ADVERTISEMENT

Enfield to SMU… thoughts?

Boom or bust. Seems to have really good teams or poor teams.

Always seems to have a lot of talent too. Good recruiter.

Woulda preferred Wade. He'll be a top half ACC coach though so I'd expect SMU to be at that Pitt/Wake/Clem level soon.
I think that’s fair to put him at Pitt/Wake/Clem level. But he’s made the NCAA tour at a higher rate than these 3 coaches.

This year his team was bad. But the previous 4 years he finished 2 or 3 in the conference. Won 22 to 26 games a season and made 3 straight NCAA tour, prob a 4th if not for Covid year. Think it’s a good hire and this conference needs better coaches.

Does he just want a change or is he really motivated? If motivated and the deep pockets at SMU he can do well. Lots of talent in the Dallas area.

Last edited:
Boom or bust. Seems to have really good teams or poor teams.

Always seems to have a lot of talent too. Good recruiter.
You could throw a rock in any direction from campus and hit a future NBA player at USC, so I’m not sure how great of a recruiter he really is.

Recruiting now is just a function of money anyway. Seems like SMU is willing to go big in that area.

I remember the rumor Enfield was Pitt's to be had after Dixon left but Andy wanted the same salary that Jamie was making and Gallagher said "no."

Reactions: rockypanther
He can recruit($) and judging by his wife, subscribes to the James Franklin theory. But as a coach, he is not impressive.

jus wondering, is anyone ever a mediocre newly hired coach in your book?
Dru Joyce is one of the worst hires in many cycles. Damon Stoudmire last year. Richard Pitino if Louisville pulled the trigger.

Shocking so many ppl think it’s easy to win 21 games + at USC 7 of 11 years and go to a sweet 16 at FGCU given none of those things ever happened without Enfield

Pretty sure I correctly predicted the disaster that would follow with WVU’s interim head coach?

Shippensburg High School guy.
I played against him. Shut him down entirely. (I don't actually remember it much, but hey I'm going with that!) I can be certain that I would have fouled him. Really hard fouls too. That's really all I was good at.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT