ADVERTISEMENT

Kenny Payne Year 2 starting off well

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Lost to D2 Kentucky Wesleyan. Louisville fans want him fired now. I have a feeling BballinsiderfromPitt is going to take a major L on his NCAAT prediction for this team. Probably the worst ever prediction on this board.

And speaking of all-time worsts, how bout this Payne quote from tonight? "We can't beat teams with talent. We're never going to have the most talent." Lol. Its Louisville. They won a natty not long ago. They should have the most talented team in the ACC after Duke and UNC almost every year.

Last edited:
It's an exhibition game. I wouldn't draw any conclusions from a late October exhibition game. In fact, there is nothing I find more meaningless than November college basketball.

Didn't Rick Pitino lose to Pace?

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
It's an exhibition game. I wouldn't draw any conclusions from a late October exhibition game. In fact, there is nothing I find more meaningless than November college basketball.

Didn't Rick Pitino lose to Pace?

You see some of these across the country so in a sense, you are right. But I think tou can draw a lot of conclusions from this since its Kenny Payne. And if we go back, the worst Pitt teams in the last 20 years were the ones who struggled in these games. CMU lead by 1 at half on the loss to Pacific team. Kentucky Wesleyan (ironically) was in it until the end vs the worst Dixon team. The Stallings teams struggled with PSAC teams.

I dunno, I surely know I love “Feast Week” a ton!
I enjoy Feast Week and having some of the games turned on, even if its just background noise. There's always games that go right down to the wire.
I usually just don't watch very closely or draw many conclusions on what teams can play until at least mid-January.

My son is big into UVA hoops, and one of my best friends coached Dante Harris (transferred in to UVA from Georgetown) in high school for 2 years, ...until Curtis Staples recruited him away. 😆 So I'm looking forward to seeing him play and hoping he does well. I'm not very optimistic about UVA hoops this year in general though.

Ironically, still in the ACC, another coaching buddy's daughter is dating Orchad Omier. I'm going to try to make it to Arkansas to see his team play this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: GlennEM
I remember a very good Syracuse team lost an exhibition to a D2 team and then made a deep NCAA run in March. But that was Boeheim and this is Kenny Payne.

Still, I’d take Kenny Payne over Frank Cignetti or Matt Canada. Wonder if he can call football plays from the booth?

I remember a very good Syracuse team lost an exhibition to a D2 team and then made a deep NCAA run in March. But that was Boeheim and this is Kenny Payne.

Still, I’d take Kenny Payne over Frank Cignetti or Matt Canada. Wonder if he can call football plays from the booth?

Cignett and Canada are not as bad as we all make them seem. Both have very bad offensive talent. Their really just below average. Payne is on another level. He is on the very short list of worst P6 coach of all time.

Cignett and Canada are not as bad as we all make them seem. Both have very bad offensive talent. Their really just below average. Payne is on another level. He is on the very short list of worst P6 coach of all time.
Cignetti would be better with a proper QB that he didn’t handpick. But Canada has no pedigree whatsoever. Zilch. Over his head. Unqualified. He is like a professor who gives the answers away to every test. Every defense knows what’s coming from his vanilla ass. Sure he needs better talent. But he ain’t simply below average. He’s been bottom of the league since he got the job and he was quickly run out of LSU because of his ineptitude.

Lost to D2 Kentucky Wesleyan. Louisville fans want him fired now. I have a feeling BballinsiderfromPitt is going to take a major L on his NCAAT prediction for this team. Probably the worst ever prediction on this board.

And speaking of all-time worsts, how bout this Payne quote from tonight? "We can't beat teams with talent. We're never going to have the most talent." Lol. Its Louisville. They won a natty not long ago. They should have the most talented team in the ACC after Duke and UNC almost every year.
St. John’s brought in 12 new players, has the best coach in the sport and lost to Pace University. FYI, the games haven’t started yet.

Yeah like I said, the best coach in the sport lost to D2 Pace after beating Rutgers. Payne may be terrible and have a terrible year. An exhibition means less than nothing though.

St. John’s brought in 12 new players, has the best coach in the sport and lost to Pace University. FYI, the games haven’t started yet.

Your boy Payne is going to be really bad again. Another major L coming your way. And your SJU example isnt a good one since its literally a brand new team. Should always beat Pace but a new team like that could struggle early.

Your boy Payne is going to be really bad again. Another major L coming your way. And your SJU example isnt a good one since its literally a brand new team. Should always beat Pace but a new team like that could struggle early.
Actually it’s the perfect example. They had just dominated Rutgers and then lost to Pace. Every team is a new team. Another dumb argument by the king of them.

Augusta beats Georgia Southern then loses to a D3 team. An exhibition loss means less than nothing.

His quotes after the game were concerning though.

Actually it’s the perfect example. They had just dominated Rutgers and then lost to Pace. Every team is a new team. Another dumb argument by the king of them.

Augusta beats Georgia Southern then loses to a D3 team. An exhibition loss means less than nothing.

His quotes after the game were concerning though.

Pitino has a new team in every way. They are going to have some head-scratcher games, both ways. Not worried about SJU. They'll be in the NCAAT. Louisville losing to a D2, who was picked 8th in their D2 league, is more likely to predictive of the season to come than the expansion team that Pitino has. Its become apparent that Payne is just a horrible coach.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
remember a very good Syracuse team lost an exhibition to a D2 team and then made a deep NCAA run in March. But that was Boeheim and this is Kenny Payne.
Yeah, that's true. LeMoyne beat Syracuse some years ago in the
exhibition game you mentioned. LeMoyne is a small Catholic
college in Syracuse. They were Division 11 at the time. I think
they just went to Div. 1 during this past year.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Of course it's a "perfect example." That ex loss is meaningless.
Pitino will more than likely turn that loss into a teaching moment
and into a motivating opportunity for his NEW players. Anyone
thinking that St. John's isn't going to improve dramatically is out
of touch with reality. Pitino is not like Chris Mullin's return, years
ago. Mullins was a rookie coach. Pitino is at the top of his profession
even though he has many haters. He's returning home (grew up in
nearby Long Island) and has more contacts there than you can imagine.
He may be disliked around the country, but not in Queens N.Y., home of
St. John's). Just look at what he did at nearby Iona. Iona? LOL, not exactly
an NCAA powerhouse. ( I actually went to summer school at Iona Prep
when in h.s.).

I've posted about Pitino before on here, and I also feel he's the top coach
in America. He's going to draw top NY players to St. John's like a magnet.
The excitement at St. John's and the area is off the charts. No "just my
two cents" or IMO" as I usually do on here. Why?....because I'm dead certain
of the above.

Last edited:
Pitino has a new team in every way. They are going to have some head-scratcher games, both ways. Not worried about SJU. They'll be in the NCAAT. Louisville losing to a D2, who was picked 8th in their D2 league, is more likely to predictive of the season to come than the expansion team that Pitino has. Its become apparent that Payne is just a horrible coach.
Sucks for Pitt. He may not make it to the season, actually. They may make a move this week.

They instantly become the top open job regardless of what else opens and grab a Billy Donovan type and right the ship

Of course it's a "perfect example." That ex loss is meaningless.
Pitino will more than likely turn that loss into a teaching moment
and into a motivating opportunity for his NEW players. Anyone
thinking that St. John's isn't going to improve dramatically is out
of touch with reality. Pitino is not like Chris Mullin's return, years
ago. Mullins was a rookie coach. Pitino is at the top of his profession
even though he has many haters. He's returning home (grew up in
nearby Long Island) and has more contacts there than you can imagine.
He may be disliked around the county, but not in Queens N.Y., home of
St. John's). Just look at what he did at nearby Iona. Iona? LOL, not exactly
an NCAA powerhouse. ( I actually went to summer school at Iona Prep
when in h.s.).

I've posted about Pitino before on here, and I also feel he's the top coach
in America. He's going to draw top NY players to St. John's like a magnet.
The excitement at St. John's and the area is off the charts. No "just my
two cents" or IMO" as I usually do on here. Why?....because I'm dead certain
of the above.
Yeah it’s obviously the perfect example. You’re taking the top coach in the country v the worst in ACC. SMF just doesn’t think logically

Technically Louisville last won a title in 1986.

Reactions: FireballZ
Got no skin in this Payne pissing match
But if the context was talent isn’t enough , we need to execute and effort -
Then it’s not a big deal because that’s factual .

4-6

Just lost to Arkansas State. Their 4 wins have come against UMBC by 1, NM St in OT, Bellarmine by 5, and 0-11 Coppin St by 20.

Looks like BballinsiderfromPitt's NCAAT prediction from them is going to turn out to be wrong. Kenny Payne is so incompetent that its comical.

4-6

Just lost to Arkansas State. Their 4 wins have come against UMBC by 1, NM St in OT, Bellarmine by 5, and 0-11 Coppin St by 20.

Looks like BballinsiderfromPitt's NCAAT prediction from them is going to turn out to be wrong. Kenny Payne is so incompetent that its comical.
Guess we’re even since you got every step of WVU wrong. Oh wait no you’re still down.

And this sucks. Louisville hires Mick Cronin or Nate Oats and are right back on top. Damn

Guess we’re even since you got every step of WVU wrong. Oh wait no you’re still down.

And this sucks. Louisville hires Mick Cronin or Nate Oats and are right back on top. Damn

They...and WVU will hire big-time coaches and be in the NCAAT soon. Maybe next year. Not sure that sucks for Pitt though because playing #275 Louisville twice is a no win situation. You have to win by 30 and we may not, especially on the road. A good Louisville team team gives us another Q1 opportunity. Only 7 of our 20 ACC games are vs Q1. The league is so bad, I'm wondering if they should cut it to 16 games so schools can schedule Q1 games outside of the ACC.

They...and WVU will hire big-time coaches and be in the NCAAT soon. Maybe next year. Not sure that sucks for Pitt though because playing #275 Louisville twice is a no win situation. You have to win by 30 and we may not, especially on the road. A good Louisville team team gives us another Q1 opportunity. Only 7 of our 20 ACC games are vs Q1. The league is so bad, I'm wondering if they should cut it to 16 games so schools can schedule Q1 games outside of the ACC.

We are doomed.

We are doomed.
It does kind of suck other programs can course correct so quickly. If we made a bad hire or extension in either sport we have to wait. Then we hire an assistant.

Louisville will can Kenny and get either Oats (if Michigan doesn’t can Juwan first) or Mick.

Reactions: cabe23
It does kind of suck other programs can course correct so quickly. If we made a bad hire or extension in either sport we have to wait. Then we hire an assistant.

Louisville will can Kenny and get either Oats (if Michigan doesn’t can Juwan first) or Mick.
Didn’t we fire a coach after 2 season really recently ?

Louisville is like a semi-blue blood so they should be able to coure correct quickly. I think them getting Oats or Cronin (2 guys I really pushed for that we could have had) is good for Pitt. The ACC has to hire better coaches. Only having 7 of our 20 games vs Q1 is despicable. A program like Pitt has to be nearly perfect in regards to how they navigate their schedule to get an at-large bid.

Louisville is like a semi-blue blood so they should be able to coure correct quickly. I think them getting Oats or Cronin (2 guys I really pushed for that we could have had) is good for Pitt. The ACC has to hire better coaches. Only having 7 of our 20 games vs Q1 is despicable. A program like Pitt has to be nearly perfect in regards to how they navigate their schedule to get an at-large bid.
What’s funny is somehow the Big 10 is worse. I think they only have 4 teams in the top 60 net, ACC has 8. Double.

It’s a very bad Big 10 year. That helps potential bubble teams like Pitt.

Reactions: cabe23
What’s funny is somehow the Big 10 is worse. I think they only have 4 teams in the top 60 net, ACC has 8. Double.

It’s a very bad Big 10 year. That helps potential bubble teams like Pitt.

The B10 is so overrated but somehow they always end up with a ton of teams. Maybe it finally caught up with them. I don't think they have coaches at the level of the SEC or B12.

Heather fired Stallings after Year 2 … and after her first season. As much of a no-brainer as it was, that was still an impressive move to get him out quickly.

Heather fired Stallings after Year 2 … and after her first season. As much of a no-brainer as it was, that was still an impressive move to get him out quickly.
True, but I mean more of the ability to get out of a terrible contract like Duzz’s or Capel’s should they need to move on.

True, but I mean more of the ability to get out of a terrible contract like Duzz’s or Capel’s should they need to move on.

Capel's contract turned not to be so bad:

2020: no tournament so the season was a waste anyway

2021: no fans, tournament played at the YMCA

2022: bad

2023: Round of 32

2024: NIT

Have 2025, 26, and 27 left and should have a team next year capable of making the NCAAT.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT