ADVERTISEMENT

Disappointment for our guys

Chairman Moe

All Conference
Nov 4, 2003
Just around the corner from Paradise
First, no banner. Even a share of the regular season title would've allowed Pitt to hang a banner at the Pete. Those stay forever and would've been their legacy

Second, no double bye. Having that extra day; one fewer game to play; etc etc etc

Third, no guaranteed spot in the NCAAT

No doubt, this year's Pitt Men's Basketball team will be remembered by a lot of fans; this board's fans for sure, as many of us have been around since its inception on Rivals. ( I joined when Jim Pantherlair ran the show ) There have certainly been a lot better and more successful Pitt teams; and a lot worse. I'd really like to see this group have something (a banner/trophy) tangible as a lasting memory of this season

That said, and as optimistic as I like to think I am, I don't see Pitt winning the ACCT. It's possible for sure, but unlikely. And unless they get a favorable bid/seed/region in the NCAAT, anything more than a first round win is also unlikely.

I hate to say this, but I will anyway: Pitt probably has a much better shot at winning the NIT right now, and certainly that is their best chance at a Championship. I'm not rooting for them to fail next week; nor am I rooting for them to miss out on an NCAAT bid. But if things don't go well in Greensboro I think they could regroup, and make it to MSG; and win the damn thing! And wouldn't that be cool?

$hit ... I almost feel like I'm Sean Miller Fan, Jr. for posting this. Please go easy on me with your comments ... 🤪😜😂

Reactions: Gep Dawg
First, no banner. Even a share of the regular season title would've allowed Pitt to hang a banner at the Pete. Those stay forever and would've been their legacy

Second, no double bye. Having that extra day; one fewer game to play; etc etc etc

No doubt, this year's Pitt Men's Basketball team will be remembered by a lot of fans; this board's fans for sure, as many of us have been around since its inception on Rivals. ( I joined when Jim Pantherlair ran the show ) There have certainly been a lot better and more successful Pitt teams; and a lot worse. I'd really like to see this group have something (a banner/trophy) tangible as a lasting memory of this season

That said, and as optimistic as I like to think I am, I don't see Pitt winning the ACCT. It's possible for sure, but unlikely. And unless they get a favorable bid/seed/region in the NCAAT, anything more than a first round win is also unlikely.

I hate to say this, but I will anyway: Pitt probably has a much better shot at winning the NIT right now, and certainly that is their best chance at a Championship. I'm not rooting for them to fail next week; nor am I rooting for them to miss out on an NCAAT bid. But if things don't go well in Greensboro I think they could regroup, and make it to MSG; and win the damn thing! And wouldn't that be cool?

$hit ... I almost feel like I'm Sean Miller Fan, Jr. for posting this. Please go easy on me with your comments ... 🤪😜😂
The NIT finals are in Vegas this year. But I think Pitt is still NCAA bound. I agree about winning the ACCT but I think they can beat GT-FSU and give Duke a run for their money.

Win the first game, hopefully comfortably, and I think we’re in. But I think it’s a must win.

Lose it, it’s a lot less likely. Which seems crazy (I think Pitt should have sealed a bid after Syracuse). But it will show a 3 game free fall to end the season, including 2 of those L’s against bad teams, and a one and done in the conference tourney… and those are very negative optics.

Some will depend on who else around our same level has done in those same games, as well as their own conference tourneys. Hopefully most of those also crater.

But if someone else has gotten hot while we have gone cold, that’s bad. After the 7 years that Pitt has just had, we’re a program that can’t afford to give a reason to be left out.

How I see it, at least.

Reactions: PittPoker
Being in the NIT would mean ending a once-promising season on a three-game losing streak and almost certainly not wanting to be there. Those teams tend to not fare well in the NIT when they get matched up with guys who are thrilled to be there and feel like they're playing for something. I could see us playing like we did in the George Washington game if it came to that.

I agree that it sucks there will be nothing tangible to show for this season. Really wish these guys could have a banner and a reason to reunite every 5 or 10 years (both amongst themselves or to be honored during a home game as having been ACC Champs).

It felt like such a big deal was made out of that Syracuse game. To a point where I found it kind of weird. I get showing up and everything, but people seemed to attach some sort of "Pitt's Super Bowl" aura to simply beating a flailing team. And then we came out against Notre Dame like it was the Pro Bowl. I definitely think the hangover lingered and cost us.

Reactions: jctrack
I blame Boehiem…..Syracuse became a much bigger game once he opened his mouth about PITT “buying a team”….

The 3 game losing streak to end the season is the main concern now. Is this going to be a trend for Pitt now as we enter the postseason? Do we get tired enough to not rebound and not play defense as the season wears on?

The 3 game losing streak to end the season is the main concern now. Is this going to be a trend for Pitt now as we enter the postseason? Do we get tired enough to not rebound and not play defense as the season wears on?
They’ve only lost two.

The ND game is the killer right now.

Pick apart the Miami game if you want (rebounding, poor D, etc). But bottom line is we had a ball in the air to win. It’s what I expected. Just didn’t come out on top.

Making the NCAA’s is the goal. The air will go out of the balloon if we happen to miss the tournament and end up in the NIT at this point. I would go further with my comments, but you requested that we go easy on you.

Making the NCAA’s is the goal. The air will go out of the balloon if we happen to miss the tournament and end up in the NIT at this point. I would go further with my comments, but you requested that we go easy on you.
I don't know if I'll even watch Pitt in the NIT. Ask me before the season and I would have taken it in a heartbeat. Now if they fall to the NIT I would be massively disappointed and really not interested.

Last edited:
Reactions: kma0043
The ND game is the killer right now.

Pick apart the Miami game if you want (rebounding, poor D, etc). But bottom line is we had a ball in the air to win. It’s what I expected. Just didn’t come out on top.

The only reason we had the ball in the air to win against Miami was because we decided to play good defense for the last 2 minutes. I can only imagine what the Miami fans would have said if that last shot went in and we won by 1 point. Remember, Hinson's foot was over the line on one shot he took where he was awarded a 3 but was actually a 2. But in the end, Pitt has to play 40 minutes of good defense and rebounding in order to win. The offense and scoring will take care of itself. We've seen that happen repeatedly this season.

Being in the NIT would mean ending a once-promising season on a three-game losing streak and almost certainly not wanting to be there. Those teams tend to not fare well in the NIT when they get matched up with guys who are thrilled to be there and feel like they're playing for something. I could see us playing like we did in the George Washington game if it came to that.
The George Washington game was a different era; different coach; team who expected to win and get into the NCAA tournament
I agree that it sucks there will be nothing tangible to show for this season. Really wish these guys could have a banner and a reason to reunite every 5 or 10 years (both amongst themselves or to be honored during a home game as having been ACC Champs).
I listened to Jim Larranaga's press conference after the game. He says that the guys from the 2013 ACC championship team still get together regularly
It felt like such a big deal was made out of that Syracuse game. To a point where I found it kind of weird. I get showing up and everything, but people seemed to attach some sort of "Pitt's Super Bowl" aura to simply beating a flailing team. And then we came out against Notre Dame like it was the Pro Bowl. I definitely think the hangover lingered and cost us.
There was a lot of anti-climactic feel to the ND game, but the roles were reversed so to speak as ND was playing their final home game/senior night. The fact that Mike Brey was also saying goodbye to the Irish fans made it even more of a "hangover" event

A lot of what this team has accomplished this season has been driven by chemistry, maturity, team mentality, hustle and belief versus talent.

Those intangibles are the biggest difference between this team winning 14 league games instead of losing 14, but they can’t always carry the day. And of course when a team relies so heavily on made 3s, when the shots don’t fall, there’s no safety net. I’d love to see an ACC tournament championship, but I don’t think it’s gonna happen.

Just looking forward to getting into the field of 64 and hopefully making a little noise. It’s been too long.

Reactions: JRPITT
A lot of what this team has accomplished this season has been driven by chemistry, maturity, team mentality, hustle and belief versus talent.
Larranaga said the same of his team (chemistry, maturity, et al) this year at his press conference last night. In reflection, there was just a bit more talent with the 'Canes than with us. But just a bit. Think if Elliott had scored but one FG last night?
Those intangibles are the biggest difference between this team winning 14 league games instead of losing 14, but they can’t always carry the day. And of course when a team relies so heavily on made 3s, when the shots don’t fall, there’s no safety net. I’d love to see an ACC tournament championship, but I don’t think it’s gonna happen.
No argument there.
Just looking forward to getting into the field of 64 and hopefully making a little noise. It’s been too long.
I would much prefer seeing Pitt play in the NCAAT than the NIT. We will need a favorable seed/matchup if we're going to make any noise, regardless of how little (or hopefully, large)

Larranaga said the same of his team (chemistry, maturity, et al) this year at his press conference last night. In reflection, there was just a bit more talent with the 'Canes than with us. But just a bit. Think if Elliott had scored but one FG last night?

No argument there.

I would much prefer seeing Pitt play in the NCAAT than the NIT. We will need a favorable seed/matchup if we're going to make any noise, regardless of how little (or hopefully, large)
The NIT would be a gut punch at this point.

Pitt would not fair well in the NIT. They would be disinterested. They have been pushing the narrative as Pitt is back all year. Need to win Wednesday see what happens from there

I agree...our guys would feel very let down and disinterested if it was the NIT. At this point, they believe, rightfully so, that they have earned the NCAAT bid and should get it. In reality if they lose their first ACCT game, they're likely looking at the NIT. And that would be disheartening for them after what they've accomplished this year.

I think it Pitt wins Wednesday they will at least be a First Four team. Looking at the bracketology reports today makes me think we just have to win one game and at least make the tournament. I say this because we are still not only in a last four bye slot, we are the top last four bye slot. So have to think that stays the same if we win Wednesday night and don't get blown out Thursday night. I think if we lose a close game Wednesday we still could end up one of the last teams in if its Georgia Tech. I think a loss to Florida State would put us right into the NIT.

I think it Pitt wins Wednesday they will at least be a First Four team. Looking at the bracketology reports today makes me think we just have to win one game and at least make the tournament. I say this because we are still not only in a last four bye slot, we are the top last four bye slot. So have to think that stays the same if we win Wednesday night and don't get blown out Thursday night. I think if we lose a close game Wednesday we still could end up one of the last teams in if its Georgia Tech. I think a loss to Florida State would put us right into the NIT.
If we lose Wednesday imo 30% Dayton, 5% regular NCAA Tournament field and 65% NIT.

If we win Wednesday and lose Thursday imo it's 95% regular field of NCAA Tournament and 5% Dayton.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT