ADVERTISEMENT

Ellison to transfer

From the Cheap Seats; gave it all he had, but was recruited over by the Redmen, and just didn't have the offensive game that Pitt needed from him. Best wishes to him down the road. I now see a class of six for Pitt this years. Two more bigs and a shooting guard. But until it happens, we shall see.
I’ll admit to being glib

But harbor no ill will toward any of the players who left the last couple years.

It’s tough to lose that much .
Though do think we are on the upswing

I think it's pretty clear that I didn't think much of his game either, but I don't get how anyone could think he was a low IQ player.

I was probably his biggest critc on here, but I never thought he was
a low IQ player. I felt he had very little court awareness and had no
feel for the game. I also felt the instinctive part of his game was lacking,
but those difficiencies are not the same as a low basketball IQ.
There are plenty of people in this world with high IQ's who can't
succeed on a practical level for whatever reason (s).
Coming from a basketball family (as pointed out by another poster)
does not necessarily equate to a solid floor game. In other words,
having the knowledge of what's right, and doing what's right are two
different entities.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drew1208
I’ll admit to being glib

But harbor no ill will toward any of the players who left the last couple years.

I just find it hard to be anything but grateful to a guy who came here when few else would. He obviously showed leadership enough to be Captain. He played as hard and as well as he was able and then realized (or was told) he was overmatched. So he moved on.

It was indeed maddening to watch him at times. But he did play a bit better as the year went on and contributed a few plays in some wins.

He won't be missed as a player, but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate him.

I just find it hard to be anything but grateful to a guy who came here when few else would. He obviously showed leadership enough to be Captain. He played as hard and as well as he was able and then realized (or was told) he was overmatched. So he moved on.

I was indeed maddening to watch him at times. But he did play a bit better as the year went on and contributed a few plays in some wins.

He won't be missed as a player, but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate him.
As usual you said it better than me.

Like Al Swearingen says “ I’m stupidest when attempting to be funny “

I’ll admit to being glib

From the Cheap Seats; agree with you. The next three weeks should be interesting.

Reactions: Pitt5593
This could only mean that JC has enough confidence in signing players who will be able to help Pitt next yr and down the line that both Davis and Ellison are leaving . Ellison with only one yr left surprises me , but it could be he wants to experience starting at a lower level . Good luck to him .

different entities.
Or maybe he was just an overwhelmed 18 year old on a team full of them who was trying to punch way above his weight class in the toughest level of D1 basketball.

I don’t really care about him one way or the other but I feel compelled to rebut these posts about his lack of basketball savvy, floor game, awareness, etc. I mean, what the hell would anyone expect out of a true freshman player on a horrible, inexperienced team with a shit coach in the toughest league in college basketball? I don’t think anyone on any message board is qualified to evaluate the kid’s intangibles as a player based on that one year. Gimme a break.

Reactions: PhysicalOatmeal
As usual you said it better than me.

Like Al Swearingen says “ I’m stupidest when attempting to be funny “

I'll confess I had to look up Al Swearingen but then realized I never watched Deadwood.

different entities.

I think he was a pretty decent player actually. Just not especially quick which made it difficult for him on the defensive end. But he certainly knows how to play the game.

I have no ill toward Parker. Hope he does well, as do I hope for all of the players who transferred.

For some reason, I'll confess feeling a little bit bitter toward Ryan though.

Not gonna quote, but Parker? Ehh... typo and emotions maybe.

I loved the effort Ellison gave this past year, the guy had a motor and he played hard. He just wasn't good enough to he an ACC regular. Some plays he did great, but the majority he bumbled and he would be so mad about it, and I was right there with him because I knew his heart was in that moment. He wasn't like TB who would flake off a pass and just kinda be like, on I'll jog back to defense. Ellison really cared, and I can only guess Capel has some stuff in the Hooper our resident experts are 100% clueless about.

Best of luck to both Ellison and Davis, guys who gave the effort and did the program proud. I tip my hat to them both

Reactions: below0w
From the Cheap Seats; gave it all he had, but was recruited over by the Redmen, and just didn't have the offensive game that Pitt needed from him. Best wishes to him down the road. I now see a class of six for Pitt this years. Two more bigs and a shooting guard. But until it happens, we shall see.

We now have 4 to give. Class could well end up being 7, unless Sidy is coming back.

Pretty surprised to see Ellison moving on. Capel clearly means business and the writing was on the wall for some.

I think he was a pretty decent player actually. Just not especially quick which made it difficult for him on the defensive end. But he certainly knows how to play the game.

I have no ill toward Parker. Hope he does well, as do I hope for all of the players who transferred.

For some reason, I'll confess feeling a little bit bitter toward Ryan though.
I know it’s hard to believe , but Ryan and all the other players had KS back . I think Ryan’s transfer had everything to do with the coaching change . Ryan’s departure didn’t sink the ship like when Cam bailed .

I know it’s hard to believe , but Ryan and all the other players had KS back . I think Ryan’s transfer had everything to do with the coaching change . Ryan’s departure didn’t sink the ship like when Cam bailed .
I have heard and believe the same. Maybe it’s just a bit hard for me to understand why. I would have thought Ryan was a bit more loyal to the school. Probably not fair for me to judge in this way.

Kids like Ellison and Kham wouldn’t be leaving if JC told them he had major plans for them and I’m sure JC would have sold them on staying if he didn’t think he could upgrade the talent level

We shall see but IMO this is good news in the sense that it appears JC will be upgrading the roster and fielding a more competitive team next year

Ellison is a pretty good athlete but has one of the ugliest shots I’ve ever seen. He bought into JCs program and hustled so I wish him well

Reactions: DiehardPanther
I have heard and believe the same. Maybe it’s just a bit hard for me to understand why. I would have thought Ryan was a bit more loyal to the school. Probably not fair for me to judge in this way.
I never understood Ran leaving either. If he would have stayed, he would have been revered, IMO, for sticking with the program through all the turmoil. Now, he will forever be a Wildcat.

I'll confess I had to look up Al Swearingen but then realized I never watched Deadwood.
Never too late to fix that. The Deadwood movie is about to drop on HBO. I'd highly recommend you give it a look. The show was excellent, and Swearingen was the best of a great bunch of characters.

Is this a bad signal for the Capel lead new PITT program?

I would think Ellison would stay if things were looking up big time next year.

He knows Capel, his teammates, he's a know quantity at PITT, so something doesn't
look right unless he knows he'll be pushed to the bench and I doubt that!

"it's five o'clock somewhere"
Signed: Mr Buffett
GO PITT & CSU Rams!

He knows Capel, his teammates, he's a know quantity at PITT, so something doesn't

GO PITT & CSU Rams!

No, it’s about PT and/or Capel wanting to recruit over him.

GO PITT & CSU Rams!

I think it’s actually think it’s a good sign — better players incoming

Reactions: Drew1208
No, it’s about PT and/or Capel wanting to recruit over him.
If that's the case IMO Ellison departure has an upside.
If Capel can't replace the position with an upgrade it's a negative development.

We'll see!

Go PITT & CSU Rams!

I never understood Ran leaving either. If he would have stayed, he would have been revered, IMO, for sticking with the program through all the turmoil. Now, he will forever be a Wildcat.

Easy to understand —he wanted to play for a team that would likely play in the ncaa tourney.... he chose poorly though

These transfers are the result of typical exit interviews that happen at the end of every season in every basketball program. We even had them at my small catholic high school. Coach brings you in 1-on-1 and has an honest conversation about what you need to work on and what the coach envisions for your role next year. It sounds like Kham asked what Capel thought his role would be and Capel probably said something like "same as it is now unless you can radically become a more capable offensive player." So Kham decided to transfer to a place where he would get his wish to play more without a huge leap in game that he may not be capable of (or may not be capable of without playing significantly more minutes). A similar conversation happened with Ellis.

That Capel did not beg either of them to stay strongly indicates that he believes he can replace them or do even better, and immediately. I would expect both will be replaced by 2020 kids reclassifying and/or transfers. Capel probably has been speaking to targets since before the end of the season.

We all knew this was coming. Averaging 13 mpg (I can't believe it was that high) and 2.5 ppg in Kham's case is just not a way to stay on a team.

I'm slightly more surprised with Ellison's transfer since he put up better numbers despite playing out of position and because he was also a team captain. Nevertheless, his transfer is not a total shock.

These guys were both good kids and worked hard. I'm thankful for their time but these decisions were probably best for everyone.

If that's the case IMO Ellison departure has an upside.
If Capel can't replace the position with an upgrade it's a negative development.

We'll see!

Go PITT & CSU Rams!
Well in this day of positionless hoops Ellison's positionless talent has already been recruited over. Capel isn't necessarily replacing one for one when someone transfers. Champagnie and Drumgoole are upgrades offering more of the tools a player can bring to the floor.

Tell us about his lack of basketball IQ. I'd like to hear your expert evaluation of how the son of a head college coach lacks understanding of the game based on what you saw of him in his true freshman year at Pitt. Please be specific.
Still waiting for a reply......

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT