ADVERTISEMENT

Extend Capel Now!

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Kidding.....kinda. This dude is ridiculous. Couldn’t have inherited a tougher situation. Takes an 0-19 team with literally 0 players on the roster and convinces to Top 100ish 2019 kids to reclassify to play for said 0-19 team.

Can you imagine what Capel is going to do once he's able to win a few games. All he is selling now is his vision.

I don't think its possible to be more excited about the future for an 0-19 team. Like, maybe this is still dreamland, but I feel like if you give him 4-5 years, he can make a run at a Final Four.

Yes, I'm glad we got Capel over Hurley too. Higher ceiling with Capel.
We are in a shockingly good situation, given where we were the day before he got hired. Hail Heather.

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
Hurley would have been In n Out and PITT basketball would have gotten screw-d again!
He would have been another EPIC PITT sports mistake.
Capel is the man that's needed to get things back on track!
Who knows he might like it here and stay a while?

"it's five o'clock somewhere"
Signed: Mr Buffett
Go PITT & CSU Rams!

Last edited:
Even if Capel has a few great years here, Mike Brey will likely still end up the front runner to succeed Coach K.

Unfortunately Coaches contracts mean nothing !
I don't understand why they mean nothing? Why can't you enforce them and stop guys from leaving? Or at least F' Up there move to somewhere else somehow?

As for Capel, if he recruits and wins I'm down with extending him, EVEN IF HE'S CAUGHT CHEATING! If he goes 30-5 and all the wins are vacated, I extend him for the PURE JOY I had watching those wins, that are ALWAYS REAL to me.

Even if Capel has a few great years here, Mike Brey will likely still end up the front runner to succeed Coach K.

I respect you very much as a poster but I respectfully disagree.

If Coach K steps down they aren’t hiring a 60 plus Mike Brey.

Capel will receive plenty of support if he can can get Pitt to a tourney or 2. Duke fans are very impressed with his recruiting.

My $$$ would be on Collins

Everyone has their opinion..

I have to ask, the Duke job opens due to coach K's health issues this year.. then ?
Actually if Coach K leaves after this year ( won't happen) that would be the best case scenario for PITT basketball.

They would never pick up Capel after just one year of HC experience at PITT.

Go PITT & CSU Rams!

As for Capel, if he recruits and wins I'm down with extending him, EVEN IF HE'S CAUGHT CHEATING! If he goes 30-5 and all the wins are vacated, I extend him for the PURE JOY I had watching those wins, that are ALWAYS REAL to me.

10 years ago I would disagree.. now I agree 100%.

Actually if Coach K leaves after this year ( won't happen) that would be the best case scenario for PITT basketball.

They would never pick up Capel after just one year of HC experience at PITT.

Go PITT & CSU Rams!

Good point.

I don't understand why they mean nothing? Why can't you enforce them and stop guys from leaving? Or at least F' Up there move to somewhere else somehow?
For multiple reasons.

#1. Because sought after coaches generally hold all the cards in contract negotiations. Most of the time, for high profile positions, the schools are pitching themselves to the coaches, not the other way around.

#2. There is so much money being made that the buyouts that are written into the contracts are almost meaningless if a Power 5 school wants your coach.

I mean christ, how much more proof of his statement do you need than the entire Stallings saga? School gave the guy everything he wanted in the contract, overpaying him and guaranteeing him, then when he failed to pan out gave him $7+ million to go away and immediately hired another coach with most likely insane guarantees.

He's not saying that the contracts aren't enforceable, he's saying that they are written so far into a coach's favor that they aren't restrictive of anything.

I respect you very much as a poster but I respectfully disagree.

If Coach K steps down they aren’t hiring a 60 plus Mike Brey.

Capel will receive plenty of support if he can can get Pitt to a tourney or 2. Duke fans are very impressed with his recruiting.

My $$$ would be on Collins

You make some very valid points... and no worries about disagreeing... it's refreshing to see a logical, respectful counter instead of anger and non-sense often spewed on anonymous message boards when people disagree. H2P!

To be honest, if he gave Pitt 4-5 years where tourneys and 20 wins was normal again, I'd take that over a crappy coach that wouldn't leave.

Alum or not, Capel is not going to get the Duke job unless he proves he can win here.

If he wins big and in 4 - 6 few years Duke comes a knocking then so be it., At least he will have won here at Pitt.

Duke is going to have their pick of just about anyone they want.

Alum or not, Capel is not going to get the Duke job unless he proves he can win here.

If he wins big and in 4 - 6 few years Duke comes a knocking then so be it., At least he will have won here at Pitt.

Duke is going to have their pick of just about anyone they want.

Agreed. He's going to have to prove he can win. Coach K is the highest paid coach in college basketball. Whoever succeeds K will receive a HUGE pay increase, probably 7 million+. The candidate of coaches is essentially every coach in college basketball (and potentially an NBA Coach like Brad Stevens or Billy Donovan). Having Duke ties will help Capel, but he's going to need multiple winning seasons in order to be the lead candidate, IMO.

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
Agree on the winning part. Love what Capel is doing so far and I’m pumped - but recruiting is one thing. Gotta win too.

I’m enjoying the current momentum with Capel; however, I don’t think he would have left Duke if he was the “next man up!” He’s not going to be the next Duke coach. He is the Pitt coach as we speak so as Pitt fans let’s just breath and enjoy the moment!

Everyone has their opinion..

I have to ask, the Duke job opens due to coach K's health issues this year.. then ?
Capel could & should put his hat in the ring, but there are a lot of coaches that'll bid for that job! And Capel might be a 3rd option, if not 4th!

There might be a "couple" good coaches put in for the Duke job if it comes open!I have my resume all ready to send to Duke when Coach K is done.Damn it's pretty impressive if I do say so myself.

Hey pizzaboy your cool.. I dont know anything about your wife -- i swear!! lol

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT