ADVERTISEMENT

Depth Chart for Kent St.

Gunga_Galunga

Heisman Winner
Jan 12, 2017
In here on page three - I'm not going through the trouble of posting the graphic.

I really hate the ORs, especially when it's almost every position and half the team is potentially starting at DT. Not a ton of surprises other than Cooper starting at center and Poppi Williams at WR.

Reactions: VincePITT
Paper bag type of season
Hoping for some upside surprise, but this whole roster is question marks. That’s essentially what it was last year, with I suppose some glimmer of hope that Phil would find his mojo under FCJ again.

They really need to get back to where there are some legit NFL types that you can point to on the roster. They had a good run with Boyd, Conner, AD, Pickett, Addison, Kancey, and Izzy where you knew they had a good shot to play Sundays. Maybe that won’t win the ACC, but a couple of those guys each season will win more games that they lose. I don’t know if there is anyone like that on either side of that 2 deep. I think Brewu and Jimmy Scott give me some hope. Not sure about offense at all.

OR at QB is a surprise. Yarnell must be a terrible practice player. Couldn't even sniff the field over Phil and the Canadien. Before that, had to win a QB Battle against an investment banker from Dartmouth. Now, he may get beat out by Holstein. FWIW, Holstein is rated higher on EA College Football. Also, Javon McIntyre is the highest rated Pitt player at 86 and he's in an OR also.

Reactions: Snyder412
We can't even put out a legitimate depth chart for fear of tipping our hand against Kent State?

What a joke of a program this has become.

"OR". It's ridiculous

Reactions: PittPharm2002
Hoping for some upside surprise, but this whole roster is question marks. That’s essentially what it was last year, with I suppose some glimmer of hope that Phil would find his mojo under FCJ again.

They really need to get back to where there are some legit NFL types that you can point to on the roster. They had a good run with Boyd, Conner, AD, Pickett, Addison, Kancey, and Izzy where you knew they had a good shot to play Sundays. Maybe that won’t win the ACC, but a couple of those guys each season will win more games that they lose. I don’t know if there is anyone like that on either side of that 2 deep. I think Brewu and Jimmy Scott give me some hope. Not sure about offense at all.

I actually think this year is the bottoming out season more so than last year. If we had a serviceable QB we'd have probably gone like 7-5 and not thought much of it last season.

I expect to finish with a better record of course; just not sure that this roster is more complete than last year's (which, to be fair, wasn't good... it was just sort of average).

OR at QB is a surprise. Yarnell must be a terrible practice player. Couldn't even sniff the field over Phil and the Canadien. Before that, had to win a QB Battle against an investment banker from Dartmouth. Now, he may get beat out by Holstein. FWIW, Holstein is rated higher on EA College Football. Also, Javon McIntyre is the highest rated Pitt player at 86 and he's in an OR also.

Seems like Holstein might be getting "we promised this transfer" treatment. He looked awful in the Spring Game. Yarnell didn't look too great either, but he looked better than Holstein. I know Holstein was injured, but there is also the whole 5th string, possible candidate to convert to an H-back role thing at Alabama.

I would like to see Yarnell start. I'm also not opposed to bring Holstein in for a few series as a change of pace (more of a runner), or if the offense is struggling.

I don't know how much they expect the QB to run in this offense, but Holstein would likely be the QB you want running. Maybe that's playing into it.

Hail to the Chief! Couldn't earn a job on a DE-poor roster. Guess now we know why he's on his third school in 4 years, and will most likely be looking at a 4th.

So much for the notion that losing both of our starting D ends was no big deal because we had stud transfers to take their places.

Replacing career 99 tackles, 28.5 TFLs, and 17 sacks with 33 tackles, 16.5 TFLs, and 9.5 sacks.

Hail to the Chief! Couldn't earn a job on a DE-poor roster. Guess now we know why he's on his third school in 4 years, and will most likely be looking at a 4th.

So much for the notion that losing both of our starting D ends was no big deal because we had stud transfers to take their places.

Replacing career 99 tackles, 28.5 TFLs, and 17 sacks with 33 tackles, 16.5 TFLs, and 9.5 sacks.

And, just like some said a few months ago...

Pitt doesn't land a 4* from Clemson who has only been there for one season unless Clemson is perfectly content letting it happen.

No trying to cast vitriol or start a bickering match, but this notion that we went into Death Valley with a blank check to replace what we lost... well, we didn't do that.

And, just like some said a few months ago...

Pitt doesn't land a 4* from Clemson who has only been there for one season unless Clemson is perfectly content letting it happen.

No trying to cast vitriol or start a bickering match, but this notion that we went into Death Valley with a blank check to replace what we lost... well, we didn't do that.
More like went in there with a Primanti Bros gift card and 2 tickets to a Stillers preseason game.

We can't even put out a legitimate depth chart for fear of tipping our hand against Kent State?

What a joke of a program this has become.

"OR". It's ridiculous
I don't like the ORs either, but I don't think it's worrying about Kent St. I just listened to his press conference and it seems to be something he's using to motivate guys and keep them pushing hard during practice. The roster and positions are pretty open and a lot of guys are going to play.

He also said:
- Both QBs will play Saturday
- Fitz is banged up, should have been an OR
- Game play will clear up the depth chart

Another observation is he seems to have gone all in on the new offense. Took a while, but he seems fully supportive of Bell and the new style.

I would like to see Yarnell start. I'm also not opposed to bring Holstein in for a few series as a change of pace (more of a runner), or if the offense is struggling.

I don't know how much they expect the QB to run in this offense, but Holstein would likely be the QB you want running. Maybe that's playing into it.
From the spring, Holstein threw a prettier ball and was more mobile, but I thought Yarnell was more accurate. I’m hoping they can control Kent State enough that both QBs play and we get a better look at them. Tempting to play Holstein since he seems like higher upside, but fans tend to discount the down side of high risk / reward types. If I’m Narduzzi, I think a 3 win team needs to have a rebound season, even if that is just getting back to 7-5, 6-6. Another 3 win campaign and anyone with upside ain’t sticking around anyway.

I don't like the ORs either, but I don't think it's worrying about Kent St. I just listened to his press conference and it seems to be something he's using to motivate guys and keep them pushing hard during practice. The roster and positions are pretty open and a lot of guys are going to play.

He also said:
- Both QBs will play Saturday
- Fitz is banged up, should have been an OR
- Game play will clear up the depth chart

Another observation is he seems to have gone all in on the new offense. Took a while, but he seems fully supportive of Bell and the new style.

I'm overly negative on him right now so I'm not being reasonable altogether.

But literally no other coaching staff does this. So is he being clever or just over thinking this.

JM is arguably our best player and having him an OR starter is ludicrous

I actually think this year is the bottoming out season more so than last year. If we had a serviceable QB we'd have probably gone like 7-5 and not thought much of it last season.

I expect to finish with a better record of course; just not sure that this roster is more complete than last year's (which, to be fair, wasn't good... it was just sort of average).

Last year's roster was absolutely better but playing D3 dudes at QB did us in. Our schedule is pretty weak this year so 6-6 or 7-5 wont be impossible but 5-7 or 4-8 seem more likely.

Well I suspect there will be some complaining after game 1. We have a boatload of MAC level talent on our team. I don't understand why anyone would expect us to go out and dominate. I haven't looked at the spread, but, if Kent is getting more than 7 I would drop some cash on Kent. We have a select few players on offense and defense that should be better than what Kent has and they will have to make the difference. However, as any Pitt fan knows, our chances of playing a clean game are never good. Pitt 28 Kent 24

Well I suspect there will be some complaining after game 1. We have a boatload of MAC level talent on our team. I don't understand why anyone would expect us to go out and dominate. I haven't looked at the spread, but, if Kent is getting more than 7 I would drop some cash on Kent. We have a select few players on offense and defense that should be better than what Kent has and they will have to make the difference. However, as any Pitt fan knows, our chances of playing a clean game are never good. Pitt 28 Kent 24
Pitt -24 on DraftKings. There’s your chance to make some cash.

Reactions: FireballZ
I see the team as 2017-esque:

- Light on bona fide upperclassmen talent

- More stop gaps than what is preferable

- Some potential young talent if you can keep them in the program

But heck, even that team had a chance to win six games (UNC/VT), so it doesn't take much to get to a bowl when you're starting off with two freebies and playing in the ACC.

Yeah, but it's high end MAC level talent. Like we'd have a chance to win that conference. So, beating Kent St should be no problem.

Seems like Holstein might be getting "we promised this transfer" treatment. He looked awful in the Spring Game. Yarnell didn't look too great either, but he looked better than Holstein. I know Holstein was injured, but there is also the whole 5th string, possible candidate to convert to an H-back role thing at Alabama.
He was hurt in the spring moron

Last edited:

Kent is pretty universally thought to be one of the two or three or four worst teams this year. Not in the MAC. In the FBS. They are almost certainly the worst team we will play all season long. Yeah, even worse than Youngstown State.

Last year before the season started I said that if we couldn't beat both Cincinnati and the Hoopies we were in for a long season, because neither of those teams were any good. We couldn't beat them, and it turns out that we sucked. This year, if we only beat Kent by four points we are in for a long season. Because they are simply god-awful.

Kent is pretty universally thought to be one of the two or three or four worst teams this year. Not in the MAC. In the FBS. They are almost certainly the worst team we will play all season long. Yeah, even worse than Youngstown State.

Last year before the season started I said that if we couldn't beat both Cincinnati and the Hoopies we were in for a long season, because neither of those teams were any good. We couldn't beat them, and it turns out that we sucked. This year, if we only beat Kent by four points we are in for a long season. Because they are simply god-awful.
I guess we will see. I don't think we have the talent or the ability to play clean enough to blow anyone out. I am not a fan of our O-line. When you can't push teams off the ball, it's hard to dominate. Kent may blow, but I don't see us coming close to covering. We will find out Saturday. Hope I'm wrong, but we rarely come out of the gate hot.

This is essentially a preseason game for Pitt and it seems many coaches really don't care about these depth charts they have to release.

In

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT