ADVERTISEMENT

D2 leading scorer grad transfer candidate

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Amir Hinton, who played 2 seasons at Lock Haven after redshirting his freshman year is averaging 31.6 at Shaw University in Raleigh. He's a 6'5 guard from Philly. Some think he's an NBA guy.

http://www.phillytrib.com/sports/ph...cle_5e388f34-7ff8-5fa9-9db4-5e42d632f580.html

Here's another interesting one from up the road at Slippery Rock.

Micah Till 6'7 PF from Upper Marlboro, MD. Played freshman season as a TE on NC State football team before transferring to a JUCO to play hoops. Averaged 21 and 12 his sophomore year at The Rock. Averaging 21, 10, and 2 blocks this year. Sight unseen, I would say he is much better than Kene.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
Amir Hinton, who played 2 seasons at Lock Haven after redshirting his freshman year is averaging 31.6 at Shaw University in Raleigh. He's a 6'5 guard from Philly. Some think he's an NBA guy.

http://www.phillytrib.com/sports/ph...cle_5e388f34-7ff8-5fa9-9db4-5e42d632f580.html

Micah Till 6'7 PF from Upper Marlboro, MD. Played freshman season as a TE on NC State football team before transferring to a JUCO to play hoops. Averaged 21 and 12 his sophomore year at The Rock. Averaging 21, 10, and 2 blocks this year. Sight unseen, I would say he is much better than Kene.
There is no doubt that there are lower level D1 and D2 guys out there that could help us out.

Till played against Pitt in Pitt’s exhibition game vs SRU last season- he went for 12-7 according to the box score. I kind of remember him - SRU had some size.

Reactions: jctrack
I'd take either guy and possibly both. Amir Hinton is intriguing.

Duncan Robinson was the leading scorer in D2 or D3 and transferred to Michigan and had a nice career there. So it can be done. Pitt definitely needs shooting, close to Philly. I'm all for it.

Duncan Robinson was the leading scorer in D2 or D3 and transferred to Michigan and had a nice career there. So it can be done. Pitt definitely needs shooting, close to Philly. I'm all for it.
There are some pretty ridiculously talented Juco talents out there too, with no offers yet.

Robinson was D3.

I get the sense that Hinton may declare for the draft. If not, seems like he would be sought after by bigger programs.

Till is the guy I think we can get and is at an area of need. Rebounding is the one skill that translates level to level and while his numbers would drop, he would still be a 6-8 RPG game guy. Would be a major upgrade from Kene and probably Brown. Kinda sounds like a Ryan Luther a little. The thought of a TE turned bball player on the glass for us would be welcome considering how soft we are currently.

Robinson was D3.

I get the sense that Hinton may declare for the draft. If not, seems like he would be sought after by bigger programs.

Till is the guy I think we can get and is at an area of need. Rebounding is the one skill that translates level to level and while his numbers would drop, he would still be a 6-8 RPG game guy. Would be a major upgrade from Kene and probably Brown. Kinda sounds like a Ryan Luther a little. The thought of a TE turned bball player on the glass for us would be welcome considering how soft we are currently.

That’s asking a lot to say an SRU transfer is going to come into the ACC and average 6-8 boards/ game.

Maybe- but that’s a big leap.

That’s asking a lot to say an SRU transfer is going to come into the ACC and average 6-8 boards/ game.

Ideally, you'd like to get better guys but we dont know who will he available and who we could get. If we have a scholarship open, I see no downside in bringing in a 21 and 12 guy from SRU. If Kene was in the PSAC, I think he'd be 8 and 6. Due to Brown's size, I think he'd be 16 and 8.

Who knows Brown is averaging 6 points 5 boards, Kene 4 and 4, this guy is obviously more physical, having originally being a D1 football player.

Starting to talk about ...taking risks?? Red flag IMHO...stay the course with our coach...give him time...for now!!

Kene would dominate at the D2 or D3 level. He would average the same numbers, if not better. If you think a kid from SRU is gonna be helpful to our team you're insane. What is happening?

Do people understand we play in the ACC? My word.
Wonder if JC is monitoring this board for ideas !

Ps ... there’s 1 out of 444 players in the NBA who played ball at a D2 school . Saying that I’m sure there’s a few guys in D2 who could help this team right now . I think JC is thinking bigger and longer term than most on this board .

Last edited:
Reactions: load1079
Kene would dominate at the D2 or D3 level. He would average the same numbers, if not better. If you think a kid from SRU is gonna be helpful to our team you're insane. What is happening?

Wonder if JC is monitoring this board for ideas !

Ps ... there’s 1 out of 444 players in the NBA who played ball at a D2 school . Saying that I’m sure there’s a few guys in D2 who could help this team right now . I think JC is thinking bigger and longer term than most on this board .

Can you show me that stat please? Whoever the 1 of 444 is I can guarantee he averaged more than 20 and 10 at SRU. He probably averaged 40 per night. Again, Kene could go to Sru and do that.

The bigger point is that we hired Jeff Capel, not Kevin Stallings 2.0. We are in some serious trouble if this top notch recruiter had to start looking at the freaking Slippery Rock players.

Again, what is happening? We lose a few ACC games and now we should consider D2 players? What???

Reactions: ScrantonicityIII
Can you show me that stat please? Whoever the 1 of 444 is I can guarantee he averaged more than 20 and 10 at SRU. He probably averaged 40 per night. Again, Kene could go to Sru and do that.

The bigger point is that we hired Jeff Capel, not Kevin Stallings 2.0. We are in some serious trouble if this top notch recruiter had to start looking at the freaking Slippery Rock players.

Again, what is happening? We lose a few ACC games and now we should consider D2 players? What???
Goggle D2 players in NBA .

Relax , I don’t think JC reads this board for recruiting ideas .

Bringing in X shows you that a players rating is not as important as a coaches eye for talent .

He is 6-7 250lbs. He was talented enough to be recruited for football and basketball in HS. He always had talent.

Goggle D2 players in NBA .

Relax , I don’t think JC reads this board for recruiting ideas .

Bringing in X shows you that a players rating is not as important as a coaches eye for talent .

What’re you getting at here? You’re all over the place.

X was a 3 star committed to Nebraska - not a D2 player from Slippery Rock.

Do you really think I believe Capel reads this garbage?

He is 6-7 250lbs. He was talented enough to be recruited for football and basketball in HS. He always had talent.

Peace Illegomah was bigger/taller and a good athlete and he sucks. He’d average 10 bounds at a D2 school.

Kene averaged 2 PPG in JUCO. Till averaged 16.

Honestly, how many PPG do you think Kene averages in the PSAC? Its a level of ball not that far off from the NEC. If you think Kene would be an All-American, you are crazy. He would average 8 and 6 as I said earlier. Kebe would be an ordinary D2 player. Till is perhaps the best big.

Last edited:
What’re you getting at here? You’re all over the place.

X was a 3 star committed to Nebraska - not a D2 player from Slippery Rock.

Do you really think I believe Capel reads this garbage?
Of course he doesn’t .

Why would anyone care what player a poster puts out there ?

No one got excited about getting X , it’s not like he was a 5* reneging on an offer from Duke . The point is let’s let JC find the talent he needs , after all it’s his job on the line not ours . Plus he’s got a way better handle on talent then any of us .

This is not KS 2.0

Ps .. they’re different thoughts not one continuous idea !

Of course he doesn’t .

Why would anyone care what player a poster puts out there ?

No one got excited about getting X , it’s not like he was a 5* reneging on an offer from Duke . The point is let’s let JC find the talent he needs , after all it’s his job on the line not ours . Plus he’s got a way better handle on talent then any of us .

This is not KS 2.0

Ps .. they’re different thoughts not one continuous idea !

IF CAPEL GETS D2 PLAYERS, IT WOULD BE BECAUSE THAT'S LAST RESORT.

Kene was a Freshman not getting minutes. Put him on that team right now.
Give it up. Kene is a bad basketball player and has always been bad. You cannot even use the excuse that he is young and developing. He is currently 22 and a half years old.

Till was also a FR at his JUCO. And why do you think Kene wasnt getting minutes?

Yes or no? Would Kene be a D2 All-Ametican?

No, Kene wouldn't be but if you think Till would be a huge upgrade at this level you're crazy. Kene would average close to 10 bounds for SRU this year. That's not a question.

Give it up. Kene is a bad basketball player and has always been bad. You cannot even use the excuse that he is young and developing. He is currently 22 and a half years old.

When did I say he was good? I never said he was young and developing either? I said when he was in a JUCO program he was a freshman and we're comparing him to Till's numbers and Till wasn't a freshman. That's my point. Put Kene on SRU right now and he puts up good numbers. That doesn't mean he's good.

No, Kene wouldn't be but if you think Till would be a huge upgrade at this level you're crazy. Kene would average close to 10 bounds for SRU this year. That's not a question.

Till would be a huge upgrade over Kene. Would he be good enough for the ACC? Probably not but he's a former TE and good rebounder so I think he could help at least a little. If we have 1 scholarship left, it sure wouldnt hurt anything to give it to this guy.

When did I say he was good? I never said he was young and developing either? I said when he was in a JUCO program he was a freshman and we're comparing him to Till's numbers and Till wasn't a freshman. That's my point. Put Kene on SRU right now and he puts up good numbers. That doesn't mean he's good.

What are you talking about? Till and Kene BOTH only played 1 year of JUCO ball, both as RS FR. 1 averaged 2. The other averaged 16. One was a D1 football recruit who Narduzzi offered. The other was not. BTW, given the dire straits our TE position is in, I'd have to think he could help out the football team too.

Chukwuka wouldnt be good at any level. The guy misses wide open layups with no one within 5 feet of him to even touch him. He could move down to the 5 year old division and he still would miss wide open layups. He cant shoot, cant jump, cant do anything. Cjcotten, give it up. No one ever agrees with you. Kene couldnt make wide open layups consistently in a game of horse against you. He is beyond terrible and his finishing ability for a post player is the worst I maybe have ever seen.

Chukwuka wouldnt be good at any level. The guy misses wide open layups with no one within 5 feet of him to even touch him. He could move down to the 5 year old division and he still would miss wide open layups. He cant shoot, cant jump, cant do anything. Cjcotten, give it up. No one ever agrees with you. Kene couldnt make wide open layups consistently in a game of horse against you. He is beyond terrible and his finishing ability for a post player is the worst I maybe have ever seen.

Did you get this info from Vader?

Go Vader!!

I think Kene averages 8 and 6 in D2. 14 and 9 in D3. 19 and 11 in the WPIAL.

Reactions: Drew1208

OK, I realize this is a highlight video but I've seen enough. This dude can DEFINITELY get minutes in the ACC. Man, I'd even go so far as to say he's better than Ryan Luther. Doing windmill dunks off a bounce in warmups, drop-step dunks, step back 3s, trying to dunk over dudes from the PSAC logo....somebody get this to Capel.

He did say sight unseen, so Im giving him a break. But I would think Kene could average 20/10 for slippery rock too??

But, certainly not disparaging the kid or any kid from D2 or 3, certainly could be a talent, and we definitely need some bodies with some size

Looks good. I did some research on Juco players last night. There are dudes out there with eye popping stats and tapes.
I checked their stats too.
Dudes out there shooting over 40% from 3s over 80% from the line, in a high volume.
Jumping out of the gym.
Some crazy good talent to be had out there.

Trust me, I am not saying Kene is a scorer, or even a DI guy most the time. I am just saying with his athleticism I think he could score a bunch more and get far more boards.

8 and 6. He's an average D2 player. The only reason he is on scholarship here is because we have nobody else. Just because a guy plays D1 doesnt mean he would dominate D2.

Kene is similar to Tyrone Haughton. Haughton averaged 4 and 6 in JUCO, didnt get off the bench here and transferred to D2 Arkansas Tech where he averaged 2.5 and 2.5. The only reason Kene plays and Haughton didnt is because we have the worst frontcourt in P5 history....and Kene at least tries hard and plays hard. There are probably some D2 schools where Kene would play less than he does here. There is no way he would put up 20 and 10 in D2. He just doesnt have that kind of ability.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT