ADVERTISEMENT

Diontae Johnson Quitting on Play

If you are on the field, you are part of the play. It was inexcusable what he did on that play from not even trying to block, seeing the ball pop out and just walking like nothing happened.

Blocking as a WR is like running out a ground ball in baseball, you have to put in the effort because you never know when the play will bounce at you. He is a fifth year pro, he should understand that by now. Most HS WRs understand it.

I cannot recall him having a more horrendous play. He drops passes, a lot of them, but this was inexplicable really.

What is misleading? He didn’t do anything from the very beginning of the play.
I watched the play live, he was merely a decoy and not part of the play. There were a few players who stopped because they thought Warren was down and the play over.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
^ It looks far different with a full screen version of the play vs just signaling out Johnson.
Correct! It is even more damning as he never even attempted to follow the recovery after he became aware of it. He made no attempt whatsoever to act as a decoy.
He did succeed at being a disinterested observer from the snap, throughout and to the end of the play.

Correct! It is even more damning as he never even attempted to follow the recovery after he became aware of it. He made no attempt whatsoever to act as a decoy.
He did succeed at being a disinterested observer from the snap, throughout and to the end of the play.
You do realize the Bengal player covering him was standing still too, the only difference is since he was facing the line of scrimmage he saw the ball rolling towards him, where as Johnson was facing downfield and didn’t see the ball.

Honestly the defensive player just standing there and not trying to get involved in the play/tackle should be viewed more harshly, again he just happened to be in the right spot with the ball rolling towards him.

There are plenty of things to get on Diantae Johnson about, this one aint it

• Haha
I didn’t see it,” Johnson said when asked after the game about the sequence. “I was just doing my job blocking or whatever it

Or whatever it is. Dudes a cancer

What an ass. Steelers home of the head case wrs.

Plexiglass Burris
AB
Drop
Pickens
The dope from clemson
Claypool
Think about the leadership on the Bettis/Ward steeler teams compared to this team.

It’s amazing that this team is 7-4.

I go back and forth on Tomlin and I’ve been down on him this year because of his management of the Canada situation…but it’s amazing to me that this team is like 12-6 in their last 18 games.

Doesn't surprise me one bit. He drops too many then sulks then when he does hold on to one he has to waste precious seconds giving the first down sign beating his chest saying "look at me".

I'm sick of hearing about how well Mike Tomlin manages egos. We are more like a breeding ground for them.
It’s funny that immediately after the game, callers to shows were calling for DJ’s head, but show hosts were immediacy shooting them down and saying Tomlin will deal with things his own way because Tomlin has different standards for A players than he does for B players.

In other words the standard isn’t the standard.

You do realize the Bengal player covering him was standing still too, the only difference is since he was facing the line of scrimmage he saw the ball rolling towards him, where as Johnson was facing downfield and didn’t see the ball.

Honestly the defensive player just standing there and not trying to get involved in the play/tackle should be viewed more harshly, again he just happened to be in the right spot with the ball rolling towards him.

If Johnson was blocking he may have seen the ball coming his way! I would bet he would hear the whistle if he were to made to run sprints until the whistle blows!

It’s funny that immediately after the game, callers to shows were calling for DJ’s head, but show hosts were immediacy shooting them down and saying Tomlin will deal with things his own way because Tomlin has different standards for A players than he does for B players.

In other words the standard isn’t the standard.
Drops is far from an A player

Well, a couple things here. First, I think he was waiting (as I was) for the challenge flag, since the play before that was a touchdown by him, that should have been overturned. Even Tomlin said after the game they think it would have been overturned but did not get word down in time to challenge it.

So, I think for sure that was the reason, and then it looked like he was down. But, a lot of players there were kinda stopped waiting for the whistle. It was a clear touchdown, with 2 feet down then the defender swiped down to knock the ball out. But, clearly it was a catch and control, and thus a dead ball in the end zone per the rule.

It’s a national story.
But it’s really not

Social media isn’t the real world .

Do think the Steelers should sign him to another deal?
No
It’s he the most unlikable steeler by a large margin ? Yes
Does it seem his teammates are tired or his shit ? Yes

Is that uncommon in nfl locker rooms? No

If I’m Rooney, I would call Tomlin and ask him how he’s going to address that situation.

That call would be to let him know he is watching. Furthermore, I would tell him that he understands player’s frustration, but the lack of effort will never be tolerated.

If for some reason Warren bounced that run outside, a block could've helped as well. Also, Johnson isn't getting called out today if he didn't bring some attention to himself with the report of "chirping" at the coaching staff on the sideline and locker room last week and all his negative body language on the field throwing his arms up in the air. When you're doing that type of stuff you're placing yourself under a microscope.

I watched the play live, he was merely a decoy and not part of the play. There were a few players who stopped because they thought Warren was down and the play over.

He wasn't merely a decoy. That play was clearly designed to the left side of the field. At a minimum he should've been blocking his man. If Warren breaks the tackle, the only players that could've prevented him from scoring were DJ's man and safety Dax Hill.

But it’s really not

Social media isn’t the real world .

Do think the Steelers should sign him to another deal?
No
It’s he the most unlikable steeler by a large margin ? Yes
Does it seem his teammates are tired or his shit ? Yes

Is that uncommon in nfl locker rooms? No
LOL - It is on every major outlet (CBS, Fox, ESPN, etc.) ESPN is destroying him, including Ex-Steeler Ryan Clark.

DJ is just a symptom. He's not the disease. The disease is at a minimum, youth on the offensive side of the ball. They have almost no veteran presence on that side of the ball. That was evident yesterday. At worst, there is a major culture problem with the Steelers where that type of behavior is acceptable.

I didn’t see it,” Johnson said when asked after the game about the sequence. “I was just doing my job blocking or whatever it

Or whatever it is. Dudes a cancer
What was he supposed to say ?
His job was to occupy the DB to keep him out of the box .
You guys love your drama so much you’re desperate to make it a soap opera

Reactions: Pitt8189
Well, a couple things here. First, I think he was waiting (as I was) for the challenge flag, since the play before that was a touchdown by him, that should have been overturned. Even Tomlin said after the game they think it would have been overturned but did not get word down in time to challenge it.

So, I think for sure that was the reason, and then it looked like he was down. But, a lot of players there were kinda stopped waiting for the whistle. It was a clear touchdown, with 2 feet down then the defender swiped down to knock the ball out. But, clearly it was a catch and control, and thus a dead ball in the end zone per the rule.
Yes he is still waiting for the challenge.

Only people with an axe to grind against Johnson are focusing on what he was doing on that play. Whereas the main question is was Warren’s knee down before the ball came out.

Only people with an axe to grind against Johnson are focusing on what he was doing on that play. Whereas the main question is was Warren’s knee down before the ball came out.
It was clearly a fumble , unfortunately

apparently espn is running segment after segment on the issue. But for me it deflects from what’s more important…how an 18 mil vet can’t secure this routine TD.

The Bengal defender was doing his job; i.e. defending Johnson. Do you believe that that play called for Johnson to remain motionless at the line of scrimmage? and I repeat, after he finally became aware of the situation, he made no attempt to follow the play. This last egotistic straw may be enough to break the camel's back. Mr Butterfingers is doing more harm than good.

The Bengal defender was doing his job; i.e. defending Johnson. Do you believe that that play called for Johnson to remain motionless at the line of scrimmage? and I repeat, after he finally became aware of the situation, he made no attempt to follow the play. This last egotistic straw may be enough to break the camel's back. Mr Butterfingers is doing more harm than good.
On a running play the defender’s job is tackle the ball carrier, not defend someone who doesn’t have the ball. He was standing around doing nothing and the ball rolled to him.

Who exactly do the Steelers have to replace Johnson? Fans had best beware the agenda of this media, Steelers should definitely ignore the outside noise and see if they can continue to improve offensively with Canada gone. If the Steelers cut Johnson and the passing attacks regresses do you think these people in the media will blame themselves for pressuring Pittsburgh to cut Johnson? No?

I have no axe to grind. Dude drops a ton of balls he should catch and his attitude stinks. (See totally quitting, we’ll scratch that you have to start to quit on a play )

Warren unfortunately fumbled or at least the video wasn’t concluding enough to over turn it

Johnson likely didn’t fumble but I think the announcers were right. Challenging that was not a sure fire overrun given how stinking subjective the catch rule is

On a running play the defender’s job is tackle the ball carrier, not defend someone who doesn’t have the ball. He was standing around doing nothing and the ball rolled to him.

Who exactly do the Steelers have to replace Johnson? Fans had best beware the agenda of this media, Steelers should definitely ignore the outside noise and see if they can continue to improve offensively with Canada gone. If the Steelers cut Johnson and the passing attacks regresses do you think these people in the media will blame themselves for pressuring Pittsburgh to cut Johnson? No?

So how does what the defender did absolve Johnson from standing up and doing absolutely. Nothing at the snap of the. Ball?

I wouldn’t cut Johnson but I sure as hell would look to trade him and find a replacement in the draft and or via free agency.

I have no axe to grind. Dude drops a ton of balls he should catch and his attitude stinks. (See totally quitting, we’ll scratch that you have to start to quit on a play )

Warren unfortunately fumbled or at least the video wasn’t concluding enough to over turn it

Johnson likely didn’t fumble but I think the announcers were right. Challenging that was not a sure fire overrun given how stinking subjective the catch rule is
The problem I have is the officials did not call it a touchdown which would have initiated an automatic review. While they DID rule Warren’s play a fumble, letting it play out.

So how does what the defender did absolve Johnson from standing up and doing absolutely. Nothing at the snap of the. Ball?

I wouldn’t cut Johnson but I sure as hell would look to trade him and find a replacement in the draft and or via free agency.
Of course in the offseason you look to replace him, I don’t understand why they brought him back in the first place.

Axe to grind? Why would anyone have an axe to grind with Johnson? We’d love to be discussing his plus plays. I think everyone was happy for him when he scored a couple of weeks ago. But He makes over a million dollars per game. Players making a million per game shouldn’t be taking plays off like on this play, running backwards on other plays, misreading defenses on other plays, and dropping TD passes on other plays. That doesn’t leave many plays left to truly and rightfully earn his game check.

I’d say he’s less of a problem than Pickens, except Pickens is on a rookie deal.

Reactions: pbrad and pittbb80
I’m no DJ fan -
But you guys overreact to everything .
As discussed, it was all over every show yesterday, nationally and locally. Espn was running it all day.

And now Tomlin just told the media that DJ has to answer for it and will give him a chance with his teammates tomorrow and then the media later in the week. So the HC doesn’t think it’s an overreaction. He also said he might speak on it once DJ talks to his teammate’s and the media.

As discussed, it was all over every show yesterday, nationally and locally. Espn was running it all day.

And now Tomlin just told the media that DJ has to answer for it and will give him a chance with his teammates tomorrow and then the media later in the week. So the HC doesn’t think it’s an overreaction. He also said he might speak on it once DJ talks to his teammate’s and the media.
Not sure how anyone can say its an over reaction when the tape clearly shows he did absolutely NOTHING at the snap...... then as the play progressed was unaware of what was going on because he was totally disinterested in the play. He even looked at the ball and walked away while the guy guarding him went after it, picked it up and returned it. Had he at least ya know did his job and even made a half assed effort to block the DB, the DB doesnt recover the fumble and return it.

Reactions: TheChair
Not sure how anyone can say its an over reaction when the tape clearly shows he did absolutely NOTHING at the snap...... then as the play progressed was unaware of what was going on because he was totally disinterested in the play. He even looked at the ball and walked away while the guy guarding him went after it, picked it up and returned it. Had he at least ya know did his job and even made a half assed effort to block the DB, the DB doesnt recover the fumble and return it.
As a former salaried amateur coach myself, LOLLOLOL, I have to say coaches eat up situations like this. It’s a great teachable moment. And not insignificant.

You can’t mope because of what happened on the previous play.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT