ADVERTISEMENT

Does the ACC still have a tie-in with what used to be called the Outback Bowl in Tampa?

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Remember that deal where if the Big Ten sent a team to the Orange Bowl to play the ACC team, then the ACC would get the Big Ten's spot in that Tampa bowl, which was always played on NYD up until recently I think. I've tried to google this but with the CFP being expanded, did we lose that tie-in? I am thinking that we did since its not listed on the ACC website. Just trying to figure out bowl possibilities if we dont make the CFP. What's good for Pitt this year is that the southern bowls won't have many southern ACC teams to pick:

If Miami and Clemson go to the CFP, you'd have to figure the Gator and that Orlando Bowl that used to be called the Champs Sports or Russell Athletic Bowl (cant keep up with the name changes) would really have to go to Pitt, VT, or Lou with teams like ND, NC State, UNC, etc out of the mix. If the records are somewhat close, those bowls would take VT or Lou due to fan travel but we are 3 games up on those teams in the loss column currently. These bowls are free to take whoever so they can take a 6-6 team over an 11-1 team if they want but as long as we are 2 games clear of those teams, I think we probably get a bid. Trying to avoid NYC, El Paso, and Charlotte. I guess the Holiday Bowl would be cool but tough to get to.

It's now called the ReliaQuest Bowl and is a B1G vs SEC game, whatever deal with the ACC ended, plus that Orange Bowl clause to get the ACC in never happened. The Pop Tarts in Orlando and Gator in Jacksonville are the only post Xmas ACC Florida bowls, with the Holiday in San Diego being the only other desirable location bowl.

It's now called the ReliaQuest Bowl and is a B1G vs SEC game, whatever deal with the ACC ended, plus that Orange Bowl clause to get the ACC in never happened. The Pop Tarts in Orlando and Gator in Jacksonville are the only post Xmas ACC Florida bowls, with the Holiday in San Diego being the only other desirable location bowl.

That Orange Bowl/Big Ten/ACC clause DID get an ACC team in what uses to be called the Citrus Bowl. Louisville went one year and ND (who is an ACC team for bowl purposes) went. The deal then switched to the bowl that used to be called the Outback Bowl in Tampa and you may be right that it was never exercised but I think it was only for a year or 2.

So Gator or the other Orlando game are the 2 we have to hope for. Ok.

I wonder if the ACC can get the Alamo Bowl next go around since the Pac 12 is dead and we have SMU now. You'd figure in a 4 year window, the Alamo can probably get Notre Dame, SMU, and then maybe 2 other decent ACC teams to play against the Big 12.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT