ADVERTISEMENT

Do We Have a Chance With PA. Qb Who Is Committing Today

poconopanther

Redshirt
Jul 5, 2001
I know we are one of five finalists for the four star Spring Ford QB from the Philly suburbs. Looks like Georgia is the perceived choice but he lists four others as finalists to include Pitt, Missouri, Alabama and Psu. His brother `-I assume- Zack Zollers is at Pitt as a walk on defensive player. Matt Zollers is expected to commit today at 3PM

We do not. He cut his list from four to three, and it's Missouri, Penn State, and Georgia. Missouri is expected to be the choice. They got a big NIL donation not long ago.

We do not. He cut his list from four to three, and it's Missouri, Penn State, and Georgia. Missouri is expected to be the choice. They got a big NIL donation not long ago.
I just read an article on on3 that said Pitt’s hat will be on the table today, but also acknowledged that they weren’t really a player aside from his brother being on the team.

I just read an article on on3 that said Pitt’s hat will be on the table today, but also acknowledged that they weren’t really a player aside from his brother being on the team.

I think we went after him pretty hard initially, but I assume the dollar amounts just got too out of hand with the players involved. College football is really starting to suck (yes, it's always been that way to SOME extent, but not quite like this).

Reactions: pittdan77
I think we went after him pretty hard initially, but I assume the dollar amounts just got too out of hand with the players involved. College football is really starting to suck (yes, it's always been that way to SOME extent, but not quite like this).
We're better off saving our NIL powder for known contributors. There's a good chance a true freshman QB won't even see the field and NIL is year to year so nothing is stopping him from going elsewhere next year.

The ROI on us paying a freshman QB is probably negative.

We're better off saving our NIL powder for known contributors. There's a good chance a true freshman QB won't even see the field and NIL is year to year so nothing is stopping him from going elsewhere next year.

I don't hate the idea of trying to hit the jackpot on a freshman QB. He'd probably come cheaper than a proven QB, and once he's in your system and hopefully successful, then it's more likely he'd want to stay put. If Kansas State can pull it off with the guy they currently have, then we should be able to swing something like that.

We're supposedly giving $300k to the 5th string QB with a hitch in his throwing motion that some coaches at Alabama wanted to move to TE, so it's possible we just couldn't do both, which makes sense. Time will tell if we made the right decision, I guess.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
The talk is that Mizzou offered a pile of money upfront. The Georgia and Penn State offers were similar to each other and more about potential earnings based on development and production.

The talk is that Mizzou offered a pile of money upfront. The Georgia and Penn State offers were similar to each other and more about potential earnings based on development and production.

You know NIL has gotten silly when a dude from eastern PA is passing on the local school, the school his brother plays at, and arguably the best program in the nation to go play for freaking Missouri.

I don't hate the idea of trying to hit the jackpot on a freshman QB. He'd probably come cheaper than a proven QB, and once he's in your system and hopefully successful, then it's more likely he'd want to stay put. If Kansas State can pull it off with the guy they currently have, then we should be able to swing something like that.

We're supposedly giving $300k to the 5th string QB with a hitch in his throwing motion that some coaches at Alabama wanted to move to TE, so it's possible we just couldn't do both, which makes sense. Time will tell if we made the right decision, I guess.
That $300k figure is outrageous. The going rate for a 4-star DL is about $100k.

I think I'd rather pay for multiple non-QB starter or contributors, even on defense, and just take lots of cheap shots on QB. QB prospecting and development is such a crapshoot and output is often system based so you're often better off with a good system and supporting cast (Brock Purdy) than you are investing tons of resources into a "sure thing" at QB (Trevor Lawrence). Obviously the baseline with the latter group can also be very high. But paying $300k for a dude who is currently not even 1st in our QB competition is probably not good money. Just my $.02.

I know we are one of five finalists for the four star Spring Ford QB from the Philly suburbs. Looks like Georgia is the perceived choice but he lists four others as finalists to include Pitt, Missouri, Alabama and Psu. His brother `-I assume- Zack Zollers is at Pitt as a walk on defensive player. Matt Zollers is expected to commit today at 3PM
Two chances. Slim and none and Slim left town.

Reactions: jctrack
After they took Heintschel I think that was an indication of where they stand with Zollers.
Pitt was Zollers first P5 offer last fall, but now everyone wants him and are throwing large NIL deals at him. You don't chase that. Go find someone else, which they apparently did.

QB is always a crapshoot. Take potential you can keep in house and develop.

That $300k figure is outrageous. The going rate for a 4-star DL is about $100k.

I think I'd rather pay for multiple non-QB starter or contributors, even on defense, and just take lots of cheap shots on QB. QB prospecting and development is such a crapshoot and output is often system based so you're often better off with a good system and supporting cast (Brock Purdy) than you are investing tons of resources into a "sure thing" at QB (Trevor Lawrence). Obviously the baseline with the latter group can also be very high. But paying $300k for a dude who is currently not even 1st in our QB competition is probably not good money. Just my $.02.
I honestly think that the system Bell is installing will depend less on arm strength and athleticism and more on accuracy and quick decision-making. We have been picked apart over the years by QBs who were able to make the quick slants or tuck and run when everyone is covered. It's a limited sample size, but I like what i've seen of Yarnell on that count. A QB like Slovis has great measurables, but he was so ponderously slow in executing plays.

This probably sounds like rationalizing, but Pitt has to decide where NIL $ is best spent, and we have a lot of needs right now. I also think that Diffenbach and Duggar could surprise. I don't know why Diffenbach was so lightly recruited, because he popped on film.

Reactions: RaleighPittFan

Meh....he may go there flame out and end up back here anyway. I'm not wishing that on him just being real about where college football is. No need getting in a bidding war over an unproven HS kid. It's always hit or miss. Plus I'm kinda interested to see what the Holstein kids got.

Reactions: singregardless
I think Dugger is going to end up being a steal for Pitt, in a couple of years. I get to see him work with his personal QB coach, as my son catches passes for him sometimes. He has a pretty strong arm and his accuracy is spot on. If that translates over to game speed, with his athleticism, he’s going to be dangerous.

Going to bookmark this for the future, since it seems like it can be used almost annually for Pitt football, a la the reports of gains under the new S&C Coach or seniors getting ultra focused on a big year.

Pitt was <Insert QB recruit name>’s first P5 offer last fall, but now everyone wants him and are throwing large NIL deals at him. You don't chase that. Go find someone else, which they apparently did.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT