ADVERTISEMENT

DK reporting the Steelers are looking to upgrade Heinz/Acrisure and sign a long term lease.

ratking17

Head Coach
Mar 15, 2009
Says upgrades would include remove/replace the bleachers. (This seems like an easy one.)
Also more suites, especially for players families. He obviously is talking about the steelers here so I wonder if that means taking away seats to make these suites happen.
Finally says even though it would probably be an engineering impossibility, the Rooneys want no roof.

I personally LOVE us playing on north shore, parking, traffic, love sitting in the club etc. I hope this is a good sign for PITT continuing to play there!!!

Selfishly as someone that has a 4 hr drive, as much as the atmosphere of an on campus stadium would be nice, getting to and out of heinz is really convenient. I would also agree that if the steelers stay, so does pitt.

I am very surprised to hear this. The scuttlebutt that I have heard talked about PITT leaving Heinz field for an on campus stadium. 2027 was the likely announcement. If the Steelers stay, it may change it.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
I am very surprised to hear this. The scuttlebutt that I have heard talked about PITT leaving Heinz field for an on campus stadium. 2027 was the likely announcement. If the Steelers stay, it may change it.
PITT has done some STUPID things but I don't think they're stupid enough to to STUFF a stadium, where not only is there no room for it but parking and traffic would be a nightmare and tailgating would be virtually non-existent!! Let's hope this seals the deal to stay at Heinz for foreseeable future!!

More like they’ll announce the new BRT as a link from the Cathedral to town.

The bleachers are dumb. Wish they would mix in more pewter seats and less gold.

The obsession with constantly tearing down stadiums to build new ones is sinful. What a waste of capital and resources. I'd like to see Heinz stay around for another 30-40 years. After 60-70 years, I can see building a new stadium, not after 20-30. I believe the stadium is about 23 years old.

Atlanta builds stadiums/domes/ballparks at an alarming rate.

I detest owners who hold cities hostage to build.new stadiums or move. Ball club owners need to build the stadiums, then.

Two thoughts I have,

- I don’t think the Steelers were ever going to leave the North Shore, especially since they just built it out for revenue purposes. Too good of a setup to build elsewhere.
- I don’t think the Steelers staying at Heinz necessarily rules out an on-campus stadium. I don’t think we’re going to build one, but I also don’t think it’d be contingent on where they went.

Two thoughts I have,

- I don’t think the Steelers were ever going to leave the North Shore, especially since they just built it out for revenue purposes. Too good of a setup to build elsewhere.
- I don’t think the Steelers staying at Heinz necessarily rules out an on-campus stadium. I don’t think we’re going to build one, but I also don’t think it’d be contingent on where they went.

Do you think it gives the the stadium commission a green ight to jack up our rent in 2030 now that the Steelers will be locked in for the next 25 years?

Do you think it gives the the stadium commission a green ight to jack up our rent in 2030 now that the Steelers will be locked in for the next 25 years?
Everything is more expensive. Shouldn’t come as a surprise.

I don’t think so, at least not disproportionately. It’d go against the idea that Pitt and the Steelers are co-tenants at the stadium, even though that’s in name only.

All of the upgrades suggested were just DK’s thoughts and nothing official. Honestly, I just want to see faster concession lines and reliable Wi-fi in the stadium. I’m not exactly sure what else would upgrade my fan experience. Maybe regular seats in the upper deck end zone for those fans. It’d reduce capacity, but that’s the trend right now.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
PITT has done some STUPID things but I don't think they're stupid enough to to STUFF a stadium, where not only is there no room for it but parking and traffic would be a nightmare and tailgating would be virtually non-existent!! Let's hope this seals the deal to stay at Heinz for foreseeable future!!
Stupid or not, nobody ever seems to take into consideration that the city would never ALLOW it. The city is not only uncooperative to Pitt, it’s outright hostile.

- I don’t think the Steelers were ever going to leave the North Shore, especially since they just built it out for revenue purposes. Too good of a setup to build elsewhere. The North Side is more of an ancestral home to the Rooneys now than Ireland. They will never leave.
- I don’t think the Steelers staying at Heinz necessarily rules out an on-campus stadium. I don’t think we’re going to build one, but I also don’t think it’d be contingent on where they went. Until the realignment mess is settled once and for all, you can't waste money on a stadium. If there is a guarantee for the SEC invite, then by all means pursue it. Chances are pretty low though.

No wanting to leave is great. The question is who pays for the renovations that the stadium definitely needs. The city and county sure aren't, and the Rooney's aren't oil barons. Hopefully they can work out a plan smoothly and it's not a long drawn out fight.

No wanting to leave is great. The question is who pays for the renovations that the stadium definitely needs. The city and county sure aren't, and the Rooney's aren't oil barons. Hopefully they can work out a plan smoothly and it's not a long drawn out fight.
Probably a split, or at least a symbolic one. The county owns the place and would be desperate to keep them there. Might jack up the Regional Asset Tax to do so (aka expect aviary, conservatory, museums, zoos admissions, library fees, county paperwork fees etc to get bumped up). And/Or they’ll just increase our property taxes. Either way the county (the people of the county that is) will bear the brunt. But we “love” the Steelers, right? So no complaints will be uttered (they wouldn’t be reported by the obedient media anyway, even if there were).

Yeah, expect a rise in rent and reduction in concessions for Pitt, too. Nobody cares about shafting Pitt. It would delight a portion of people, actually…and unfortunately those people have heavy sway (pols and media).

The Steelers can likely easily get some sponsors to help (or completely cover) “their” share. But I doubt a cent of their own money will be used. Because they are kings of the region and don’t have to. I don’t blame them. Man, what a great thing that must be for that family…

We'll see about that.

Reactions: ThePanthers
I'd be pretty certain that the angle here is to get the city and county to pay for upgrades in exchange for a long-term lease. I'm sure it's being sold as a better alternative to having the Steelers hold a gun to their head over a new stadium.

Reactions: ThePanthers
I'd be pretty certain that the angle here is to get the city and county to pay for upgrades in exchange for a long-term lease. I'm sure it's being sold as a better alternative to having the Steelers hold a gun to their head over a new stadium.
Renovations are definitely the cheaper option. I hope the Steelers stay where they are, I like going to games in the city. It wouldn't be the same in the suburbs.

Probably a split, or at least a symbolic one. The county owns the place and would be desperate to keep them there. Might jack up the Regional Asset Tax to do so (aka expect aviary, conservatory, museums, zoos admissions, library fees, county paperwork fees etc to get bumped up). And/Or they’ll just increase our property taxes. Either way the county (the people of the county that is) will bear the brunt. But we “love” the Steelers, right? So no complaints will be uttered (they wouldn’t be reported by the obedient media anyway, even if there were).

Yeah, expect a rise in rent and reduction in concessions for Pitt, too. Nobody cares about shafting Pitt. It would delight a portion of people, actually…and unfortunately those people have heavy sway (pols and media).

The Steelers can likely easily get some sponsors to help (or completely cover) “their” share. But I doubt a cent of their own money will be used. Because they are kings of the region and don’t have to. I don’t blame them. Man, what a great thing that must be for that family…
Yea maybe sponsors is how the Rooney's get around putting money up themselves.

Stupid or not, nobody ever seems to take into consideration that the city would never ALLOW it. The city is not only uncooperative to Pitt, it’s outright hostile.
Maybe because the University keeps buying up large portions of Pittsburgh real estate that they then don't pay property taxes on.

This isn’t really true anymore. Ed Gainey is a huge Pitt friend and fan - much moreso than the prior administration. There are occasions where the best interests of Pitt legitimately conflict with the best interests of the city, but figuring out how to make that 2+2=4 is just politics.

This isn’t really true anymore. Ed Gainey is a huge Pitt friend and fan - much moreso than the prior administration. There are occasions where the best interests of Pitt legitimately conflict with the best interests of the city, but figuring out how to make that 2+2=4 is just politics.

the two nitters, Fitzgerald & Peduto, were actually Pitt friendly. Gainey is openly hostile to UPMC and really haven't seen much evidence that he is on Pitt's side.

I hope that’s true. I think it’s moot right now. But possibly along the line, if it’s presented that Pitt football is faced with the demand to build its own stadium to get into a mega conference (a demand I think is actually far fetched) with the consequence of not doing so that Pitt football may very well disappear all together by NOT getting into a mega conference(which is NOT far fetched)…maybe we work together to find the way. Remote, very remote…but “you’re saying there’s a chance”

the two nitters, Fitzgerald & Peduto, were actually Pitt friendly. Gainey is openly hostile to UPMC and really haven't seen much evidence that he is on Pitt's side.
UPMC and Pitt aren’t the same thing, though. Separate entities, priorities, leaders and relationships. I don’t disagree at all that the Gainey administration has been very critical of UPMC in certain contexts, particularly when it has come to UPMC’s labor practices and fighting unionization.

UPMC and Pitt aren’t the same thing, though. Separate entities, priorities, leaders and relationships. I don’t disagree at all that the Gainey administration has been very critical of UPMC in certain contexts, particularly when it has come to UPMC’s labor practices and fighting unionization.

I don't want to hijack this thread into the political quagmire, but Gaineys views on UPMC are highly influenced by a special interest group who has way too much say in city government. I'm hoping this doesn't spill over to Pitt as well.

I don't want to hijack this thread into the political quagmire, but Gaineys views on UPMC are highly influenced by a special interest group who has way too much say in city government. I'm hoping this doesn't spill over to Pitt as well.
I think that will depend on how the Pitt staff unionization bid plays out over the next year or so. That’s USW and not SEIU, though. I could see it getting a little frosty from the mayor’s office (as well as the incoming county executive) if Pitt takes a particularly aggressive anti-union stance with that effort.

I do think there are some substantive differences between the UPMC labor relationship and Pitt’s that should avoid most of the frostiness - mostly, IIRC, Pitt’s food service, maintenance, housekeeping, and other similarly-situated employees are already unionized, while those employees are the ones currently trying to unionize at UPMC.

There are some differences in optics, too, which make a difference - it’s not as though the mayor’s office is the only enemy of UPMC - their strategy appears to be to leave a path of enemies in the wake of their growth.

The Steelers should just focus on fixing that God awful turf they have to replace mid season every single year. I know it’s a cardinal sin to suggest field turf, but at least with field turf, you aren’t playing on frozen mud in December.
They replace the field in late November so they definitely aren’t playing on frozen mud. The NFL players also don’t want any part of field turf.

They replace the field in late November so they definitely aren’t playing on frozen mud. The NFL players also don’t want any part of field turf.
With Tennessee moving to turf this off-season, exactly 15 NFL stadiums will have field turf, that tells me NFL players are fine with it. Secondly, I was at the Raiders game last year in December, and I saw mud with my own 2 eyes, and it like everything else was frozen like a brick. So, don’t tell me there’s no mud. Regardless, who else replaces their field every single year? The turf there sucks.

It sounds like I am in the minority, but I have no problem with the upper end zone bleachers (I often sit there).

With Tennessee moving to turf this off-season, exactly 15 NFL stadiums will have field turf, that tells me NFL players are fine with it. Secondly, I was at the Raiders game last year in December, and I saw mud with my own 2 eyes, and it like everything else was frozen like a brick. So, don’t tell me there’s no mud. Regardless, who else replaces their field every single year? The turf there sucks.
Nah, the players definitely prefer grass overall. The NFLPA supports this https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...is-significantly-safer-surface-than-turf/amp/ as do player surveys.

The field was fine for the Raiders game. If it was turf it would’ve been played on a frozen brick of crumb rubber.

I don’t know how many replace the field but I’d assume more than the Steelers as the area between the hashes gets worn out.

Reactions: Celtsfan
We'll see about that.
After seeing the post, I decided to check into the value of the Rooney family. According to the article I read, the NYG are worth the most, valued at 4.3 billion dollars. The Steelers are 2nd in terms of team value at 3.0 billion dollars.
If the Rooney's ever wanted to build a new stadium somewhere else they could do it on by themselves. The reality of it is, they will never move that stadium away from its current location.
They make soooooo much money from not only the Steelers games being played at the stadium, but from all of the property rhey own in that area. When it comes to any additions, renovations, new buildings, new businesses coming to the area, I guarantee you that the City of Pittsburgh doesn't make a move until they consult with the Rooney's.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT