ADVERTISEMENT

Duke Thoughts

Matt Steinbrink

Head Coach
Gold Member
Nov 6, 2002
Some of you are not going to make it through the season. It is a long season, with a lot of games left. Pace it. Are they going to win out? Are they going to collapse again? No one knows. My guess is somewhere probably in the middle. I get it that they gave up another double digit lead last night in a winnable game, but they have also come back from double digit deficits. This staff needs to focus and preach the 1-0 mindset over and over again. Try to stack as many 1-0s as you can and just see how many you have at the end of the year. It is really that simple.

Duke is not a great team, but they are incredibly long. The difference was obviously on the glass. Fede is about the only player they had last night with a chance to compete on the glass. Thought Nike did a nice job, but that five spot is a black hole when Fede has to exit. Blake brings a lot of positives to the floor, but rebounding isn't one of them. As poorly as it went, Pitt probably wins the game if they just grab a few of those rebounds.

This team only knows one way. That is loose and free with wild shots. It is tough because it gives them confidence and leads. The issue is that they don't necessarily know how to close out teams either. They don't really have the run game to eat clock and finish teams. It is an experienced team, but they don't have the personnel to run clock and then enter the post for an easy one to end games. They just have to rely on outside shooting. From three and the midrange.

The offense in the second half was miserable, but not sure where they could go. Just a bunch of dribbling and then tough contested shots. Sometimes feeding the post can help to just see if a team may trap or turn their head once. Just something to change the pace.

Nelly is frustrating to me. Good player, but highs and lows within the same game. He can make some ridiculous shots, but then he so often loses the ball on simple drives. The one last night was killer. For being such an experienced player, it is just surprising how often he loses the ball on the dribble. Overall, he takes care of it at a decent rate, so I guess that is not that relevant.

Nike is playing so well right now. Thought he had more than 6 rebounds even. I think he is a better player than Greg, but not sure it really matters who starts.

Greg seems to be out of rhythm at the moment. Good shooter but can't say I have seen anyone else slide and land further from where they take off horizontally. He ends up sliding several feet forward at times. Really tough to make shots that way. In order for a conversion, your touch has to be unreal.

Blake is a big-time contributor, but I would once again advise for him to tone it down a bit. Again, I know emotion is part of it and it helps him. I also think it can take him out of his game. Early on, there is no reason to stare at the student section and yell. Not sure I understand the advantage there. He really struggled for the most part after that. He also seems to be leaving free throw attempts short at the end of games, possibly due to fatigue.

4-2 is more than fine. They are ahead of schedule. Definitely frustrating because that game was so winnable. But guess what - just about every game left is winnable as well. That is the ACC this season. My advice is to just relax and take each game as it comes. Even if you think they are going to collapse and struggle again, what good does it do to argue about now? These last four was the toughest stretch of the season probably. So let's just see what happens. Miami looks to be the best team at the moment, but this league is wide open.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News