ADVERTISEMENT

Donovan Johnson

Matt Steinbrink

Head Coach
Gold Member
Nov 6, 2002
Over the last week or so, there has been some momentum building in Pitt's favor with Donovan Johnson. The family knew this situation could be coming. Staying in 2020 and prepping somewhere is possible, but I just don't see that happening. Almost all of his offers are committable for 2019 as well. Given his age and ability, not sure why the family would choose to forfeit a year of income. You only have so many years to play for money. When you are that size and can shoot it like that, playing for money should be the end goal.

If it does happen with Pitt, I think it will be this year. One wildcard could be the draft tomorrow night. I have no idea if it is a factor or not, but I am just speculating myself here. Donovan has offers from all over the country. His older brother is going to go in the first round in less than 24 hours. The family is successful and smart. I have no idea what their plans are, but they could possibly want to move to the city where Cam goes. That could change things. Again, just speculating here. It could have zero impact. Let's see what happens tomorrow.

Donovan would not only be a great addition for the shooting element, but it would be a big boost for Capel and his staff right now as they head towards the 2020 class. Donovan is a great kid that is very intelligent and will develop quickly over time. You can't teach the length and touch. The rest of it will come together.

I am not ready to make any predictions or anything, but there is mutual interest from both sides. If he wants to go 2019, the option is there. We should have a better feel for this over the next week or so.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News