ADVERTISEMENT

D-Day

TheSpecialSauce

Chancellor
Gold Member
Nov 15, 2019
D-Day.gif

Band of Brothers episode 2 or Saving Private Ryan should be required viewing for everyone.
Read and watch Cornelius Ryan’s The Longest Day. Also I finished last year Antony Beevor D-Day. The two month battle of Normandy. What was interesting was how the German soldiers were told the Americans were savages and would scalp them. Anyway here is to Mr. Mueller a neighbor of mine growing up. He was in the second wave. I asked him what did he do that day? He hid behind a blown up Jeep and prayed. Eventually he would charge. God Bless each and everyone of those poor souls that day.

Read and watch Cornelius Ryan’s The Longest Day. Also I finished last year Antony Beevor D-Day. The two month battle of Normandy. What was interesting was how the German soldiers were told the Americans were savages and would scalp them. Anyway here is to Mr. Mueller a neighbor of mine growing up. He was in the second wave. I asked him what did he do that day? He hid behind a blown up Jeep and prayed. Eventually he would charge. God Bless each and everyone of those poor souls that day.
Thanks. Haven't watched that one yet but will. It's free to watch on YouTube; if anyone else is interested.

Reactions: TFBaum
I want no one to tell me about how hard they have it by not getting their vaccine or that the economy was hurt—just think about what guts it took to run off of the front of that troop transport and onto the beach at Normandy-knowing that you and the guys beside you would probably die within minutes. Let’s please join back to make this country what they gave their lives to protect-One nation under God with liberty and justice for ALL.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/1960/11/first-wave-at-omaha-beach/303365/

I read this every year.

SLA Marshall is one of the US Army's most well-known historians and wrote this in 1960 about the first wave at Omaha Beach. Of the two Divisions (about 120 companies), maybe six rifle companies were combat effective. Able Company, 116th Infantry, 29th Division, apparently contributed 2 privates out of about 120 men to the fight. Everyone else was killed, wounded, or unable to advance offensively due to German machine gun fire.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/1960/11/first-wave-at-omaha-beach/303365/

I read this every year.

SLA Marshall is one of the US Army's most well-known historians and wrote this in 1960 about the first wave at Omaha Beach. Of the two Divisions (about 120 companies), maybe six rifle companies were combat effective. Able Company, 116th Infantry, 29th Division, apparently contributed 2 privates out of about 120 men to the fight. Everyone else was killed, wounded, or unable to advance offensively due to German machine gun fire.

That article should be required reading for every American every year on this day.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT