ADVERTISEMENT

David Adams

PhPanther2

Redshirt
Apr 29, 2018
Former Central Catholic mlb that went to ND will no longer play football. I used to work with his neighbor and can vouch that he is an incredibly good kid and wish the best for him in his life after football. His body sure has taken a beating in just 19 years.

Good luck to him. He was a beast on the field and if healthy, I'm sure he would have been in college too. I don't know him personally, but know people who do and they say he is a great kid. Sad to hear but the young man needs to do what is best for his health. Getting a degree from ND is nice, I wonder if he gets to keep his scholarship.

I think I read he will get a medical hardship so I believe he does keep his scholarship.

Wow - sorry to hear this as I know football was such a big part of his life. Great family and kid. He'll be fine getting the degree in South Bend.

I posted about this during his Senior year when we were still in the mix for him. I got to meet him through a ministry that I'm involved with and yes he is an awesome person with a bright future. It just never worked out for him. I think his knee issues are congenital and he had a pretty good inkling that football was not his future. Its all probably for the best. He'll be better off without football. It still hurts that he didn't pick Pitt. He would've made the program better with his presence. Best wishes for him.

This is the danger. Of the explosion and expansion of these HS playoffs for money things. A kid, a 3 year starter at Central Catholic plays essentially 4 years worth of games than most other High School kids. Think about it, Adams likely played what, 14-15 games a year? Most HS kids play 9 or 10 games. Adams was definitely a 3 year starter. So he played at least 40 games in 3 years, maybe as many as 45 games. The average HS kid maybe plays 30.

We know one thing, and this might not be THE cause for Adams problems, but we know more repetitive activities that occur in football games contribute to all kinds of ailments, and yet we are looking on all three levels on how we should expand playoffs and championships so more money and interest is generated.

Reactions: pittdan77
This is the danger. Of the explosion and expansion of these HS playoffs for money things. A kid, a 3 year starter at Central Catholic plays essentially 4 years worth of games than most other High School kids. Think about it, Adams likely played what, 14-15 games a year? Most HS kids play 9 or 10 games. Adams was definitely a 3 year starter. So he played at least 40 games in 3 years, maybe as many as 45 games. The average HS kid maybe plays 30.

We know one thing, and this might not be THE cause for Adams problems, but we know more repetitive activities that occur in football games contribute to all kinds of ailments, and yet we are looking on all three levels on how we should expand playoffs and championships so more money and interest is generated.

you beat me to the punch, was going to post something similar. Ridiculous that the PIAA playoffs go on till the second or third week of December...all about the $$$ even in high school. I think the number of games for Adams would be closer to 45, not including the 2 summer "scrimmages" in late August. That's a lot of wear & tear on the body at the Quad A level.

I think also Adams peaked as a sophomore. Heard from some pretty good sources that he didn't really have the foot speed/lateral pursuit to compete at that level but the early rankings he built up as a sophomore kind of propelled him to get the Div 1 offers.

Football is a tough game and getting tougher. Bill Fralic would probably be considered too small by today's offensive lineman standards. That's scary.

you beat me to the punch, was going to post something similar. Ridiculous that the PIAA playoffs go on till the second or third week of December...all about the $$$ even in high school. I think the number of games for Adams would be closer to 45, not including the 2 summer "scrimmages" in late August. That's a lot of wear & tear on the body at the Quad A level.

I think also Adams peaked as a sophomore. Heard from some pretty good sources that he didn't really have the foot speed/lateral pursuit to compete at that level but the early rankings he built up as a sophomore kind of propelled him to get the Div 1 offers.

Football is a tough game and getting tougher. Bill Fralic would probably be considered too small by today's offensive lineman standards. That's scary.

Yeah, and what happens with Adams is what happens to alot of kids, they peak out at 15, 16 years and you know in today's gratification and immediate results, we slap these unrealistic stars on them before they physically develop and peak out, think about it, how many kids Senior seasons really affect their standings?? Then think about this, how would what a kid do as a Jr or Soph and during these camps in between this year, be more relevant in evaluating and ranking HS football players than their SR years? It is ludicrous.

And as far as Fralic is concerned, if you project out, he would have probably been a 6'7" 300lb prospect nowadays.

Funny that I have seen more Pitt fans than ND fans offering him well wishes on social media...

Yeah, and what happens with Adams is what happens to alot of kids, they peak out at 15, 16 years and you know in today's gratification and immediate results, we slap these unrealistic stars on them before they physically develop and peak out, think about it, how many kids Senior seasons really affect their standings?? Then think about this, how would what a kid do as a Jr or Soph and during these camps in between this year, be more relevant in evaluating and ranking HS football players than their SR years? It is ludicrous.

And as far as Fralic is concerned, if you project out, he would have probably been a 6'7" 300lb prospect nowadays.

hmmmm....

I am not saying your point isnt valid, I am sure it is. But certainly isnt happening in this instance.

The kid was a beast of a player... worked his butt off. He didnt 'peak out', he was injured, and had to quit. Happens to a ton of kids.

This definitely had to do with injuries but it was starting to become pretty well known that this kid's game wouldn't translate as well as everyone thought by the time he was 16. There were doubters before he was injured during his senior year. At least he's got a great degree to fall back on.

hmmmm....

I am not saying your point isnt valid, I am sure it is. But certainly isnt happening in this instance.

The kid was a beast of a player... worked his butt off. He didnt 'peak out', he was injured, and had to quit. Happens to a ton of kids.

He was sliding his Senior year.

I'm glad Adams still gets to keep his scholarship as he gets healthy as well as a maintain a role on the team. I wish him the best.

How much $$$ is made (profit) at hs playoff games?

There was just an article on this in the spring. http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...ball-playoffs-attendance/stories/201804190180

Revenue from the football playoffs (no including expenses and share to team) was $381,074 last year, down from the $888,652 revenue in 2007.

Reactions: sween73
If he wasn’t going pro, this worked out super well for him. Free ND education without the distraction of football from classes. And without battering his body further.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT