ADVERTISEMENT

F&M Open

persp

Senior
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2001
Wont be too much excitement as only three Pitt starters are currently scheduled to wrestle: Vince S, Cole, and Keslar.

Only other notes worth mentioning are no Badgett or Michaels at 149 and Laffey bumping up to 157 with Keslar and Evans.

Cole wrestling is exciting. He needs a good tournament to get his record back over .500 and hopefully get back into the top 20 of ranking. Vinny has also slowly slid to the high 20s, so he needs to get some solid wins to avoid becoming a true bubble guy. Keslar needs to start a nice run to secure NCAA qualification because that ACC bracket has a clear top 2 and may not get any extra allocations

Reactions: bwh05 and persp
Cole wrestling is exciting. He needs a good tournament to get his record back over .500 and hopefully get back into the top 20 of ranking. Vinny has also slowly slid to the high 20s, so he needs to get some solid wins to avoid becoming a true bubble guy. Keslar needs to start a nice run to secure NCAA qualification because that ACC bracket has a clear top 2 and may not get any extra allocations
Vinny has seen an endless run of top 10-20 guys so far this year. He has performed well, which Im sure is why his ranking is holding despite a losing record. I don't think he has seen a guy in the 30s or lower since the Navy match. But that said, he needs to deliver tomorrow to justify his ranking

the 133 Bracket is very good. Vinny is the 5 seed and the 1 and 3 seed have already beat him this year

I know why he’s not wrestling, I’m sure because the season takes a toll on you to begin with but man I would’ve liked to see Pitzer in that heavyweight division. they have the #11, #13, #2 ranked heavyweights in that weight

Reactions: singregardless
Vince, Cole, Dylan to the semis. All three will face higher seeds
Jared loses to Maryland again. This time got pinned in 1:02

Can somebody help me with what is going on with Cole? They say confidence is down, is he having trouble making the weight because I know what Wyatt Henson is all about and I’m not saying he’s not good I just really thought Cole would be better than him.

• Wow
Reactions: jctrack
Can somebody help me with what is going on with Cole? They say confidence is down, is he having trouble making the weight because I know what Wyatt Henson is all about and I’m not saying he’s not good I just really thought Cole would be better than him.
I may be wrong but to me, it looks like a 6th year guy with limited offense who has plateaued that other wrestlers have figured out and caught up to.

2nd Place, highest finisher from Pitt at 157lbs, got majored in finals by Jude Swisher of UPenn

I may be wrong but to me, it looks like a 6th year guy with limited offense who has plateaued that other wrestlers have figured out and caught up to.
Yeah. Once Cole had his breakout season (incl. beating Rivera & Woods at NCAAs), he started getting scouted and gameplanned HARD by every opponent. It's hard to win matches in this era as a one-dimensional wrestler, no matter how dominant you are in that one area.

He is giving up a ton of takedowns too though. I recall the last couple years no matter how deep an opponent got on a shot, I was pretty dang confident that Cole would either counterscore or defend successfully.

I think this is spot on. After watching Cole again last night, he really is no threat offensively. He may have made adjustments with the focus on offensive wrestling however they appear to be minimal.

And as you mentioned, scouting and preparing for Cole is not as difficult now. I’m frustrated for him but mentally he has to work through this.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT