ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Update Exciting weekend ahead/lots of coverage to look forward to

RyanDonnelly

Heisman Candidate
Staff
Apr 13, 2014
Columbus, Ohio
I know it's been a little bit quiet on the recruiting front throughout nearly all of fall camp until Marquis Williams' commitment, but things are going to be picking up in a major way here with the start of the high school football season and a few other events.

On Thursday, you guys have the announcement of Pittsburgh (Pa.) Central Catholic defensive tackle David Green to look forward to. I spoke with David today and he's still all locked in to announce a decision on the 24th prior to the start of his season.

That same day, I'll be covering my first high school football game of the season, right here in Ohio. I'm still debating on which game to attend, but I'll be seeing one of two intriguing match-ups. Reynoldsburg and early 2019 Pitt ATH/WR offer Mershawn Rice take on New Albany in a road game here in Columbus. In Toledo, powerhouse programs Detroit Cass Tech and Pickerington Central are meeting in the middle for what should be an unbelievable showcase of talent, just not as much Pitt-centric coverage available.

On Friday night, I'll be attending one of two games in the Keystone State. Pittsburgh Central Catholic, led by David Green, will take on a formidable private school foe in Erie Cathedral Prep. Cathedral is led by Notre Dame LB commit Matt Bauer and Penn State OG/C commit Juice Scruggs. The Scruggs/Green match-up should be an exciting one for fans of line play. Two undersized, quick, scrappy kids. Meanwhile, Aliquippa (without star player Kwantel Raines) will take on New Castle and Ohio State commit Marcus Hooker in another high-profile match-up.

Saturday's slate looks a little bit lean, but it looks like Penn Hills and Plum play that night. I might check it out and see what the young guns at Penn Hills are up to, but it could be slim pickings and I may spend the time with family/friends.

Sunday features a nationally televised match-up between Huber Heights Wayne (from the Dayton, Ohio area) and Pine Richland. Wayne is led by super-star five-star wide receiver L'Christian "Blue" Smith, who will commit to Ohio State on Sunday, and former Pitt target/Kentucky defensive end commit Alex Reigelsperger. The Warriors are a little down this year, but Jay Mitton's squad is always ultra-competitive. Pine Richland is led by four-star Notre Dame QB commit Phil Jurkovec, intriguing three-star cornerback Kenny White, 2019 Pitt offensive tackle offer Andrew Kristofic, and a number of other impressive prospects.

I hope to attend three to four games this weekend if it all works out well, while also bringing you guys complete coverage of Green's announcement and more.

Good to be back in the season my friends.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News