ADVERTISEMENT

Don’t lose perspective

Dr. von Yinzer

Chancellor
Gold Member
Feb 4, 2010
Today’s loss was certainly disappointing on a number of fronts. We played very poorly and lost to a pretty mediocre team.

However, it was not remotely surprising to me or to anyone who has been paying the slightest bit of attention.

Don't freak out here. We’re not going to win the ACC Coastal division but we can still have a pretty nice season.

I was flummoxed all week by the insane level of overconfidence people had heading into this game. I knew those people were completely off their rockers.

People were talking about Miami losing its will to compete and talking about how Miami had given up on the season and all this other complete horseshit and it was just mind bogglingly naïve.

All of that nonsense was making me very very nervous about today’s game because I really do think it filters back to the players and they start to believe that BS because they’re 19 and 20-year-old kids who don’t know any better.

I knew this was going to be a close game until the very end. I had hoped that we would pull it out and I thought we had a good chance to do just that because we are a better team than they are. However, we made way too many mistakes and they ultimately bit us in the ass. It’s really no more complicated than that.

I was very disappointed with how conservative we got down the stretch. I thought we should’ve gone for it from the 1 yard-line. I understand the argument about needing to take the lead there but there were eight minutes left and in the worst-case scenario, Miami has the ball inside the own 1 yard-line. I would take those odds every day of the week.

You have to score touchdowns to win in today’s game – you just do. If you’re not going to score touchdowns you’re probably not going to win.

I was even more upset on third and six when we ran off tackle. That was a really bad decision by Narduzzi. You have to try to seize the game. You can’t kick a bunch of field goals and hope and pray that it’s enough. It’s 2019 and this is what happens to you when you play that way.

As for the passing game, Pickett had some pretty poor throws and the one interception was a killer. However, that kid competes and he gave us every opportunity in the world to win.

The continued drop after drop after drop after drop after drop are just killing us. We easily had seven or eight enormous dropped footballs today and they are game-changers.

Griffin-Stewart keeps dropping footballs that are hitting him right in the chest. That’s extraordinarily frustrating. He has to make those simple plays because in the past they’ve been the difference between blowouts and close games and today they may have been the difference between a win and a loss.

And he’s not alone.

Mathews had a big drop today and Mack dropped an easy catch down the sideline. I think Blades should’ve been called for interference there but Mack still needs to make that catch!

And I think Ffrench dropped what would have been a huge gain and maybe a game-winning touchdown. At the very least, I believe he would’ve gotten inside the Miami 40 yard—line with plenty of time to score the go-ahead touchdown.

I understand this is not revelatory and that these guys know this as well as anyone. However, this epidemic wasn’t limited to today. We’ve been dropping balls since the Virginia game and they are killing us. I’m not blaming the quarterback for those guys’ mistakes. I thought our quarterback was better than the receivers in the Virginia game and I know he was better than they were today.

I sincerely like Pitt’s receiving corps. I think they’re good kids and they try really hard. Also, they make plays. However, they also leave a lot of yards and points on the field through their inconsistency and that must change.

When I watch this offense at work, I actually really like it. I think it has a lot of potential. However, Tim Salem or whoever it is on staff desperately needs to bring in some tight ends into the program. It would be a massive improvement if we could just get two or three kids who can block and catch the football in our lineup. It doesn’t seem like our guys there can catch the football and it’s just killing us.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News