ADVERTISEMENT

Ditka says facemasks are for sissies...

Players should not wear helmets. Then they would learn how to tackle properly like rugby players do (who don't have near the concussion problem). Football players ise their helmets as a weapon
I guess you never played football and enjoyed the sound of your helmut crashing into the facemask and helmut of a RB or player recieving the ball, hearing the crash, the grunt, the moans, the feeling of getting up, walking away, adjusting your helmut, your coaches and team-mates yelling great hit while you opponent is trying to figure out what day it is.

That's football!
Whatever game they're coming up with will never be football!

"it's five o'clock somewhere"
Signed: Mr Buffett
Go PITT & CSU Rams!

Players should not wear helmets. Then they would learn how to tackle properly like rugby players do (who don't have near the concussion problem). Football players ise their helmets as a weapon
They should get rid of helmets and shoulder pads too. or wear wrestling type headgear, then the tackling would become safer.

I guess you never played football and enjoyed the sound of your helmut crashing into the facemask and helmut of a RB or player recieving the ball, hearing the crash, the grunt, the moans, the feeling of getting up, walking away, adjusting your helmut, your coaches and team-mates yelling great hit while you opponent is trying to figure out what day it is.

That's football!
Whatever game they're coming up with will never be football!

Go PITT & CSU Rams!
I did, at WPIAL AAAA level in the '70s, but the point is that now theywant to end head trauma, this would partly do that.

To totally avoid injury you'd have to quit pretty much every sport. I dislocated my ankle playing volleyball.
Don't lie we've all been injured just lifting beer cans!
I fell off a second story balcony drinking, fell on my head, got a concussion and so far I don't see any calls to eliminate beer or drinking??
It's selective outrage!
Liberals hate football!

Go PITT & CSU Rams!

Last edited:

Why bring those old German politicians into it?

Or just make them sign a waiver acknowledging the fact that they could get concussions that might affect their brains in the long run. Who ever does not agree to sign, can find another line of work.

I fell off a second story balcony drinking, fell on my head, got a concussion and so far I don't see any calls to eliminate beer or drinking??
It's selective outrage!
Liberals hate football!

Go PITT & CSU Rams!

True story — played football over a thirty year span. Played in college and had a brief stint with a college volleyball program. Played every sport you can think of and have all of the scars and busted up parts to prove it.

Most devastating injury of my life was a ground level fall on a patch of ice. No beer involved but it’s amazing how something stupid can screw You up for the rest of your life.

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
It's selective outrage!
Liberals hate football!

Go PITT & CSU Rams!

I have seen plenty of people who have suggested this

To totally avoid injury you'd have to quit pretty much every sport. I dislocated my ankle playing volleyball.
Ironically, I remember reading something a while back that said cheerleading is the #1 sport for concussions and head injuries. Not sure how accurate it is, but I can believe it with some of the falls and collisions I’ve seen.

Facemasks allowed the head to become a weapon. The rules of football are reversing that effect.

Rugby tackling is entirely different. High hits and lifting on a tackle are illegal and enforced by red cards (game ejection where the team plays shorthanded for the remainder of the game).

What I think would make a difference in dangerous plays in football is to stop penalising the defender for hitting a "defenseless" player, but to penalise the player who puts themselves into a dangerous situation. Diving for a poorly thrown pass or a receiver leaving their feet and placing themselves into a dangerous situation would be a 15 yard penalty on the offence. These plays happen in a split second fashion and it is often impossible for a defender to back off once they commit to a tackle.

I know the rule in the NFL made this a penalty, but how can a defencive player be "defenceless" ? I am specifically referring to the play when Juju blocked Burfict. Burfict was looking away, but pursuing the ball carrier. If a defencive player wants to avoid a block, they can simply lay down on the field. A ball carrier or receiver can do the same. They choose to be "defenceless". I think the penalty should be on them.

They should get rid of helmets and shoulder pads too. or wear wrestling type headgear, then the tackling would become safer.

Why bring those old German politicians into it?
LOL !
One of those words Helmet, Helmut.

Now that's Helmut's helmet? Those Germans thought of everything?
No facemask or chinstrap?
9940-004-5F9FBFF1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: USN_Panther
Better helmet technology directly correlates with using the head as a weapon. Helmets from the 60’s have leather strap suspension systems and small face masks. In this era guys didn’t tackle or block head first as they wound bust their face and head. By the late 70’s or so we see heavily padded helmets, full face masks and neck rolls. These helmets are heavy and made it possible to inflict damage of your target by leading with the head. By the 90’s it seemed most guys initiated contact with the head. We inadvertently made the game more dangerous by improving helmet technology and induced players to use it as a weapon. Until recently coaches encouraged blowing guys up head first.

Reactions: USN_Panther
To be honest when they started requiring headgear for

LOL !
One of those words Helmet, Helmut.

Now that's Helmut's helmet? Those Germans thought of everything?
No facemask or chinstrap?
9940-004-5F9FBFF1.jpg
He's probably flagged for spearing every play!

Under-reported problem with modern football is the force with which players collide. That is going to be hard to fix

Under-reported problem with modern football is the force with which players collide. That is going to be hard to fix
Wicker you're on to something?
Yes you have it!
Today we have huge, super strong guys running unreal 40's, lifting big weights, jumping higher than ever, and the pure force is breaking up body parts of all kinds.
This will be hard to fix!
Since the 90's players have been "head hunting." Since that time the technique hasn't changed but players are now almost super human.
I doubt anything changes or the sport will have to be renamed and redone because it won't be football.
Everyone has occupational hazards and for the millions that the players earn injuries of all kind will be their occupational hazard.
The liberal " do gooders" will try to fix things which means shut down football because they hate the game.

Go PITT CSU Rams!

Last edited:
Does the groundwire run down his neck and under his coat?
I think so and around his chestnuts, down his leg, connected to the metal boots with the metal spikes???????????????????
Definately not a guy you want to be out on the golf course with when you get a "pop up" thunder storm?????
Back at Stalag 13 they let him take the flag down during thunder storms!

Go PITT & CSU Rams!

Reactions: JED_72
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT