ADVERTISEMENT

Dion and Saquon

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
The Giants signed Dion Lewis. Can he beat out Saquon? BTW, just a reminder I said Saquon was one of the best college RBs I've ever seen and would be one of the best NFL RB's ever. Freakish combo of speed, quickness, and strength.

George Aston is also on the Giants.

I am shocked to hear that he signed with the Giants when it was reported he was likely to join Brady with the Bucs. I wonder how that fell through. It seems like the Bucs would have been the better opportunity for him.

I like that George Aston signed there. If he stays on there he’ll become an instant NY legend.

Hell no he can’t beat out Barkley. The Giants have sucked, but Barkley has definitely lived up to the hype. With Gurley quickly on the downside and Bell no where near what he was in his last season with the Steelers, Barkley is by far the premier three-down, multi-dimensional back in the NFL. Lewis is merely there as a back up in case Saquon misses any time. I’m no Penn State fan, but he is a star in the NFL.

Reactions: KAZZ83
What I find odd is that Hynoski wins a SB with NY and pretty much gone from the league soon after. What position is Aston playing?
Lewis is a veteran with quickness and solid change of pace with good hands. He’s a cheap addition to help relieve Barkley.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jeffburgh
What I find odd is that Hynoski wins a SB with NY and pretty much gone from the league soon after. What position is Aston playing?
Lewis is a veteran with quickness and solid change of pace with good hands. He’s a cheap addition to help relieve Barkley.

Those Aston/Hynoski types who dont really have NFL positions should go try out for a pro Rugby league in Europe or Australia. Hard to believe those kind of guys cant make any money playing a pro sport

Reactions: kma0043
The fullback position in the modern game is nearly dead. Nobody wants to waste roster and cap money on a guy that plays maybe 4 short yardage snaps a game. Hyno was one of the last true NFL FBs. If this was 1988, Aston would be on somebody’s starting roster. He always reminded me of Mike Alstott.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
The fullback position in the modern game is nearly dead. Nobody wants to waste roster and cap money on a guy that plays maybe 4 short yardage snaps a game. Hyno was one of the last true NFL FBs. If this was 1988, Aston would be on somebody’s starting roster. He always reminded me of Mike Alstott.

I don't disagree, but man if we had a guy like that to get it done for even 4 short yardage snaps all of last SEASON it would have been huge difference.

On your point about using cap space on a fullback, that made me raise an eyebrow at the Steelers recent signing of Derek Watt and subsequent release of Nix. Watt's cap hit will be $2,083,333 this year (and $3,833,333 next). Nix would have been $1,887,500. Plus cutting Nix pulled forward $875,000 in dead money. I guess they view Watt's value on special teams as worth those costs. Or maybe that is part of the plan to incent TJ to sign a long term extension? Like hiring the AAU coach or dad of the 5 star prospect I guess.

Those Aston/Hynoski types who dont really have NFL positions should go try out for a pro Rugby league in Europe or Australia. Hard to believe those kind of guys cant make any money playing a pro sport
Agree 100%, with would have been solid players with exceptional fan appeal.

Agree 100%, with would have been solid players with exceptional fan appeal.

Australian Rules Football has a combine in California every year for NCAA Basketball seniors, like 6'8 or taller who don't have much of a pro basketball future. Apparently, there is a former OKST hooper who has turned into a star down there. I don't know anything about Australian Rules Football but physical freaks like Aston and Hyno would be Rugby STARS IMO

Geez I don’t know, all Steeler RBs were much more productive behind Rosie Nix. No Rosie, brick wall.

On your point about using cap space on a fullback, that made me raise an eyebrow at the Steelers recent signing of Derek Watt and subsequent release of Nix. Watt's cap hit will be $2,083,333 this year (and $3,833,333 next). Nix would have been $1,887,500. Plus cutting Nix pulled forward $875,000 in dead money. I guess they view Watt's value on special teams as worth those costs. Or maybe that is part of the plan to incent TJ to sign a long term extension? Like hiring the AAU coach or dad of the 5 star prospect I guess.

Special teams replacement for Matakevich.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
If a FB can tackle in the modern game he has a good chance to stick. If he can tackle and catch a flair pass, he's great chance to stick.

The Giants signed Dion Lewis. Can he beat out Saquon? BTW, just a reminder I said Saquon was one of the best college RBs I've ever seen and would be one of the best NFL RB's ever. Freakish combo of speed, quickness, and strength.

I said Saquon was one of the best college RBs I've ever seen..wow, no one else had a similar appraisal...hahaha.

He'll run for 6 or 7 years and be used up and tossed to the side as that is the way of the NFL running back world today..

No chance whatsoever he ends up an all time great.

No chance whatsoever he ends up an all time great.

Agreed. The game done changed. Adrian Peterson barely has the numbers for top 5 all time and he's an order of magnitude better than Saquan. He rushed for more yards than Saquan's career best like 5 or 6 times, including a 2,000 yard season. Barkley needs 10 more 1,000 yard seasons to crack the top 10. I just don't see it happening.

No disrespect to Saquan, he's an excellent player. But we've seen this play several times before. Remember 3 years ago when Gurley and David Johnson were the next big thing? Neither played out those contracts. Or how about 5 years ago with Bell? He's on the bubble of getting cut by the Jets.

Reactions: Ski11585
Agreed. The game done changed. Adrian Peterson barely has the numbers for top 5 all time and he's an order of magnitude better than Saquan. He rushed for more yards than Saquan's career best like 5 or 6 times, including a 2,000 yard season. Barkley needs 10 more 1,000 yard seasons to crack the top 10. I just don't see it happening.

No disrespect to Saquan, he's an excellent player. But we've seen this play several times before. Remember 3 years ago when Gurley and David Johnson were the next big thing? Neither played out those contracts. Or how about 5 years ago with Bell? He's on the bubble of getting cut by the Jets.

Yeah. I wasn’t knocking him. Just pointing out an incorrect @Sean Miller Fan prediction. He’s good, but he’s not an all time great.

I may not be an all-time great yet but at least you recognize I'm "good" at this.
Anyone who raises the question of whether or not Dion Lewis can “beat out” Barkley for the Giants starting RB gig should have their eyes and head checked, not claiming to be good at predicting things or judging talent.

Australian Rules Football has a combine in California every year for NCAA Basketball seniors, like 6'8 or taller who don't have much of a pro basketball future. Apparently, there is a former OKST hooper who has turned into a star down there. I don't know anything about Australian Rules Football but physical freaks like Aston and Hyno would be Rugby STARS IMO
Mason Cox is a good player but I don't think I'd classify him as a star

but then he was a walk on for Ok. St. who only ever played 57 mins for them

you would think one of the best RB's ever would at least finish in the top 10 rushing in his second year.

you would think one of the best RB's ever would at least finish in the top 10 rushing in his second year.

People compare him to Barry Sanders but his rushing numbers haven't ever been close in college or pros.

If the Lions forced the ball to Barry Sanders in the passing game like the Giants do with SB I dont think Barry would have ever had less than 3000 total yards.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT