ADVERTISEMENT

Ex-Pitt Star Knight Interested In University's Athletic Director Job, LINK!

CaptainSidneyReilly

Chancellor
Dec 25, 2006

Billy Knight, who followed an All-American Pitt basketball career by spending 11 years as a player and 10 years as an executive in the ABA and NBA, said he has interest in returning to the university as its next athletic director.

"Sure, I do," said Knight from his Atlanta home. "Some people have talked to me about it, asked me if I had interest. I told them I have some interest."

Knight, who was born and raised in Braddock, declined to identify those who approached him, other than to label them "alumni and people around Pitt."

Through a spokesman, Chancellor Patrick Gallagher had no comment on Knight's interest in the position. No interviews have been conducted, the spokesman said.

If hired, Knight would become one of only a few black college athletic directors. A study released in July by the Institute for Diversity and Ethics in Sport at the University of Central Florida identified 12 black athletic directors among 125 FBS schools (9.6 percent) as of October 2013.

Knight, 62, is one of four Pitt basketball players to have his jersey (34) retired. During his senior season in 1973-74, he led the Panthers to a school-record 22 consecutive victories and their first Elite Eight appearance.

"My time was very rewarding at the University of Pittsburgh," Knight said.

Knight said he has not met Gallagher, who succeeded Mark Nordenberg as chancellor in August 2013.

He said he likes the direction of the athletic department but wouldn't comment on plans he might undertake as athletic director.

"It's not my position to say," he said. "The university is in a good position all the way around. I'm very happy and elated with the state of the university. I don't have any get-rich quick schemes for the university that is greater than anything they got."

Knight began his 11-year professional playing career in 1974 when he was selected in the first round of the ABA Draft by the Indiana Pacers.

After he retired as a player, he went to work for the Pacers in a variety of positions, including coaching, scouting, broadcasting and player personnel. He was the Pacers' senior vice president of basketball operations in 1998 and '99 before serving as general manager of the Vancouver/Memphis Grizzlies for two seasons and the Atlanta Hawks for six. Since resigning as Hawks GM in 2008, he has been working as a part-time NBA scout.

"I'm taking it easy," he said, "living off the fat of the land and getting fat and sassy."

He was in Pittsburgh last month when he was inducted into the Pittsburgh Basketball Club's Hall of Fame. He also attended the Pitt/Louisville game the next day when he was introduced to the crowd at Petersen Events Center.

During the Hall of Fame banquet, he said he is working on returning to Pittsbugh, which would bring his life "full circle."

Former Pitt teammate Kirk Bruce, now an associate athletic director at the school, said Knight's "personality just jumps right out at you."

"He gets along with just about everybody. He has managed a lot of people in his NBA positions," Bruce said. "He knows people and he knows how to read people and people get a good vibe from him."

Jerry DiPaola is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at @JDiPaola_Trib.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/college/pitt/7757990-74/knight-pitt-athletic#ixzz3RVSRvJdA

images

He's a childhood acquaintance of a significant potential donor I know who's never donated to the athletic department. Has a reputation as a gracious man with natural charisma. A little different than we're used to LOL

Re: Bio On Pitt's Billy Knight, LINK!

William R. "Billy" Knight (born June 9, 1952) is an American former professional basketball player who most recently served as the Executive Vice President and General Manager of the National Basketball Association's Atlanta Hawks from 2003-08.

Early Life And College:
Knight was born and raised in Braddock, Pennsylvania, a suburb of Pittsburgh, where he attended General Braddock High School- Member of the 1970 Section High School Basketball Champions - General Braddock Falcons

University Of Pittsburgh:
A 6'6" guard/forward, he then attended the University of Pittsburgh (Pitt), where he starred, and along with Mickey Martin and Kirk Bruce, Knight led the Panthers to the East Regional Finals in the 1974 NCAA Men's Division I Basketball Tournament, where they lost to eventual NCAA Champion |North Carolina State], in a matchup between Knight and NCSU's David Thompson. The game was played in Raleigh, NC. NCSU went on to defeat UCLA & Marquette for the National title in Greensboro, NC.

Knight's performance during the 1973-1974 season, in which Pitt went 25-4 and won a school record, 22 games in a row, earned him 2nd team All-American team status. He is considered one of Pitt's best players ever and was voted to Pitt's all-time starting five. Knight had his number 34 jersey retired by the University of Pittsburgh on February 20, 1989.

Professional Career:
Knight spent eleven seasons, from 1974-85, in the ABA and NBA as a member of the Indiana Pacers, Buffalo Braves, Boston Celtics, Kansas City Kings, and San Antonio Spurs. He scored 13,901 points in his ABA/NBA career and appeared in two All-Star games.

Knight's best years were with the Indiana Pacers, after being selected by both the Pacers and the LA Lakers in the player draft. Knight was voted 1st team ABA All-Star for the 1975-1976 season, his second year in the league after averaging 28.1 ppg. This was the last year of the ABA before the Indiana Pacers merged into the NBA. The following year Knight maintained All-Star status, this time in the NBA after averaging 26.6 ppg. After a brief stint with the Buffalo Braves & Boston Celtics, Knight returned to the Pacers in 1978, where he continued his career with them until 1983.

Knight is the Indiana Pacers 3rd all-time leading scorer and is in several other Top 5 all-time categories for the Pacers. Prior to joining the Hawks organization in 2002, Knight worked as a front office executive with the Pacers and the Vancouver/Memphis Grizzlies. On May 7, 2008, Knight stepped down as Hawks GM. When announcing his resignation from the team he stated that he had left the Hawks "in much better shape than it was in when I took over."

Billy Knight

330px-BKnightPitt74NCAA_Owlp165.jpg

Billy Knight goes for a rebound in the 1974 Elite Eight during his college playing days at Pittsburgh

No. 25, 35 Shooting guard / Small forward

Born
June 9, 1952 (age 62)
Braddock, Pennsylvania
6 ft 6 in (1.98 m)
195 lb (88 kg)

High School Braddock (Braddock, Pennsylvania)

College
Pittsburgh (1971-1974)
Consensus second-team All-American (1974)
No. 34 retired by the University of Pittsburgh
NBA Draft
1974 / Round: 2 / Pick: 21st overall
Selected by the Los Angeles Lakers

Pro Career:
1974-1985
1974-1977
Indiana Pacers (ABA and NBA)
1977-1978
Buffalo Braves
1978-1979
Boston Celtics
1979-1983
Indiana Pacers
1983-1984
Kansas City Kings
1984-1985
San Antonio Spurs
1985-1986
CSP Limoges (France)

Career Highlights and Awards
ABA All-Star (1976)
NBA All-Star (1977)
All-ABA First Team (1976)
ABA All-Rookie First Team (1975)
Consensus second-team All-American (1974)
No. 34 retired by the University of Pittsburgh

Career ABA and NBA Statistics
Rebounds:
4,377 (5.3 rpg)
Assists: 1,862 (2.3 apg)

Stats at Basketball-Reference.com

SOURCE LINK:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Knight

images

This post was edited on 2/12 2:40 AM by CaptainSidneyReilly

He has been basically retired for 6 years and admits he has generally been taking it easy during that time. We need someone younger with more energy and drive. Hiring a retired former player with no athletic administrative or fund raising experience is a formula for cotinued mediocrity.

He was in the front office for 3 NBA teams and was the Atlanta Hawks GM for 6 years. He is 65ish and looks to be in great health. I said a few weeks ago that he would make a good AD and still do.

No "athletic administrative" experience? Seriously? He was the GM for two NBA teams.
Originally posted by Hailpitt:
He has been basically retired for 6 years and admits he has generally been taking it easy during that time. We need someone younger with more energy and drive. Hiring a retired former player with no athletic administrative or fund raising experience is a formula for cotinued mediocrity.

This is a tough one

I like Billy Knight and would love to get him involved somehow with Pitt. But I don't think he is the right man for this job. Running an NBA franchise is impressive, but it is not the same as a college athletic department and I'm not sure the skills and knowledge that he has will directly translate. In addition, I'd rather this job not be an end of career coda for someone. I want someone who wants to make it his/her life's work.

Football first gentlemen

Billy Knight is a great choice. Sam Clancy is big with the Pitt Club. It's time for a Football First AD.

Re: This is a tough one

Agree across the board. The days of just i.e. hiring the old football coach to run the athletic dept. are long gone. This job takes some highly specialized knowledge and skills.

It doesn't seem he is considered a candidate by the people who really matter, so probably a moot point anyway.

He certainly is a great name in Pitt athletics, and has a wealth of experience which may or may not translate to the AD job. However, semi-reitired, getting "fat and sassy", is not what we are looking for here. I think it would be great to get him involved in some capacity, just not as AD. I'll bet he would be a seriously good fundraiser if he came onto the AD staff in that capacity.

We had that from 1996-2014. How'd that work for us??

What we really need is a real estate tycoon.

Originally posted by OH Pete:
I like Billy Knight and would love to get him involved somehow with Pitt. But I don't think he is the right man for this job. Running an NBA franchise is impressive, but it is not the same as a college athletic department and I'm not sure the skills and knowledge that he has will directly translate. In addition, I'd rather this job not be an end of career coda for someone. I want someone who wants to make it his/her life's work.
I think you nailed it. With all due respect for Billy Knight, who has always represented Pitt well, I think they might be looking for someone more dynamic and with more energy (dare I use the word "younger"?) and with actual collegiate AD experience.

I'll go back to what I've said before: choose someone from one of three categories:

(1) Blatantly poach an AD from a big school who already has a proven track record.

(2) Hire an AD with a proven track record from a smaller (MAC, etc) conference who'd make the move because of more $$$.

(3) Hire an assistant AD from a big school who would make the move because their career ladder is blocked by someone who's entrenched in the AD job.

An NBA Executive with a Football background could be a what Pitt needs but

Billy might not be the best choice with his age. I have always thought that Pitt fans love a show to go with the product and that is kind of what the NBA is for the experience at the game.

Every single Pitt game is meant to be played under the lights, with the bass kickin in the speakers. It's what Pitt fans like and what happens at the Pete.

Don't even say "just win". We all understand this is the answer.

NBA guys understand the show and there are a lot of Execs and Marketing types that get this, have a background in football but ended up in Basketball.

Heinz Field can be a great show and a Basketball mind could be the answer but I doubt it's Billy.

Originally posted by CaptainSidneyReilly:

Billy Knight, who followed an All-American Pitt basketball career by spending 11 years as a player and 10 years as an executive in the ABA and NBA, said he has interest in returning to the university as its next athletic director.

"Sure, I do," said Knight from his Atlanta home. "Some people have talked to me about it, asked me if I had interest. I told them I have some interest."

Knight, who was born and raised in Braddock, declined to identify those who approached him, other than to label them "alumni and people around Pitt."

Through a spokesman, Chancellor Patrick Gallagher had no comment on Knight's interest in the position. No interviews have been conducted, the spokesman said.

If hired, Knight would become one of only a few black college athletic directors. A study released in July by the Institute for Diversity and Ethics in Sport at the University of Central Florida identified 12 black athletic directors among 125 FBS schools (9.6 percent) as of October 2013.

Knight, 62, is one of four Pitt basketball players to have his jersey (34) retired. During his senior season in 1973-74, he led the Panthers to a school-record 22 consecutive victories and their first Elite Eight appearance.

"My time was very rewarding at the University of Pittsburgh," Knight said.

Knight said he has not met Gallagher, who succeeded Mark Nordenberg as chancellor in August 2013.

He said he likes the direction of the athletic department but wouldn't comment on plans he might undertake as athletic director.

"It's not my position to say," he said. "The university is in a good position all the way around. I'm very happy and elated with the state of the university. I don't have any get-rich quick schemes for the university that is greater than anything they got."

Knight began his 11-year professional playing career in 1974 when he was selected in the first round of the ABA Draft by the Indiana Pacers.

After he retired as a player, he went to work for the Pacers in a variety of positions, including coaching, scouting, broadcasting and player personnel. He was the Pacers' senior vice president of basketball operations in 1998 and '99 before serving as general manager of the Vancouver/Memphis Grizzlies for two seasons and the Atlanta Hawks for six. Since resigning as Hawks GM in 2008, he has been working as a part-time NBA scout.

"I'm taking it easy," he said, "living off the fat of the land and getting fat and sassy."

He was in Pittsburgh last month when he was inducted into the Pittsburgh Basketball Club's Hall of Fame. He also attended the Pitt/Louisville game the next day when he was introduced to the crowd at Petersen Events Center.

During the Hall of Fame banquet, he said he is working on returning to Pittsbugh, which would bring his life "full circle."

Former Pitt teammate Kirk Bruce, now an associate athletic director at the school, said Knight's "personality just jumps right out at you."

"He gets along with just about everybody. He has managed a lot of people in his NBA positions," Bruce said. "He knows people and he knows how to read people and people get a good vibe from him."

Jerry DiPaola is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at @JDiPaola_Trib.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/college/pitt/7757990-74/knight-pitt-athletic#ixzz3RVSRvJdA

images
Not a fan, necessarily. I want a salesman, not an administrator.

He was our best BB player, ever.....BUT...

How well did he do as a GM in the NBA?? Not exactly a world-beater. Great guy, always classy, loves Pitt. Not enough experience....40 years away from college athletics.

Re: He was our best BB player, ever.....BUT...

The Knight possibility needs to be put in perspective. Word is that many current ADs are interested in the job. It depends who they are, and where they are from. If we knew who the other real candidates were, we could better assess how good of a candidate Knight is.

Great idea. We poached Arkansas' OC. Can we steal their AD back?

Billy around the program more is good for sure.
Not sure as the AD at this point though.

I do not know Billy Knight, but am generally familiar with his background. While he may have the sports administrative background that could be useful to be an AD, I hope Pitt does not seriously consider him as a candidate. Beyond the fact that he is in his sixties and starting to slow down in life--I do not think he has the fundraising background necessary for this job [in addition to NO college atheltic administrative experience]. Pitt does not need to hire a guy/gal that is going to learn on the job...we need someone that can step in immediately and take the reigns and knows how to lead an athletic department. Pitt needs a guy/gal that is young and hungry and wants to work hard. Not sure if the quote is accurate, but anyone that says; "I'm taking it easy," he said, "living off the fat of the land and getting fat and sassy." --would not be the kind of person I'd want to hire for Pitt's next atheltic director. Hail to Pitt!

GM's of pro sports teams are familiar with dealing w/rich people since the owners are rich people and in most cases prima donnas.

Rich people donate money…..well you get my point

Disagree with you. We need an AD that is going to make all PITT ATHLETICS FIRST! There is no reason to favor one program over the other...as it would be a sure fire way to not succeed. Trust me...I want to see Pitt football win in the worst way...but following your strategy would not be the way to get there! Hail to Pitt!

there were rumors weeks ago that he was a candidate. But I thought the latest rumor was that he is merely on the committee and that only current AD's and assistant AD's are being considered.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by fkthomas:
there were rumors weeks ago that he was a candidate. But I thought the latest rumor was that he is merely on the committee and that only current AD's and assistant AD's are being considered.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Works for me. Having Billy involved with Pitt athletics is a good thing.

Re: Football first gentlemen

Originally posted by Jud The Bus Driver:

Billy Knight is a great choice. Sam Clancy is big with the Pitt Club. It's time for a Football First AD.
you just mentioned two former basketball greats at Pitt in the same statement as "its time for football first"......

Re: Reply

Football makes or breaks your whole athletic budget. Men's basketball is a distant second. The rest of the sports, while important in their own way, all operate at a significant cost to the university. So at any university football should be the top priority, and at Pitt, basketball should be a close second--but always second.

If Pitt could start winning in football, getting asses in the seats, and going to real bowl games, the $$$ will flow in like nobody has seen it in many moons.

In performance, yes.... but SP and Jeff Long were 100% FB guys.

And we've been mediocre since.

Re: In performance, yes.... but SP and Jeff Long were 100% FB guys.

Originally posted by NTOP:
And we've been mediocre since.
The common thread between the two of course....is their boss.

Re: There Is A Place For Knight In Pitt Athletics.......

...........to join in and become a nucleus of smart Alumni that know how to contribute to rebuilding, stabilizing, and maintaining Pitt Athletics.

In this Brave New Era of College Athletics Marketing, Sponsorships, Branding, clearly Billy Knight has developed experience and professional relationships over the years, no matter if he is considered by the Selection Committee for AD.

The Selection Committee should ask for his input and make him an Insider For Pitt Sports. More importantly, the Chancellor and New Athletic Director should embrace and welcome Billy Knights advice, participation, and consider hiring him if they can all reach an accommodation, mission to advance Pitt Sports.

Pitt has taught many Alumni, Coaches, Players, and Students on how to grow people in many organizations, corporations and sports entertainment. Billy has been one of the best of Pittsburgh Native Sons doing it and nothing wrong with inviting to bring his wisdom back home, in his very best and wisest years, even if not as AD!

The way I see it, if the Best of Pitt's Past comes back to help Pitt's Future, it shows Chancellor Gallagher's Vision for Pitt Athletics is proof Pitt is on the right path to make that vision happen and says Pitt Is It!

B7SGOlZCEAADeYa.png:large

This post was edited on 2/12 2:13 PM by CaptainSidneyReilly

Thanks for stating the obvious. However, saying and acting like you are football first will alienate and turn many fans off. It is not the way to do things. Of course if football starts winning--all boats will rise. Basketball is also a very important component to the financial picture at Pitt. There is no reason why leadership cannot lead in a way that helps all sports, including Olympic too. Hail to Pitt!

I did not say otherwise. However, the heavy handed approach that you endorse has already proven a failure at Pitt. We need someone that is capable of quite a bit more--and is far more gifted in public speaking. Making the other sports at Pitt "second class" will not advance football or athletics overall at Pitt. Hail to Pitt!

Re: Reply

No one on this board has ever heard of this guy......but this is the kind of leadership we need at Pitt.

All of the big names that are bantered about....Billy Knight....Dave Wannstedt......would report to an AD like this guy.

In fact....I would reach out to him for advice.....recomendations....perhaps even a few names.

This post was edited on 2/12 2:34 PM by Las Panteras

Rob Mullens

So you are saying Jeff Long isn't a good AD? Wonder why he was chosen to head the new playoff committee. Is it possible he may have been a little handcuffed when he was here? Naaaahhh! All the bitching about our adminisrartion not giving a you know what was just bogus bitching all those years.

NO THANKS!! Billy Knight completely screwed the Hawks

He drafted Marvin Williams over Chris Paul, Deron Williams, and a ton of other guys. He drafted Shelden Williams with the 5th pick another draft. He drafted Josh Childress over a host of better players. He ran us into the ground and he would certainly do the same with Pitt. NO THANKS!!!!! Billy Knightmare

No experience in an academic setting.

No experience in college athletics administration.

No experience with NCAA rules and regulations.

No experience in college athletics coaching or recruiting in any sport.

No experience in fundraising.

No experience in football coaching or football administration at any level.

No network of contacts within college athletics.

Qualifications: Well-liked Pitt guy.

Originally posted by CrazyPaco:

is he really that well liked by pitt fans?? Has any Pitt fan under 45 heard his name before this week??

Originally posted by Pghfan:

Originally posted by CrazyPaco:

is he really that well liked by pitt fans?? Has any Pitt fan under 45 heard his name before this week??
Any Pitt basketball fan, no matter how old they are, should know the name or at least heard of probably the best basketball player in Pitt history.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT