ADVERTISEMENT

ECL Championship Game

mike412

Head Coach
Gold Member
Jul 1, 2001
Santa Monica, CA
Anyone who saw it now realizes why it is so hard — and exasperating — to root against Real Madrid.

They were totally outplayed for the first 70 minutes. Dortmund completely shutdown their counterattack, which is by far where they are most dangerous, and gave them almost no chances. Dortmund hit a post, Courtois made 3 or 4 good saves for Madrid, and the Dortmund left wing missed on two great chances.

Then, Dortmuund botches a clearance on a Madrid corner and concedes another corner. Madrid scores off the corner and the match is effectively over. Dortmund has to get more offensive, the Madrid counter opens them up and they get a second goal.

More composed finishing by Dortmund’s left wing and it’s 2-0 at the half. If the shot that hit the post goes in, it’s 3-0 (although it might have been offside; it was very close). But, that is life against Real Madrid. Man City out chanced them in an earlier round something like 12-2 and lost on PKs. They beat PSG with two goals from a sub striker in the closing 8 minutes. Obviously, the Devil is much more involved with soccer than God is.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Anyone who saw it now realizes why it is so hard — and exasperating — to root against Real Madrid.

They were totally outplayed for the first 70 minutes. Dortmund completely shutdown their counterattack, which is by far where they are most dangerous, and gave them almost no chances. Dortmund hit a post, Courtois made 3 or 4 good saves for Madrid, and the Dortmund left wing missed on two great chances.

Then, Dortmuund botches a clearance on a Madrid corner and concedes another corner. Madrid scores off the corner and the match is effectively over. Dortmund has to get more offensive, the Madrid counter opens them up and they get a second goal.

More composed finishing by Dortmund’s left wing and it’s 2-0 at the half. If the shot that hit the post goes in, it’s 3-0 (although it might have been offside; it was very close). But, that is life against Real Madrid. Man City out chanced them in an earlier round something like 12-2 and lost on PKs. They beat PSG with two goals from a sub striker in the closing 8 minutes. Obviously, the Devil is much more involved with soccer than God is.
I only watched the first half because I went to the Kenny Chesney concert in town…but wow. Dortmund looked so good. That goal would have been ruled offside if he had scored. It looked pretty clear to me. But Courtois saved their asses that’s for sure. I found myself wondering why the Dortmund Manager isn’t being pursued by the big clubs? Chelsea filled their opening with no mention of him. Barcelona filled theirs. Munich filled theirs. Man United is looking to fill theirs.

He says it’s his dream job. Grew up a Dortmund fan. Lived there all his life. They said he almost got sacked this year but word is he kept his job because of the ECL run. Fifth place is their lowest finish in the Bundesliga for something like 35 years.

They lose so much talent every year too. Like Ajax and others they develop them so others can pay them big bucks. Bellingham the most recent.

He says it’s his dream job. Grew up a Dortmund fan. Lived there all his life. They said he almost got sacked this year but word is he kept his job because of the ECL run. Fifth place is their lowest finish in the Bundesliga for something like 35 years.

They lose so much talent every year too. Like Ajax and others they develop them so others can pay them big bucks. Bellingham the most recent.
Makes sense. Didn’t even realize they finished that low. I know a lot of American fans think he stinks for the mere fact that he couldn’t find minutes for Gio Reyna. But that’s just emotional talk of course.

Makes sense. Didn’t even realize they finished that low. I know a lot of American fans think he stinks for the mere fact that he couldn’t find minutes for Gio Reyna. But that’s just emotional talk of course.
He also epically blew winning the Bundesliga last year.

He seems well liked at Dortmund though

Reactions: Fk_Pitt and 121rum
I still think Dortmund should've been given a pen for the shove on adeyemi in the box, but the reffing overall was pretty even which isn't always true of madrid matches. I was watching at piper's in southside and when Fulkrug's goal was called offside this guy in full dortmund gear smashed his glass and stormed out, very entertaining.

• Haha
Reactions: Fk_Pitt and brdst11
I still think Dortmund should've been given a pen for the shove on adeyemi in the box, but the reffing overall was pretty even which isn't always true of madrid matches. I was watching at piper's in southside and when Fulkrug's goal was called offside this guy in full dortmund gear smashed his glass and stormed out, very entertaining.
How was it there? I was at the old bartenders new place in Lawrenceville a few weeks back. The Pitch on Butler? It’s pretty roomy and not overly crowded. Nice place. It’s overrun by Spurs supporters though.

How was it there? I was at the old bartenders new place in Lawrenceville a few weeks back. The Pitch on Butler? It’s pretty roomy and not overly crowded. Nice place. It’s overrun by Spurs supporters though.
I had good time, there was good amount of dortmund supporters and only a couple for Madrid. Me and friends became tight with the bartender and bouncer cause we were chatting with them the whole match. It didn't get too packed cause they shut off newcomers pretty early, a lot of people were turned away.

The Pitch is great and owned and run by good people. They have a decent sized spot and the outdoor area also has a TV. Haven't been back to Pipers since the Pitch opened but I've heard they're doing well too.

Our Celtic group watches at Cork Harbor and that place draws a decent crowd too. Plenty of places for soccer fans now.

The Pitch is great and owned and run by good people. They have a decent sized spot and the outdoor area also has a TV. Haven't been back to Pipers since the Pitch opened but I've heard they're doing well too.

Our Celtic group watches at Cork Harbor and that place draws a decent crowd too. Plenty of places for soccer fans now.
Cork Harbor is my new favorite bar in the city, but I've never been for a match

Cork Harbor is my new favorite bar in the city, but I've never been for a match
Cork doesn't get as much of an EPL crowd as the Pitch but they do draw some fans for those games. It's evidently the bar now for Arsenal to go along with Celtic and Bayern

Cork doesn't get as much of an EPL crowd as the Pitch but they do draw some fans for those games. It's evidently the bar now for Arsenal to go along with Celtic and Bayern
Arsenal, for real? Based on? Pipers was always a bit Spurs centric due to Tony (rip). Bulldog - obviously United. Just learning of The Pitch and Cork here....very interesting....

Arsenal, for real? Based on? Pipers was always a bit Spurs centric due to Tony (rip). Bulldog - obviously United. Just learning of The Pitch and Cork here....very interesting....

The Arsenal group posted that they're going to be at Cork going forward and put some stuff up at the bar. I don't know if that's the official Arsenal group or not.

Riley’s Pourhouse in Carnegie was Chelsea for a bit. They made all kinds of enhancements, have the huge outdoor seasonal seating, and then in time the Pittsburgh Blues supporters started dwindling. Not sure if it was service related or not. Now it’s a good place to watch Euros or Copa America games in a large open outside atmosphere.

The Arsenal group posted that they're going to be at Cork going forward and put some stuff up at the bar. I don't know if that's the official Arsenal group or not.
Thanks for this! My son and I had been lamenting the lack of a Pittsburgh Arsenal Supporters group, and then this thread leads me to Steel City Gooners. I don't think that they are a recognized group with access to ticket opportunities, but much better than nothing.

Reactions: brdst11 and Fk_Pitt
Thanks for this! My son and I had been lamenting the lack of a Pittsburgh Arsenal Supporters group, and then this thread leads me to Steel City Gooners. I don't think that they are a recognized group with access to ticket opportunities, but much better than nothing.
Maybe I'll see you there next year. I'm there almost every week

Reactions: Gunner Panther
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT