ADVERTISEMENT

Duzzcoon

Oct 25, 2021
Getting pretty close to the time of year when we start sniffing around the dumpsters for next year's starting quarterback. Any names you'd be interested in kicking the tires on?

Seems like the one thing we haven't tried at the starting QB level is an accomplished guy from a smaller school. We've done the busted out at a better football school thing (Browne, Slovis, Peterman) and the horizontal thing (Jurkovec, Savage, Yellen), but I can't recall bringing in any accomplished G5 (or dare I say FCS?) guys to legitimately compete to the be starter (talking about more recently - not JUCO guys from back in the day). Maybe that'll be the way to go this time. Obviously we brought in Kyler from the Ivy League, but that was more of a depth thing.

Emmet Moorehead (lost his starting role at BC this season) is a guy we recruited. He was 115 for 192 (about 60%) for 1,254 yards, 10 touchdowns, and 6 interceptions last season. Lord have mercy if we bring in another backup from the scourge of the P5, but that feels like a possibility. Anybody else?

How-to-Keep-Raccoons-out-of-my-trash.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: clarks4life
Getting pretty close to the time of year when we start sniffing around the dumpsters for next year's starting quarterback. Any names you'd be interested in kicking the tires on?

Seems like the one thing we haven't tried at the starting QB level is an accomplished guy from a smaller school. We've done the busted out at a better football school thing (Browne, Slovis, Peterman) and the horizontal thing (Jurkovec, Savage, Yellen), but I can't recall bringing in any accomplished G5 (or dare I say FCS?) guys to legitimately compete to the be starter (talking about more recently - not JUCO guys from back in the day). Maybe that'll be the way to go this time. Obviously we brought in Kyler from the Ivy League, but that was more of a depth thing.

Emmet Moorehead (lost his starting role at BC this season) is a guy we recruited. He was 115 for 192 (about 60%) for 1,254 yards, 10 touchdowns, and 6 interceptions last season. Lord have mercy if we bring in another backup from the scourge of the P5, but that feels like a possibility. Anybody else?

How-to-Keep-Raccoons-out-of-my-trash.jpg
How about we recruit our own 4/5 star stud. I am sick of taking other teams players off a scrap heap. We need to grow our own stud. This is a game of diminishing returns doing the 5 star cast off thing each year. It’s getting old.

Reactions: pitt_87 and 303vND
How about we recruit our own 4/5 star stud. I am sick of taking other teams players off a scrap heap. We need to grow our own stud. This is a game of diminishing returns doing the 5 star cast off thing each year. It’s getting old.
Would be ideal but they’ve recruited some and landed none. Almost had one, but alas…

Reactions: HailToPitt725

I agree, but the coon is already in the can for this coming season. Had we landed Minchey last year it might be a different story.

The problem isn't transfer QB's. The problem is getting it right and having a good OC.

A majority of P5 programs are starting a transfer QB, including 6 of the top 10 teams.

So to simply put it:

Transfer QB = good
Bad retread OC = bad

Oh I definitely agree that an transfer QB in and of itself isn't the issue. But boy would I like to head into next season with someone who has looked the part already in the fold.

Reactions: OH Pete
Peterman and Savage where good for Pitt and both played in the NFL a little.

minchey already recruited over. maybe he's on the market again.

Wow, what a surprise. A Blue Blood recruits a better QB. I said at the time we can get Minchey again in a few years. I dont know why these guys waste their time riding the pine at the blue bloods.

Wow, what a surprise. A Blue Blood recruits a better QB. I said at the time we can get Minchey again in a few years. I dont know why these guys waste their time riding the pine at the blue bloods.
That's true, you're just as likely to get to the NFL from Pitt as anywhere else, in fact more likely, if you play a lot. look at Kenny, or Conner, Conner was a DE when he came out of high school, maybe at a bigger school he never plays RB, Kenny maybe isn't starting at all at a blue blood P5, at Pitt he got 5 years of playing time to develop into an NFL player.

They get a big check to commit there.

Party hearty for a couple years in a school where football players are considered gods.

For those whose team goes to the CFP, lots of bling and trim, even for the bench warmers, live it up some more.

Eventually it dawns on them that if they want any prayer of a pro career they better con a desperate boob like Duz at B level (or lower) program to take them on, usually with another nice NIL check.

In our case at least, also an ironclad promise to start and play every game regardless of performance or results.

Nice gig if you can get it

Jordan Baker from the TV Show All American is paused right now because of the writers strike. Perhaps we can recruit him and also get Spencer James, JJ, and Asher as OC.

All American Golden Angeles

Agreed, Peterman does not belong in this conversation, he was a competent quarterback and did well.

Oh I didn't mean to imply he and Savage were bad at all. But I can see how it came off that way, haha. I was just using them as examples of the types of transfers we've brought in. But they were also "old-fashioned" transfers, whereas the portal adds a new dynamic.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT