ADVERTISEMENT

Dear Boosters

So Paco you recommend NIL donations? Very serious question.
I can only tell you what I do.

I support both the Athletic Department and Alliance 412 with my financial resources. Just know that supporting Alliance 412 is not tax-deductible at this point.

Do I like NIL? No. But I like Pitt being competitive more than I dislike NIL. Absolutely.
NIL is the way of the world. There is no way to avoid it.

I will relate the following:...for an online Alliance 412-exclusive Q&A event with Pitt wrestling coach Keith Gavin a few months back, he was asked where fans' money should be directed. He said supporting both the athletic department and Alliance 412 were important, because the athletic department still needs resources like coaching salaries, travel budgets, and facilities, but if you had to prioritize one to support, it should go to Alliance 412. The reason is that even for "non-revenue"/"Olympic" sports like wrestling, NIL money now is expected to make up the gap in scholarship money when athletes are on partial scholarships, which is the case for most Olympic sports athletes. In his case, every D1-quality wrestler being recruited now expects 100% coverage of college expenses with the gap between the actual cost and whatever partial scholarship they are awarded being made up by NIL money. If you can't offer that in recruiting, then you are not going to be in the conversation for that recruit. It is now even more important than wresting clubs. So, yes, even a coach of an Olympic sport encourages fans to support Alliance 412.

Again. Talking to someone while tailgating today. Exact quote was “Pitt fans want major program results with mid major contributions. “. What got heather fired was spending major conference levels with little donor return

Reactions: UptownPrivileges

I support both the Athletic Department and Alliance 412 with my financial resources. Just know that supporting Alliance 412 is not tax-deductible at this point.

Do I like NIL? No. But I like Pitt being competitive more than I dislike NIL. Absolutely.

I will relate the following:...for an online Alliance 412-exclusive Q&A event with Pitt wrestling coach Keith Gavin a few months back, he was asked where fans' money should be directed. He said supporting both the athletic department and Alliance 412 were important, because the athletic department still needs resources like coaching salaries, travel budgets, and facilities, but if you had to prioritize one to support, it should go to Alliance 412. The reason is that even for "non-revenue"/"Olympic" sports like wrestling, NIL money now is expected to make up the gap in scholarship money when athletes are on partial scholarships, which is the case for most Olympic sports athletes. In his case, every D1-quality wrestler being recruited now expects 100% coverage of college expenses with the gap between the actual cost and whatever partial scholarship they are awarded being made up by NIL money. If you can't offer that in recruiting, then you are not going to be in the conversation for that recruit. It is now even more important than wresting clubs. So, yes, even a coach of an Olympic sport encourages fans to support Alliance 412.

So,

If I understand your comments correctly, if i designate some cash to say, wrestling through 412, my donation will go towards the wrestlers scholarship costs, and not a cash payment to the kid to do as he pleases.

That is something I would do immediately. I did not know this.

Perhaps someone at Pitt can spell this out for imbeciles like myself that have always had the impression its straight pay for play.

Would go a long way towards helping Pitt

Thank you

I ended up splitting a donation last year. But I feel like alliance might be best optio. Tax deduction really means very little anymore.

Reactions: pitt-girl
So,

If I understand your comments correctly, if i designate some cash to say, wrestling through 412, my donation will go towards the wrestlers scholarship costs, and not a cash payment to the kid to do as he pleases.

That is something I would do immediately. I did not know this.

Perhaps someone at Pitt can spell this out for imbeciles like myself that have always had the impression its straight pay for play.

Would go a long way towards helping Pitt

Thank you
Alliance 412 at one point let you direct where support when if you gave over a certain amount. You should reach out to them and ask if you can direct your gift to a certain sport, etc.

Give your money to football players. It’s only the right thing to do.
Just like the glory days of the Golden Panthers. I guess it's all good as long as it was someone else's money when reveling in the glory days of Jackie Sherrill. Otherwise, just keep bitching about how Pitt can't compete and see how that helps, or there are some FCS programs that certainly would appreciate the support of those pining for the days of Code Bowman.

Thanks as always for your comments Paco. I asked Coach Gavin the same question months ago and I included the Wrestling Club. At one point getting training partners was most important. He gave me the same answer you got, making up the difference in scholarships. Understand that beginning in the fall, 2025, NIL donations can go to Pitt where it will be tax-deductible. It would be important to know how much in NIL each sport needs. We hear about football being in the $2.5 - $3 million range. As an aside, did you know that the ACC average for football is about $3 million except for FSU which is at $12 million?! I'll bet they won't get that next year.

Just like the glory days of the Golden Panthers. I guess it's all good as long as it was someone else's money when reveling in the glory days of Jackie Sherrill. Otherwise, just keep bitching about how Pitt can't compete and see how that helps, or there are some FCS programs that certainly would appreciate the support of those pining for the days of Code Bowman.

yep, there is a regular poster who I won't name who proudly states he will never give to NIL, then also comes around to gloat after a Pitt loss to complain that Pitt is a mediocre program and Narduzzi will always have bone headed losses (I think he is actually more happy after a loss so he can be proven "Right").

I hate NIL and would rather donate directly to Athletics, but this is the hand we have been dealt so I switched mine over to A412 (I figure my seat license donation goes to Athletics so there's that at least)

yep, there is a regular poster who I won't name who proudly states he will never give to NIL, then also comes around to gloat after a Pitt loss to complain that Pitt is a mediocre program and Narduzzi will always have bone headed losses (I think he is actually more happy after a loss so he can be proven "Right").

I hate NIL and would rather donate directly to Athletics, but this is the hand we have been dealt so I switched mine over to A412 (I figure my seat license donation goes to Athletics so there's that at least)
That's exactly what I did Slick. H2P

I never complain about that. If Pitt football disappeared tomorrow I would find something else to think about. Sure, I might be disappointed, but not for very long.🙂

Then you shouldn't be surprised when people that do care about Pitt tell you to sit down and STFU.
Well sure, you do have the right to be rude and insulting. However, choosing to use and flaunt that right demonstrates an interesting set of values.

But as I said, give money to football players. It must be the right thing to do.

Genius,

Before you look any more foolish, do yourself a favor and scroll up till you find yet another of my diamond studded posts.

Asked and answered.......

Well sure, you do have the right to be rude and insulting. However, choosing to use and flaunt that right demonstrates an interesting set of values.

But as I said, give money to football players. It must be the right thing to do.
Yeah, so does mocking the mechanism that is required for success and belittling the effort of those working for the success of the thing you claim that you never said you didn't care about.

SIT DOWN AND STFU!

And on ignore, where such individuals with meaningless opinions belong.

Last edited:
Where did I say I don’t care about Pitt football?

Thoughtful consideration is much more valuable than hasty emotions.

Well, I made the inference since you said you would quickly find something else to think about, would be disappointed but not very long if Pitt football was gone. Doesn't sound like someone who is deeply engaged to me.

Genius,

Before you look any more foolish, do yourself a favor and scroll up till you find yet another of my diamond studded posts.

Asked and answered.......

Yes, you are willing to fund scholarships for Olympic sports through A412 rather than direct payouts to players. That will really help Pitt's chances at getting into the football playoffs. But you will get to continue whining about the mediocrity of Pitt football so it is a win-win for you I guess.

I do like wrestling so at least your support would be appreciated there. I believe there is a forum here where you might enjoy posting more about wrestling if that interests you.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThePanthers
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT