ADVERTISEMENT

Duzz met expectations in 2022

May 6, 2017
FoOchd4aQAAbzXV

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
I though Tennessee had pretty high expectations going into this year but I guess winning that one game mattered more? I find it difficult to believe that ESPN had TCU in the championship so maybe they did a bit better than expected. Feel like NC State and Miami always have these "high expectations" and consistently underperform but maybe that's just my vantage point. Can't really say what the expectations were for the Nits but I guess they didn't blow any games they should win so that feels new.

I don’t believe Pitt exceeded or even met expectations, they were expected to repeat as acc finalists and champions, they didn’t do that, instead the lost to Georgia tech and Louisville and completely didn’t show up in second half against unc, that is nowhere near exceeding or meeting expectations, if anything, that was underachieving. And this happens year after year, and most of you on this board are happy about this because they finished strong, big deal, Pitt needs to learn how to win, not just sometimes, but all the time

Reactions: KennyHeisman8
I don’t believe Pitt exceeded or even met expectations, they were expected to repeat as acc finalists and champions, they didn’t do that, instead the lost to Georgia tech and Louisville and completely didn’t show up in second half against unc, that is nowhere near exceeding or meeting expectations, if anything, that was underachieving. And this happens year after year, and most of you on this board are happy about this because they finished strong, big deal, Pitt needs to learn how to win, not just sometimes, but all the time

They were expected to repeat as ACC finalist and champions

That is a FALSE narrative.

Only some Pitt fans and a few of those who cover Pitt locally had that expectation. On the national level, they were not expected to win their division.

Per the national media, they met expectations.

LOL. Third place in the Big Ten is "exceeding expectations".
LOL, especially when the two Big Ten teams in front of them were ranked in the top 5 AP final rankings and they ended up being ranked 7th. Can’t see how they exceeded expectations either.

They were expected to repeat as ACC finalist and champions

That is a FALSE narrative.

Only some Pitt fans and a few of those who cover Pitt locally had that expectation. On the national level, they were not expected to win their division.

Per the national media, they met expectations.
Some pitt fans? Really, everyone around here had those expectations, you think small, you need to think bigger. Progress not regress

Some pitt fans? Really, everyone around here had those expectations, you think small, you need to think bigger. Progress not regress
Let’s get back to basics… ESPN made the list. ESPN is part of the national media. In their opinion, Pitt met expectations. This is the common conclusion among most if not all the sports media outlets.

Are you with me so far?

The consensus among the national media was either Miami or North Carolina was predicted to win the coastal. This can easily be researched on Google to verify what I am saying…

Now just because you say they underachieved, doesn’t make it so. You are entitled to your opinion. But to say they were “expected” to win the coastal and play for the championship is not accurate.

You won’t be able to find two national writers who predicted Pitt to win the coastal….

I’ll add you to the sad sack brigade….

Last edited:
They were ranked 17 preseason in AP, finished 22.

Miami was ranked one spot ahead of them, and generally was considered the Coastal favorite.

ACC preseason poll similar, Miami was the favorite to win the Coastal.

The reality is we landed somewhere between Cap Pitt’s somewhat overzealous expectations and those of the significant number of posters here who are happy if Pitt is merely over .500.

Thus a significant number here are thrilled that we exceeded the .500 mark, while others who hoped Pitt could match 2021, given many of the players who were integral (not the most integral, but still integral) returned for 2022 and a 5 star transfer QB and multiple ballyhooed transfer receivers had been inked, were disappointed.

The .500 Crew can be cocky that they were closer to being right, but while it was wishful, based on the preseason status, it certainly was not ridiculous to think Pitt could have made another run like 2021. Which, while a great season for US, was hardly earth shattering in the global context of college football. Given our situation it wouldn’t have been crazy to see another 11 win season…after all, other programs of our ilk do accomplish that on more occasions than we have in 40 years. Perhaps we should dream a little bigger.

It turned out those transfers’ hype was largely overblown, which screwed the pooch for the higher expectations… but you can’t know that until the games are played.

Last edited:
The reality is we landed somewhere between Cap Pitt’s somewhat overzealous expectations and those of the significant number of posters here who are happy if Pitt is merely over .500.

Thus a significant number here are thrilled that we exceeded the .500 mark, while others who hoped Pitt could match 2021, given many of the players who were integral (not the most integral, but still integral) returned for 2022 and a 5 star transfer QB and multiple ballyhooed transfer receivers had been inked, were disappointed.

The .500 Crew can be cocky that they were closer to being right, but while it was wishful, based on the preseason status, it certainly was not ridiculous to think Pitt could have made another run like 2021. Which, while a great season for US, was hardly earth shattering in the global context of college football. Given our situation it wouldn’t have been crazy to see another 11 win season…after all, other programs of our ilk do accomplish that on more occasions than we have in 40 years. Perhaps we should dream a little bigger.

It turned out those transfers’ hype was largely overblown, which screwed the pooch for the higher expectations… but you can’t know that until the games are played.
What a joke. The games we lost were close except North Carolina. . We won our last five. It was a successful season. We beat UCLA in a bowl game. What else do you want. If you look at our body of work. We were top 15.

The only transfer over hyped was Slovis. He was a joke and I said it at the blue gd game last year

What a joke. The games we lost were close except North Carolina. . We won our last five. It was a successful season. We beat UCLA in a bowl game. What else do you want. If you look at our body of work. We were top 15.
I didn’t say there wasn’t success in the season. It was good. It was fine. It was salvaged from something that could have been awful.

I said it didn’t meet expectations to compete for a repeat of 21, which the advertised talent level in preseason absolutely justified. I mean, we’re not talking CFP, we’re talking another run at winning a weak division and conference. Hardly calling for Alabama or Georgia level.

Put a little caffeine in your coffee tomorrow.

Fans of a team live in a vacuum. They see everything in the best case scenario only. The true measure of expectations come from two sources, those who cover College Football and Las Vegas. They see the entire landscape without rose colored glasses.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion based on their expectations before the season.

That being said, in my opinion and the opinion of the national sources, Pitt met expectations.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT