ADVERTISEMENT

Donate Tickets for the El Paso Military Community

Gunga_Galunga

Heisman Candidate
Jan 12, 2017
Got this email from the Athletic Department. To everyone not going, consider donating tickets for others in the El Paso military community. It's a great idea and nice thing for Pitt to get involved in.

We are looking forward to be making our third trip to a bowl game under Head Football Coach Pat Narduzzi. The New Year’s Eve matchup in the Hyundai Sun Bowl against Stanford will be an exciting one as our two historic programs clash for just the second time.

The opportunity to gather together with Pitt fans and participate in the festivities in El Paso will be memorable! We hope you will join us, as you have done all season, to create an energized gameday atmosphere as the 2018 ACC Coastal Champions look to complete this historic season on a high note with a victory over Stanford.

With the Hyundai Sun Bowl occurring on New Year’s Eve, we understand it may be a challenge for some to join us in El Paso. As an alternative, we would like to invite you to show your support for Pitt and bolster the west side of the Sun Bowl Stadium by purchasing tickets which will be distributed to members of the military in the El Paso area. For $25, you can provide a game ticket and a Pitt t-shirt for the deserving men and women of our Armed Forces to attend the game and be a part of Panther Nation.

To show your support for our Armed Forces and Pitt football, please click here to purchase a donated ticket for $25 and send a deserving member of our armed forces to the Hyundai Sun Bowl.

Happy New Year and Hail to Pitt!

Heather Lyke
Director of Athletics

Seems like a good idea. Made me think of another one though. How about buying tickets from Pitt and selling them on StubHub for a loss? You would recover some of your cost and Pitt gets credit for the ticket sale.

I thought the locals filled the stadium? Why not just return the unsold allotment and recoup the money?

I think you both have it right

It’s both a nice gesture- but also an effort to get Pitt fans to subsidize Pitt’s ticket allotment.
Of course it is. Money talks and the rest walks. The logic from 139 shows just how stuck in the past so many yinzers are.
Money is what it is all about...everywhere and anywhere at all times.
It's life after puberty...unless you're forever pubescent.

I was not aware I had to be on call to help people use their brain. You’re being used, perhaps with your consent, and I guess that’s ok. However, Pitt can’t pretend this is some noble gesture. They want you to buy tickets, so they get credit / financially off hook, and want you to think you did a great deed for security of country. Maybe everyone wins, but there’s a little too much PT Barnum in that position to make me comfortable applauding an organization watching out for its bottom line...while appealing to yours....almost like they take you for a sucker?

pitt-girl can take care of herself but you're an example of person who this great country doesn't need. You're baggage!

You'd be surprised ( maybe you wouldn't)what a gesture like this does for a military family or person. In many cases it's not the money it's the thought, or the action that gives them a boost.

When traveling in airports, restaurants, anywhere Mrs Buffett and I and I see military personnel in coffee shops restaurants or bars. If we can catch them prior to paying we pick up their tab, buy them a coffee, or something like that. You can see their faces light up.

Mrs Buffett had two Army Ranger brothers, Army brass dad, and an Army nurse mother and they recounted stories of people doing simple things for them that meant a lot. Back in the day giving a service person a ride home, or a ride to and from the bus stop or airport was enough to make the person's day!

When we see military personnel or law enforcement we always thank them for what they do.

We never wish people like you good luck. Actually it's the opposite.

Grow up!

Last edited:
What’s wrong with you? If you dont like the idea then don’t participate or better yet, get plane tickets, hotel room and game tickets and go to the game. What a sour ass.

Again, the point is it’s a self serving marketing ploy by Pitt. If you can’t see that, so be it. I’m sorry pointing out the obvious is so offensive to you. If there was not a military base near there, they would just insert some other sympathetic groups name (underprivileged kids etc) into that type email, all so you feel obligated to buy and save them money.

Why does that offend you, and to the point of wishing people you don’t know Ill will on the internet.

If you had the slightest reading comprehension skills you would realize nothing I said was anti military...in slightest... so spare me your cups of coffee stories, as they are not relevantto the point that Pitt is using military to their self serving advantage.

If they didn’t have to sell tickets or face financial penalties, and improve chances of getting picked by bowls, who are shady/fraudulent tourism fronts, do you think they’d care? If you do you are a sucker....

Keeping wishing others Ill will, it’s such a good look
Although I think I understand what you're saying, I totally disagree with the premise that this is either "sad" and/or "pathetic". Yes, they're trying to sell their allotment. There is nothing wrong with that. Donating it to whomever it may be - military, under privileged kids, whatever - is a bonus IMHO.

I really don't think you're going to find much sympathy for your argument here on a Pitt board. If supporting the Athletic Department means buying a $25 ticket which will be donated to a member of the military, so be it.

Again, the point is it’s a self serving marketing ploy by Pitt. If you can’t see that, so be it. I’m sorry pointing out the obvious is so offensive to you. If there was not a military base near there, they would just insert some other sympathetic groups name (underprivileged kids etc) into that type email, all so you feel obligated to buy and save them money.

Why does that offend you, and to the point of wishing people you don’t know Ill will on the internet.

If you had the slightest reading comprehension skills you would realize nothing I said was anti military...in slightest... so spare me your cups of coffee stories, as they are not relevantto the point that Pitt is using military to their self serving advantage.

If they didn’t have to sell tickets or face financial penalties, and improve chances of getting picked by bowls, who are shady/fraudulent tourism fronts, do you think they’d care? If you do you are a sucker....

Keeping wishing others Ill will, it’s such a good look
You use many words to say nothing. Never did I imply anything you wrote was anti military. Your mind came up with that.
You're just another sour human looking for the dark lining in any silver cloud. Yes, you're right. Were there not a nearby military base Pitt would find another outlet. And you would find another target for your perpetual pessimism. Breaking news 139...those eggs you had for breakfast have broken shells. Life ain't perfect, but some people motor on in spite of it.
What a loser attitude you have. It's people like you that give Pitt fans a bad name. Now go knock over a Salvation Army kettle.

Although I think I understand what you're saying, I totally disagree with the premise that this is either "sad" and/or "pathetic". Yes, they're trying to sell their allotment. There is nothing wrong with that. Donating it to whomever it may be - military, under privileged kids, whatever - is a bonus IMHO.

I really don't think you're going to find much sympathy for your argument here on a Pitt board. If supporting the Athletic Department means buying a $25 ticket which will be donated to a member of the military, so be it.

I would say he isnt trying to have a rationale argument and instead is trying to troll the university as somehow being cheap here. As you stated there is nothing wrong with asking in an email for pitt fans to donate tickets. It can help out both pitt getting rid of their allotment and also the local military. It really is a win win. And if 25 bucks is too steep, then the great thing is people can choose not to donate.

Rather sad and pathetic for Heather to try and imply buying meaningless bowl tickets in some way shows support for our Armed Forces.

I’ll take a knee on buying tickets for athletic dept.

Bravo. And here we have a perfect example of the typical geezer yinzer Pitt fan. Now go back to PittPov with the rest of the geezers and argue about how bad Pitt sucks and how the price of Depends at Walmart is outrageous.

I was not aware I had to be on call to help people use their brain. You’re being used, perhaps with your consent, and I guess that’s ok. However, Pitt can’t pretend this is some noble gesture. They want you to buy tickets, so they get credit / financially off hook, and want you to think you did a great deed for security of country. Maybe everyone wins, but there’s a little too much PT Barnum in that position to make me comfortable applauding an organization watching out for its bottom line...while appealing to yours....almost like they take you for a sucker?
It is $25. If you cannot afford the money, then that is fine. Maybe you should spend more time working at a job and less time bashing people on here that want to help. You act like they were asking for a lot of money. This isn’t 1918.

Rather sad and pathetic for Heather to try and imply buying meaningless bowl tickets in some way shows support for our Armed Forces.

I’ll take a knee on buying tickets for athletic dept.

You're a dolt, you really are. I initially thought just ignore the dolt, but you've double and tripled down on stupid in this thread.

The email says we know you aren't coming so help Pitt by purchasing tickets on our side and we will donate them to some military families who might show up. Maybe if we toss in a free shirt they'll cheer for our team. The first thing mentioned was supporting Pitt and selling tickets on the Pitt side.

Furthermore, I appreciate that Pitt will take care of making sure military families get the tickets. Dual benefit, help the athletic department and maybe make a military person happy.

This makes total sense if you're obtuse enough to ignore the first two thirds of the email. You know, the part that asks you to support Pitt. Don't support the cartel by watching on TV either, but then that won't cost your cheap a$$ anything.

I bet you never donate Girl Scout cookies to the soldiers either. Damn Nazi cookie sellers.... get off my lawn.

Imagine having to call people like this for donations. Jesus H. its 25 friggin dollars a ticket.

He is trolling and should be ignored. His viewpoints are so skewed they don't deserve anyone wasting anymore time with his nonsense. Hes a fool.

He is trolling and should be ignored. His viewpoints are so skewed they don't deserve anyone wasting anymore time with his nonsense. Hes a fool.
I'm not going to assume that, but I am really curious what happened to get him to the place of such anger and disdain.

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
pitt-girl can take care of herself but you're an example of person who this great country doesn't need. You're baggage!

You'd be surprised ( maybe you wouldn't)what a gesture like this does for a military family or person. In many cases it's not the money it's the thought, or the action that gives them a boost.

When traveling in airports, restaurants, anywhere Mrs Buffett and I and I see military personnel in coffee shops restaurants or bars. If we can catch them prior to paying we pick up their tab, buy them a coffee, or something like that. You can see their faces light up.

Mrs Buffett had two Army Ranger brothers, Army brass dad, and an Army nurse mother and they recounted stories of people doing simple things for them that meant a lot. Back in the day giving a service person a ride home, or a ride to and from the bus stop or airport was enough to make the person's day!

When we see military personnel or law enforcement we always thank them for what they do.

We never wish people like you good luck. Actually it's the opposite.

Grow up!
When I was at Pitt I would only give money to the homeless who were in town visiting the VA. They often didn't have the funds to get back home. Pathetic to be honest. But fighting wars for israel is of no benefit to me, you, or them.

A better investment would be giving to kids. This is the 'pat yourself on the back' investment.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT