ADVERTISEMENT

Expanded playoff coming in 2024

Slick Manager of Champs

Heisman Candidate
Apr 22, 2007
Should be interesting. We would have been in last year, that would have been fun. Unfortunately I think the nits will have a better chance now with one of the 6 at large spots. Easy OOC and B1G schedule guarantees them a top 10 ranking even with the annual OSU & Michigan beat downs, as witnessed this year.

Should be interesting. We would have been in last year, that would have been fun. Unfortunately I think the nits will have a better chance now with one of the 6 at large spots. Easy OOC and B1G schedule guarantees them a top 10 ranking even with the annual OSU & Michigan beat downs, as witnessed this year.

Yup - schools like them will benefit the most.

It expands theoretical access for schools like Pitt which is huge. But the Pirates also have theoretical access. It’s mostly gonna be the same group involved only now more can slobber over themselves from 5-12. And will only get worse with more expansion/consolidation.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Guess they finally found someone who wants to dump a ton of money into it. All I know is that G5 schools better start charging huge money to be a gimme game because the B1G and SEC are going to load up on them. There won't be a terribly good reason to play anyone with a pulse, OOC.

Guess they finally found someone who wants to dump a ton of money into it. All I know is that G5 schools better start charging huge money to be a gimme game because the B1G and SEC are going to load up on them. There won't be a terribly good reason to play anyone with a pulse, OOC.

yep, exactly. The PSU model. Plus a conference schedule that after OSU & Michigan is less than daunting and you have a blueprint for making the playoffs annually.

Unfortunately I think the nits will have a better chance now with one of the 6 at large spots. Easy OOC and B1G schedule guarantees them a top 10 ranking even with the annual OSU & Michigan beat downs, as witnessed this year.

So become like them, make SUPER EASY, guaranteed 4-0 OOC schedules to bloat our record.

I don't know if that's much different from now. If anything, I think you might be able to schedule more P5 opponents if you're a top 10ish team, because a loss isn't as damning.

So become like them, make SUPER EASY, guaranteed 4-0 OOC schedules to bloat our record.

In the ACC that isn’t going to help. If the conference remains like this, only chance to get in if a team doesn’t win the conference, is to have big time OOC wins.

In the ACC that isn’t going to help. If the conference remains like this, only chance to get in if a team doesn’t win the conference, is to have big time OOC wins.
That doesn't make sense at all. It's more about not having the terrible losses than it is "good wins". There are plenty of schools in the top 25 that fit that model and the ACC has had its share.

I know they have contracts for a few more years, but once we are beyond 2025 I hope they aren’t playing playoff games at neutral bowl game locations. Playoffs on campus until the title game.

why would Pitt as ACC champ be a 12 seed?

Top 4 conference winners get the byes. So Alabama, Michigan, Baylor or OK State (I always forget who won that game), and then Utah I believe were the top 4. So Georgia, even though they were the best team, would have technically been #5. And we were 12.

It's just something so ass backwards that it could only happen to Pitt (even when it didn't happen).

I know they have contracts for a few more years, but once we are beyond 2025 I hope they aren’t playing playoff games at neutral bowl game locations. Playoffs on campus until the title game.
That's what they should do, how many fans would travel 3 straight weeks to some other city for this?

Reactions: Burgh15
Top 4 conference winners get the byes. So Alabama, Michigan, Baylor or OK State (I always forget who won that game), and then Utah I believe were the top 4. So Georgia, even though they were the best team, would have technically been #5. And we were 12.

It's just something so ass backwards that it could only happen to Pitt (even when it didn't happen).
That's why college football is weird? Georgia at that moment is coming off of a LOSS in their conference championship, but should be considered the BEST team? They should reward the conference champs with the top 6 seeds, you should get a better position from WINNING A GAME alone. And if Georgia is so BEST, then why do they need WELFARE like being propped up with a higher seed, make them 12th seed as punishment for LOSING. College football is so stupid, typical scenario is that we say Georgia is the BEST TEAM, so if they lose, they get a free pass to a second chance. while 125 of the 130 teams have to be 110% perfect, and even then, it's just maybe.

Utah was 10-3 after the PAC-12 championship, we were 11-2, can't remember the rankings but not sure that they were higher. Plus they also had a loss to a G5 team (although a pretty good one).

I know it really doesn't matter and just discussion but I don't think they would have gotten the bye over Pitt

Utah was 10-3 after the PAC-12 championship, we were 11-2, can't remember the rankings but not sure that they were higher. Plus they also had a loss to a G5 team (although a pretty good one).

I know it really doesn't matter and just discussion but I don't think they would have gotten the bye over Pitt

https://collegefootballplayoff.com/rankings.aspx

So it actually would have been:

1) Bama
2) Michigan
3) Cincy
4) Baylor

but still #5 Georgia vs #12 Pitt.

That's why college football is weird? Georgia at that moment is coming off of a LOSS in their conference championship, but should be considered the BEST team? They should reward the conference champs with the top 6 seeds, you should get a better position from WINNING A GAME alone. And if Georgia is so BEST, then why do they need WELFARE like being propped up with a higher seed, make them 12th seed as punishment for LOSING. College football is so stupid, typical scenario is that we say Georgia is the BEST TEAM, so if they lose, they get a free pass to a second chance. while 125 of the 130 teams have to be 110% perfect, and even then, it's just maybe.

Well for one, Georgia didn't give a damn if it won or lost the SEC Championship. They were in either way. It was Alabama who needed it, which is why they went from being 17 points better to 15 points worse when the two teams met twice in a little over a month.

I think they already agreed in the new model once they expand, the first round games will be played at the higher seed campus/stadium (schools like Cincy could play at Paul Brown stadium, etc), and then the quarter, semis, and finals will be at bowl sites.

This has been in the works for a few months now, before Alabama, OSU and Clemson were on the outside looking in. It's all about money, plain and simple.
I get it, it's about money. But do most of you like and want to see the same teams, Bama, Georgia, tOSU, Clemson etc. over and over and over? I guess the average person must want that. But to me, it's such a turnoff I quit caring about this playoff years ago. Do most of you have less interest if the usual suspects aren't there? I mean I'm MORE INTERESTED if they are left out.

I get it, it's about money. But do most of you like and want to see the same teams, Bama, Georgia, tOSU, Clemson etc. over and over and over? I guess the average person must want that. But to me, it's such a turnoff I quit caring about this playoff years ago. Do most of you have less interest if the usual suspects aren't there? I mean I'm MORE INTERESTED if they are left out.

Oh I agree. I want more access and see different teams. It's just not seeing those 3 schools on the outside looking in that drove this change. It was money.

Well for one, Georgia didn't give a damn if it won or lost the SEC Championship. They were in either way. It was Alabama who needed it, which is why they went from being 17 points better to 15 points worse when the two teams met twice in a little over a month.
Then for not giving a damn about winning, I think a team should be punished.

In general, no. But I must admit: When it's two completely off the wall teams, the matchup does kind of seem watered down.

Like Oklahoma State/Baylor and Pitt/Wake Forest last year. Like, I'm a big college football fan so I don't care as much as some. But I think it generates more interest when there's at least one household name in the game. Then there is at least a "slaying the giant" angle to be pushed. Are people going to watch Kansas State vs TCU the same they would Texas vs Oklahoma? Probably not. Although with TCU having a playoff path, that will help. Pretty sure the AAC Championship outdrew the ACC Championship last year in part because of that.

I believe it would be Bama, Michigan, Cincinnati and Utah. Cincy was 3rd highest ranked conference champion last year.

In any case round one would have resulted in Kenny Pickett raw dogging the Georgia defense until they all opted out at half time, losing 54-0

Part of me says that in the end, nothing will change much. It will still be the usual 4-5 left at the end.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT