scholarship slots out of 13 with post players in an era when centers are increasingly irrelevant?

It's a guards' game. Maybe we need more guards?

Capel has referenced "position-less basketball" and like you said @Harve74 , we'll see more of 6'5" to 6'9"..No true Center is fine. It's a shooters game and not a huge amount of back-to-the-basket players anymore.

Athletic bigs are the wave of the future.
More guards/ballhandlers and DEFINITELY more shooters are needed desperately. JWF had a very good season and hopefully Drumgoole can replicate that, but I don't think he will as a true freshmen.

Capel has referenced "position-less basketball" and like you said @Harve74 , we'll see more of 6'5" to 6'9"..No true Center is fine. It's a shooters game and not a huge amount of back-to-the-basket players anymore.

Athletic bigs are the wave of the future.
More guards/ballhandlers and DEFINITELY more shooters are needed desperately. JWF had a very good season and hopefully Drumgoole can replicate that, but I don't think he will as a true freshmen.
Agree completely on athletic bigs. Today's bigs do things that were unheard of even 20 years ago.

I don't mind having a rim defender like Diallo (or Ugboh) on the roster, but, probably not two or three of them. I like the idea of adding athletic guys like ORN. Good teams in the NCAAT seemed to have two or three 6-8, -9, -10 mobile, multi-skilled guys, not stiffs.

There's still talk of a reclassification. Possibly THAT could provide more scoring/shooting punch. It IS needed.

There's still talk of a reclassification. Possibly THAT could provide more scoring/shooting punch. It IS needed.

I would really hope it's possible this certain recruit could re-classify..Assuming it's the same name that's been mentioned on the premium board, so I won't post it here. Unless you're hearing somebody completely different.

Yes, Brown can have some nice double digit scoring outputs and maybe 6-8 board, but then he has some duds and you didn't even realize he played that given game. A rim protector would be nice. Look at Diakite for UVA - not flashy, but does the little things that don't always get noticed by that stat fanatics.

This!

The offensive portion of the game has evolved to attacking the rim and shooting treys.

My biggest concern about recruiting is NOT at center, but that next season's roster is shaping up to have ONE guy who is above average in shooting thress, Drumgoole. And he's only a freshman more used to a supporting role, not a volume shoo

Unless we have a major improvement in this skill from our returning rising sophs, next year will be another long season.

As the tournament progressed, we saw most winning teams having multiple players drilling long shots - not only guards and wings but frontcourt players. Shooting from the perimeter forces the defense to extend and creates lanes to attack the rim.

We seem to be trending towards a roster heavy with 6-5 to 6-7 wings, few of which have more than a nodding acquaintance with the jump shot. At the same time, fans are calling for signing two more post players, when we already have a commitment from 6-9 Coulibaly, as well as Brown and possibly Chukwuku returning.

We really only use one big at a time in the 1-out, 4-in system Capel prefers. Can we afford to fill 4 or 5 scholarship slots out of 13 with post players in an era when centers are increasingly irrelevant?

This team is not going to win the NCAAs next season.

It is not going to be a top 5 ACC team next season.

The next step next year is fighting to get into the middle of the pack in the ACC next year, and get into the NCAAs by 2020-21.

I don't disagree that another shooter would be great. But, the make of the team right now is going to be roll up your sleeves and play defense, try to get the transition game going and continue work on attacking the rim and getting the guys on board already to make their threes.

Gotta walk before you run, and HCJC is literally starting from scratch.

Even before Kene got operated on and is very possible to not be available at the start of next season, at best, they needed a plug and play big man to:

1) Either be better than Brown
2) Be better than Kene and thereby make the team better immediately even if he is not better than Brown
3) Give Brown an actual big man to challenge him to compete harder and have someone to challenge him in practice.

I totally agree on not mucking up the roster with Diallo, given getting Coulibaly, but as it stands today Coulibaly would be forced to play at least 15 minutes more games.

They HAVE to get JC or transfer big man to not leave them hamstrung in ACC play in the post.

Yes, the game has changed, and HCJC is going to play 1 in/4 out. But, that makes the center spot EVEN MORE important. You HAVE to have a someone who can move, but at the same time be tough enough help control the paint on the defensive end, and be able to simply just convert at the rim on contested put backs or dunks.

Given where this team is now, where the roster is now, the one thing that is setting the ceiling for next year is not having another viable center.

Get Sy or someone similar and let the best man win, and the prospects for next season to take the step the need to take get much better than trying worm around to get someone who shoot them into a few wins.

Reactions: Drew1208
This!

It seems that they are recruiting more guards. The question is will they get the commits and will the guys they are recruiting be immediately eligible.

Regardless of the guard issue (and losing JWF and N'Dir is a concern), we do need better bigs than Brown and Chukwuka if we are to improve. We need to be able to rebound a lot better (especially offensively) and we need bigs who can finish inside when guarded instead of getting blocked. And, a strong inside game opens the perimeter up for 3-point shooters by causing the defense to collapse which gives the shooters more open looks.

So, IMHO, the bottom line is we need both better big men and more 3-point shooters.

In any event I don't see any real conflict at this moment between recruiting bigs and shooters for a number of reasons (listed in no particular order of significance):

1. We have plenty of ship room (at least 4 ships still open) and could have at least one more if George transfers out.
2. Brown and Chukwuka in the ACC world should be no better than 2nd and 3rd options in the post.
3. Coulibaly's video makes him seem like he is a big with jump shooting range out to the arc.
4. We seem to be hoping for one play-now big (Sy) and one Freshman developmental big (Diallo) who might even need a redshirt year for proper development.
5. Robinson-Nkamhoua was originally a shooting guard before growing so he may potentially be a taller (6-8) 3-point shooter and play more wing than post or power forward.
6. It seems unlikely, although still possible, that we would land all three of Sy, Diallo and Robinson-Nkamhoua.
7. If we did land all 3 of the above "bigs", IMHO, Samson would definitely be gone and if Chukwuka graduates by summer he could grad transfer somewhere also.
8. Several guards are being recruited, including a couple of transfers who might need to sit and there should be room for one or two of them should they decide to commit.

In any event, we should know where we stand overall as regards both bigs and shooters within the next 30-60 days as the Spring signing period ends on May 15.

Personally speaking, I will be happy if we wind up with a roster that gets us to advance to a 0.500 or slightly above finish (i.e, 18-15 or 17-16 vs last season's 14-19) and an NIT shot.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT