ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN's ACC Blog has Pitt in the Sun Bowl (link)

I get a kick out of all the speculation and fuss made about where Pitt will go "bowling." That said, El Paso and the Sun Bowl do a nice job. The people are nice down there, stadium is easy with good views, several good restaurants, and decent hotels at reasonable prices and a CBS national telecast. Count me in...of course I will be there regardless of location. Hail to Pitt!

I get a kick out of all the speculation and fuss made about where Pitt will go "bowling." That said, El Paso and the Sun Bowl do a nice job. The people are nice down there, stadium is easy with good views, several good restaurants, and decent hotels at reasonable prices and a CBS national telecast. Count me in...of course I will be there regardless of location. Hail to Pitt!
I agree with the PittLaw post but why do these bowl predictions change daily or sometimes twice a day. I would think there'd be a prelim cut at this and once this weekend is over the final draft and bingo we're done. Or are the changes the result of schools negociating with the bowl organizers?

I agree with the PittLaw post but why do these bowl predictions change daily or sometimes twice a day. I would think there'd be a prelim cut at this and once this weekend is over the final draft and bingo we're done. Or are the changes the result of schools negociating with the bowl organizers?

There is no license or approval required for a media person to project anything. It is funny that when people see something in print that they take it as gospel. These articles are not different than any poster here voicing their opinion about where Pitt will go bowling. Kind of like bracketology in college basketball....just filler and fodder for readers. Sunday is not that long to wait to know where Pitt will play and who they will be playing. I'll book my plane and hotel then. Until then, enjoy the games that are yet to be played--as those outcomes will absolutely factor in to bowl selections. Hail to Pitt!

I agree on both counts. I enjoyed my Sun Bowl trip last time around...well except for the game! The locals were extremely nice and the food was awesome. It helps that my family loves Mexican food. BTW, White Sands New Mexico is a great side trip from El Paso. My kids enjoyed "sledding" down the sand dunes.

What is wrong with speculating on our bowl destination? This is a Pitt Football message board, and the only real news related to the program that we will have to discuss over the next couple months is

A. Recruiting
B. Our bowl

It's an entirely appropriate subject to discuss on a Pitt football message board. In fact, it is a more relevant discussion than just about any other topic concerning Pitt football at the moment.

I get a "kick" out of all the posts asking why we are talking about this. What, exactly, SHOULD we be talking about on a Pitt football message board?

Reactions: pitt-girl
I was thinking the same thing. This is now like 5 bowls we've been projected to go to. I just think it's ridiculous there are that many options for a single team. It should be pretty simple, 3rd place ACC vs. 3rd place Big Ten in Pinstripe or wherever. 6th team ACC vs. 6th team SEC in Music City or wherever. Instead we now have people who claim they know who each bowl will invite. No matter where we go, over half the sources predicting will be wrong.

What is wrong with speculating on our bowl destination? This is a Pitt Football message board, and the only real news related to the program that we will have to discuss over the next couple months is

A. Recruiting
B. Our bowl

It's an entirely appropriate subject to discuss on a Pitt football message board. In fact, it is a more relevant discussion than just about any other topic concerning Pitt football at the moment.

I get a "kick" out of all the posts asking why we are talking about this. What, exactly, SHOULD we be talking about on a Pitt football message board?

Relax buddy, was not being critical of the subject matter of your post--nor attempting to sensor you. Nothing wrong with idle chatter on speculative topics at all--so long as everyone knows that it is. Just don't take all the daily projections as the gospel truth and get excited/angry about it was all I was saying. Show me a source that has consistently projected the bowls right, year after year...and then maybe I'd put a little more thought into what that source had to say. The subject is relevant and fine...it is just some of the things being said about the subject that are silly--but as they say, everyone has one--have at it. Hail to Pitt!

I was thinking the same thing. This is now like 5 bowls we've been projected to go to. I just think it's ridiculous there are that many options for a single team. It should be pretty simple, 3rd place ACC vs. 3rd place Big Ten in Pinstripe or wherever. 6th team ACC vs. 6th team SEC in Music City or wherever. Instead we now have people who claim they know who each bowl will invite. No matter where we go, over half the sources predicting will be wrong.

Well the problem is that the bowls are not willing to do as you suggest, that is this bowl takes 1, the next takes 2, the next takes 3, etc. The bowls want matchups that will sell tickets, attract viewers, and bottom line--make them and their host city money. Consequently, where a team finishes in the league has very little to do with where the team will play their bowl game [other than the teams in the playoff]. The bowls have a pecking order of selection...and they will choose the team they think will maximize their ability to make money regardless of what place that team finished in the ACC. Consequently, I believe there have been articles posted here projecting that Pitt would play in nearly every bowl game the ACC has an affiliation with...which is why it is just so silly to get twisted about. Hail to Pitt!

Well the problem is that the bowls are not willing to do as you suggest, that is this bowl takes 1, the next takes 2, the next takes 3, etc. The bowls want matchups that will sell tickets, attract viewers, and bottom line--make them and their host city money.
I am fine with that. But then they don't even really do that. If that's the case then forget about these so-called "tiers." Pitt should be playing Wisconsin. End of story. 9-3 Wisconsin and 8-4 Pitt is even a good matchup to boot. But no, that would be dropping Wisconsin too low, but 6-6 Indiana is a potential opponent.

For a team that doesn't draw that well at home, Pitt seems to have decent showings on the road. But let's face it, they are not selling a ton of tickets to a non-NY6 bowl. And if they're playing Indiana, forget about them having fans showing up. I just think they're stuck in the middle of having opponents with similar standings and attractive matchups. They really need to just stick with one or the other, because Pitt vs. Indiana really would not be an attractive matchup at all or teams with similar standing. And I am actually hoping for the Pinstripe!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT