ADVERTISEMENT

Kudos to Capel (and staff)

Dec 21, 2005
I have been a doubter of Jeff and his staff for a while not only because they don't know how to schedule for the metrics (please please consult someone with this knowledge) but also their own D and O Kenpom metrics are consistently lousy vs. the field. And yes, that is 110% coaching and style of play not the players themselves. And no, those numbers have not improved at all and will continue to haunt Pitt wrt NCAA Tourney fit and ability to make the field as long as he's the coach.

That being said, having 2 pure Freshmen guards play like this is truly insane! Name another team that's done this in the last 5 years at this level. Sure its out of necessity and yes Lowe wasn't used in those critical early season OOC losses but the level of play of those 2 guys is amazing. Gotta give it up to Capel for letting the guys play ball. Now, for next year we need to move on from Fede and get a legit large big man who can control the paint with some bulk and rebounding. Keep the twins with their outside skills. Can we get a big man coach too while we're at it? TO is great at jumping around on the bench like a moose in heat but not sure why our bigs consistently get worse. If we can get that in the portal + everyone returning minus Hinson, this team should be a top 15 caliber team preseason.

Capel has earned some kudos for the last couple years. He genuinely seems like a good leader and his passion is evident. Recruiting the right young guys and transfers, versus just the most talented, is something seems to have learned.

That being said, I think the X’s and O’s will continue to be a hot topic, and that’s ok. But I want to see how he does without Hinson bailing out the somewhat dribble heavy, pro-style offense, from time to time. Even last night, the offense was saved when Hinson decided to be Hinson against the zone, and not really any other tactical reason.

Capel has earned some kudos for the last couple years. He genuinely seems like a good leader and his passion is evident. Recruiting the right young guys and transfers, versus just the most talented, is something seems to have learned.

That being said, I think the X’s and O’s will continue to be a hot topic, and that’s ok. But I want to see how he does without Hinson bailing out the somewhat dribble heavy, pro-style offense, from time to time. Even last night, the offense was saved when Hinson decided to be Hinson against the zone, and not really any other tactical reason.
Isn’t “moving the ball to get open shots, and making the open shots that the zone gives you” pretty much the best tactical approach against the zone?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT