ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on the Game

Some of the reactions on here are typical of some you negative, pessimistic, sad sacks.

If Pitt loses or wins in a squeaker, the world is coming to an end!

Same old Pitt!
Another 3-9 season!
Fire Narduzzi!
Kade Bell sucks!

But since Pitt wins by 31 points….

Well, you can’t take much out of this game….
Well, you can’t get too excited….

LOL!

Yes we know that we have to show it against better competition like I said more than once.

However…STFU and let us enjoy the victory and be optimistic!

SHEESH!!

Last edited:
Kent State will be the worst team we play this season.

Yeah, worse than Youngstown State.
I’m curious as to why you think YSU will be better than Kent State? I’m not saying your wrong, but YSU lost their entire defense from last year. I think Kent State wins a few conference games and would beat most Missouri Valley teams.

Last edited:
Reactions: OKJones
Some of the reactions on here are typical of some you negative, pessimistic, sad sacks.

If Pitt loses or wins in a squeaker, the world is coming to an end!

Same old Pitt!
Another 3-9 season!
Fire Narduzzi!
Kade Bell sucks!

But since Pitt wins by 21 points….

Well, you can’t take much out of this game….
Well, you can’t get too excited….

LOL!

Yes we know that we have to show it against better competition like I said more than once.

However…STFU and let us enjoy the victory and be optimistic!

SHEESH!!
They are the same ole sad sacks even when we win by 31...like today! ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: pittmeister
No we didn’t yet. Let’s see how he is against our actual competition we have coming up. He was very good today but Kent state sucked on D.
He did what you hoped he would do. Why is it so hard for some of you to acknowlege this? Its funny how when Pitts does it, its thr competition. Another big time teams does it, and its like oh they just destroyed this team.

Its clear that most on these boards only likes it when Pitt loses. And you posters can come on an lambaste me all you want, but its not hard to figure out.

There are people actually upset the Nard didnt play Yarnell more. I mean are you kidding me. Why after a game by a freshman, who has not played in a game since high school and did what he did, would the narrative be, Nards a liar and screwed Nate?

Just unbelievably stupid.

I’m curious as to why you think YSU will be better than Kent State? I’m not saying your wrong, but YSU lost their entire defense from last year. I think Kent State wins a few conference games and would beat most Missouri Valley teams.

Youngstown State is ranked in the preseason FCS poll. If they were an FCS team, I'm pretty sure Kent would not be.

But hey, it's not a hill I'm willing to die on. If we want to say that Kent is probably going to be a little bit better than YSU, yeah, OK, that's certainly possible.

As to Kent winning a few conference games, I mean again, possible? Sure. After all, they do get to play Akron. But everyone that I saw that did a ranking of all the FBS teams had Kent somewhere in the 130s. And there are only 134 FBS teams. Maybe they surprise everyone, but pretty much every prognosticator out there thinks they are at the bottom of the FBS barrel.

FTR Kent St was outscored 137-22 in its non conference games last year against 3 teams (UCF, Arkansas, Fresno St) that weren’t all that good. They were quite probably the worst team in the entire FBS. I know hope springs eternal but there’s very little reason for them to be any more optimistic about this year.

That being said they were the perfect opener for a team with a QB making his first start and trying to integrate a new offensive system. Had they played a mediocre type MAC team the outcome could’ve been quite a bit different. Hopefully they can clean up some of the mistakes and improve against a Cincinnati team in what looks like a winnable game.
Fresno went 9-4. UCF made a bowl and beat #15 OkSt 45-3 later in the year. Arkansas was 4-8, but in the sec lost like 6 games under a touchdown. Lost 24-21 to Bama…

Not sure how you can say the Oline was bad when the running game had some huge holes and the QB got to pick them apart. Not saying it was perfect…just not bad either.
Gave up four sacks to Kent State, so pass protection needs to be better. Run blocking did exactly what you hoped in a game like this.

We learned…

Reid translates to any level.

Eli made great decisions with the ball. In command from the start. Good touch, but maybe relied on it a little too much. Will have to drive the ball in there more against better athletes.
Great decisions? I would say he was accurate and showed a strong arm. I would say he made some mistakes you would expect from a frosh making his first start. The pick and should've been picks didn't hurt us.

I'd expect he'll throw a few more "rookie" ints, but they'll be less and less throughout the year.

Yeah, you are right. We should all limit our comments on games to "win, good" or "lose, bad" and not try to think any more in depth about it than that.

I didn't realize posting the same comment about Kent in multiple threads was deep thinking.

I think everyone gets that both Kent and YSU stink, and should be beaten soundly.

based on the game I’m a bit more concerned about the OL than I am about the D. They gave up four sacks and Taylor at times was a turnstile. They’ll need to be a lot better for this offense to be productive against better defenses

Yeah the D gave up a few big plays. But for the most part they shut down Kent based on the running and passing yards allowed

Based on this game I think the team will be bettter than most expected. How much better remains to be seen. The next three weeks will reveal just how good they are

Good News is the offense clearly is more entertaining to watch

I didn't realize posting the same comment about Kent in multiple threads was deep thinking.

I think everyone gets that both Kent and YSU stink, and should be beaten soundly.

And yet for some reason it seems to bother you that people don't think that beating Kent was some sort of great feat.

*Holstein and Reid proved me wrong. I had my doubts whether they could step up, and be the players we were hoping for. Both were sensational. However, Holstein needs to be careful with the ball. He threw one interception and nearly had to more picked off.

*The offense will be fun to watch. It had balance and big play capabilities. It was so nice to feel confident when the ball is in the air that it will thrown accurately. Unfortunately the way the defense played at times, they’re going to need to score a lot of points this year. Speaking of defense….

*The defense looked a lot like last year’s version. There were many missed tackles, no pass rush in the first half and prone to give up the big plays in the secondary. The run defense looked spotty at times.

*Special teams looked improved, except the punting game. It was the same. Hopefully they won’t need to use the punter as much as last year.

* As everyone knows QB is everything in football. Pitt is in great shape with Holstein and Yarnell. Both can win for Pitt. Pitt may be better than anticipated by a lot of the pundits.

*As for coaching, Kade Bell is as good as advertised. The offense moved much better than I anticipated for the first game. Can they do that against better competition? We’ll see.

Overall, it was a good first game, but needs more work on the defense. Better competition is coming so they need to step up.

Reid was banged up twice vs. Kent St. I dont like his chances to make it through many games. Hope he can still healthy!

I need to see another game, even Jurkovec looked good against Furman last year, then came game 2.

Agree on the missed tackles, hate the shoulder, no wrap up tackle. I think the defense is worse than last year in that there is alot less pass game pressure from the front 4. Linebackers look better than last year, but we need some more push or it will be a long year. We have no top notch corners that will stay on the better receivers all game.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
We have no top notch corners that will stay on the better receivers all game.
I thought the corners were ok overall, and Gandy looked good.

However, the safety play wasn't what was expected by the supposed strongest grouping on D. O'Brien had a rough day, while McMillon and Macintyre missed too many tackles.

Last edited:
Youngstown State is ranked in the preseason FCS poll. If they were an FCS team, I'm pretty sure Kent would not be.

But hey, it's not a hill I'm willing to die on. If we want to say that Kent is probably going to be a little bit better than YSU, yeah, OK, that's certainly possible.

As to Kent winning a few conference games, I mean again, possible? Sure. After all, they do get to play Akron. But everyone that I saw that did a ranking of all the FBS teams had Kent somewhere in the 130s. And there are only 134 FBS teams. Maybe they surprise everyone, but pretty much every prognosticator out there thinks they are at the bottom of the FBS barrel.
College football changes year to year, for the non regulars. Just because some person make picks about teams doesnt mean anything.

You cant read some prediction and then start trying to make a truth as to what a team will do in a season. If it isnt one of the big dogs, you have to wait and see. No prognosticator have a clue what a team is going to do. Thats why its called a prediction. The guesstimate on a team, throw it out there for people to read. People read it, then think that will be the results. They know, no more than you or I know.

College football changes year to year, for the non regulars. Just because some person make picks about teams doesnt mean anything.

You cant read some prediction and then start trying to make a truth as to what a team will do in a season. If it isnt one of the big dogs, you have to wait and see. No prognosticator have a clue what a team is going to do. Thats why its called a prediction. The guesstimate on a team, throw it out there for people to read. People read it, then think that will be the results. They know, no more than you or I know.

Yeah, Kent State could win the national championship for all we know.

Reactions: cashisking884
A comment from me that isn't directly game-related, but just an observation. Nothing really makes me feel older than walking thru that Great Hall. Can it really be true that Curtis Martin finished up 30 years ago? Sheesh.

Reactions: Parkview57

you can’t actually believe this, right?

F+’s analytic model predicted Kent State would finish 132 out of 134 this year.

Last year they finished 133.

2022 they were 102.

2021 they were 111.

2020 they were 79.

2019 they were 107

2018 they were 122

So it took the weirdness of the COVID season while being led by what many would consider a premier offensive mind, for them to break 100 in the analytic rankings.

If you want to take a bet on how their season will play out this year, you banking on the apparent blank slate that is the college football season each year, and me banking on what the computer is projecting, I’d be happy to take that bet.

Last edited:
My thoughts after watching the recorded version. Obviously, as everyone has stated this was Kent St, so we will learn more in the weeks to come.

Defense was not as bad as many have felt. We gave up 24 total points. One td on a muffed punt. So defense gave up 17. Honestly should not have even given that up. The first drive was aided by a facemask penalty and then we basically stopped them in nowhere land with 4th and long. Unfortunately we had a safety take a bad angle or make a bad decision to undercut the route and gave up a td. Sucky play on his part but hopefully a learning tool to move forward. Other than that the defense gave up 10 points the rest of the game and most every other series was either 3 and out or short drives that stalled. They need to improve, but that should be expected as guys get more experience and watch more actual game film. The Dline will need to get more penetration and create more pressure and negative plays. Maybe the DT’s get stronger as we get a couple players back to healthy.

Offense looked good from a scheme point. Curious as to how much of the playbook was open for this game? Will we see something different added in against future opponents. But overall it looks like we have a very solid qb. He’ll need to be a bit more careful with the ball, but he still looked good. Also looks like we have enough playmakers with Reid and the WR’s with this scheme. Hoping we can see a second rb step up strong. My biggest concern like on defense, will be the line. Narduzzi said they weren’t expecting as many twists and stunts as Kent St ran. While that could be true the line definitely needs to come together as a more cohesive unit. Will need to reserve some judgement here until we see them against better teams.

Overall, regardless of opponent, I am more optimistic today than I was coming into the season. At least it looks like we have an offense that may be able to win a shoot-out if necessary.

I’ll happily take this win and go into the Cincy game expecting a win.

you can’t actually believe this, right?

F+’s analytic model predicted Kent State would finish 132 out of 134 this year.

Last year they finished 133.

2022 they were 102.

2021 they were 111.

2020 they were 79.

2019 they were 107

2018 they were 122

So it took the weirdness of the COVID season while being led by what many would consider a premier offensive mind, for them to break 100 in the analytic rankings.

If you want to take a bet on how their season will play out this year, you banking on the apparent blank slate that is the college football season each year, and me banking on what the computer is projecting, I’d be happy to take that bet.
Yes I believe it. What makes you think that some one's prediction is gospel? Its a prediction, its 50/50. How hard is it to make a statement about a team that everyone know is bad?

I mean you seriously losing your mine because someone doesnt think a prediction from some indivdual matter? Again, college football changes year to year.

I wonder what those same prognosticators predicted for FSU?

All you need is a pair of functioning eyes and one lobe of a brain to see that Kent is a horrible football team, as they have been for a long time, and as they are once again predicted to be.

Reid was banged up twice vs. Kent St. I dont like his chances to make it through many games. Hope he can still healthy!

I need to see another game, even Jurkovec looked good against Furman last year, then came game 2.

Agree on the missed tackles, hate the shoulder, no wrap up tackle. I think the defense is worse than last year in that there is alot less pass game pressure from the front 4. Linebackers look better than last year, but we need some more push or it will be a long year. We have no top notch corners that will stay on the better receivers all game.
Furman, Wofford......

2cbb809787991f44c2d9e1894452572164473466.gifv

My thoughts after watching the recorded version. Obviously, as everyone has stated this was Kent St, so we will learn more in the weeks to come.

Defense was not as bad as many have felt. We gave up 24 total points. One td on a muffed punt. So defense gave up 17. Honestly should not have even given that up. The first drive was aided by a facemask penalty and then we basically stopped them in nowhere land with 4th and long. Unfortunately we had a safety take a bad angle or make a bad decision to undercut the route and gave up a td. Sucky play on his part but hopefully a learning tool to move forward. Other than that the defense gave up 10 points the rest of the game and most every other series was either 3 and out or short drives that stalled. They need to improve, but that should be expected as guys get more experience and watch more actual game film. The Dline will need to get more penetration and create more pressure and negative plays. Maybe the DT’s get stronger as we get a couple players back to healthy.

Offense looked good from a scheme point. Curious as to how much of the playbook was open for this game? Will we see something different added in against future opponents. But overall it looks like we have a very solid qb. He’ll need to be a bit more careful with the ball, but he still looked good. Also looks like we have enough playmakers with Reid and the WR’s with this scheme. Hoping we can see a second rb step up strong. My biggest concern like on defense, will be the line. Narduzzi said they weren’t expecting as many twists and stunts as Kent St ran. While that could be true the line definitely needs to come together as a more cohesive unit. Will need to reserve some judgement here until we see them against better teams.

Overall, regardless of opponent, I am more optimistic today than I was coming into the season. At least it looks like we have an offense that may be able to win a shoot-out if necessary.

I’ll happily take this win and go into the Cincy game expecting a win.
Didn't you hear that Kent St could be worse than YSU, and the F+ computer ranked them 132? Take all that back; there's no room for any positive analysis. Otherwise, you'll be accused of saying Kent St is good and they'll be playing for the national championship.

Yes I believe it. What makes you think that some one's prediction is gospel? Its a prediction, its 50/50. How hard is it to make a statement about a team that everyone know is bad?

I mean you seriously losing your mine because someone doesnt think a prediction from some indivdual matter? Again, college football changes year to year.

I wonder what those same prognosticators predicted for FSU?

I don’t think anybody’s word is the gospel. I’m not even sure what individual you are talking about?

But predictions aren’t 50/50.
Tomorrow you will either be alive or dead. But it’s not a 50-50 chance that you are dead, just because those are the only two possible outcomes.

College football is not some blank slate crapshoot from year to year.
You can safely say which teams are going to be good, which teams bad, and be mostly right.

Chris allowing continuous negative non-Pitt fans like Cash and Bad, amongst others, to post on this board is why I'll never contribute a nickel to his platform. This would not be allowed on 95% of other team sites.

Chris allowing continuous negative non-Pitt fans like Cash and Bad, amongst others, to post on this board is why I'll never contribute a nickel to his platform. This would not be allowed on 95% of other team sites.
A nickel would be a more valuable contribution to this board than your usual slappery.

I also posted an analytic breakdown showing Pitt had one of the most dominate performances of Saturday out of any team in the country.

But when all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT