ADVERTISEMENT

Fans ticked off about recruiting....

cpc247

Redshirt
Jun 26, 2013
Please throw out 5 realistic names that would be a better situation right now then HCPN......??? Is there a football version of Capel out there ?

The overall level of the program... recruiting...wins...players...coaches...is better than it has been since Wanny left what would be a better fit at this point in time because I don't see it.

Please throw out 5 realistic names that would be a better situation right now then HCPN......??? Is there a football version of Capel out there ?

The overall level of the program... recruiting...wins...players...coaches...is better than it has been since Wanny left what would be a better fit at this point in time because I don't see it.

Some numbers to back that up?

I don't really understand the OP. Are you asking who would have been a better HC hire then? Now? Just at recruiting?

The bottomline is that we went 5-7 in Year 3 and the recruiting is setting us up to be nothing beyond a middle of the pack (at best) team and our in state rivals are killing us as a program, while they come off the worst scandal in history. If the recruiting doesn't get a lot better, the results won't improve and that isn't acceptable.

Narduzzi’s year 3 record is better than any Pitt coach in 30 years
Well, not better than Gottfried, but Pitt football has been bad for 30 years. Is the standard being better than .500? So anyone better than 19-19 in their first 3 years should be given a lifetime contract or escape critique?

Last edited:
Reactions: sherepower
Ticked off, I am ticked off that Pitt Alums do not support their teams by refusing to go to the games, typically over some manhood issue about pay or they convenice them selves they know better than the coach. Lack of stadium energy is the number one reason big time recruits bye pass Pitt. A couple of years ago Pitt played VT at Pitt on National TV, the game was for sole possession of first place in the division and the Alumni where nowhere to be found. With just a little fan energy, Pitt would have won that game and could have ended up playing for at ACC championship. Don’t be ticked be ticketed and go to the game.

Ticked off, I am ticked off that Pitt Alums do not support their teams by refusing to go to the games, typically over some manhood issue about pay or they convenice them selves they know better than the coach. Lack of stadium energy is the number one reason big time recruits bye pass Pitt. A couple of years ago Pitt played VT at Pitt on National TV, the game was for sole possession of first place in the division and the Alumni where nowhere to be found. With just a little fan energy, Pitt would have won that game and could have ended up playing for at ACC championship. Don’t be ticked be ticketed and go to the game.

More fan energy at the games means more home victories? That is a good one.

I'm sure as a season ticket holder, you've spoken to someone in the AD's office?

I don't care much about recruiting other than I realize you can't make chicken salad out of chicken $hit no matter how good of a coach you are.

The on field results are all that matters to me so if we see some progress this season and the staff can find ways to elevate some of the 3 star type recruits into good players then I don't really care about recruiting.

If we are 5-7 again and anything is possible considering our OOC schedule is beyond brutal, I will start really worrying about this staff. But for now, I am not that concerned.

Reactions: Pittparade
To answer the OP’s question: I’d say the closest comparison to Capel in college football is Lane Kiffin.

Seems arbitrary. His first full roster of "his" recruits was last season. Year three were still someone else's recruits, for the most part.

Dan,

In 2016, we beat two teams that finished in the top ten in the same season (Clemson & Penn State).

When was the last time that happened???

Answer: NEVER.

Last year we played 5 teams in the top 25 and won one of them (Miami). If we played Akron and Temple instead of OKST and PSU and win our bowl game, we would've finished 8-5 in a rebuilding year.

In 2009, we finished #15 in the AP Poll. We played two teams that finished in the top 25 that season and lost to both of them (WVU and Cincinnati) Yet we praise DW and question HCPN.

There is no question in my mind that Narduzzi is the right coach.

Dan,

In 2016, we beat two teams that finished in the top ten in the same season (Clemson & Penn State).

When was the last time that happened???

Answer: NEVER.

Last year we played 5 teams in the top 25 and won one of them (Miami). If we played Akron and Temple instead of OKST and PSU and win our bowl game, we would've finished 8-5 in a rebuilding year.

In 2009, we finished #15 in the AP Poll. We played two teams that finished in the top 25 that season and lost to both of them (WVU and Cincinnati) Yet we praise DW and question HCPN.

There is no question in my mind that Narduzzi is the right coach.

You can have all of the faith you want in Narduzzi but outside of the Miami game, things have tanked a bit. He better pull this recruiting class together pretty quickly or he's on the hot-seat by September.

You can have all of the faith you want in Narduzzi but outside of the Miami game, things have tanked a bit. He better pull this recruiting class together pretty quickly or he's on the hot-seat by September.

I'll go on record as saying we will win 9-10 games this season.

Again, last year was a rebuilding year: New QB with little to no experience, No James Connor, A new TE, new OC. On Defense we lost Blair, Taleni, Wirginis (All players we were counting on) in addition we lost Capara, Lewis, Galambos, Price, Soto, Jarrett, and Bradley...

We also had Bookser and Whitehead were suspended during the season...

It was very challenging consider the losses and the schedule. Again, if we schedule differently, we could have finished with a better record...

If we played Akron and Temple instead of OKST and PSU and win our bowl game, we would've finished 8-5 in a rebuilding year.

I'm sure if you take two Power 5 opponents off everyone's schedule, replace them with G5 opponents, and then give yourself an automatic bowl win (which, by the way, could just as easily be another loss) everyone's record would look better. Not sure what the point of this was.

Alas, we are what we are.

he took a program stuck at 6 wins under chryst and immediately won back to back 8 regular win seasons. last year was a set back, 5 wins is bad. so he's 2 for 3 in my book and I expect last year to be an aberration, not the norm.

Why the haters discount two 8-4 regular seasons but focus on a 5-7 win season is all I need to know about what your perspective is.

he took a program stuck at 6 wins under chryst and immediately won back to back 8 regular win seasons. last year was a set back, 5 wins is bad. so he's 2 for 3 in my book and I expect last year to be an aberration, not the norm.

Why the haters discount two 8-4 regular seasons but focus on a 5-7 win season is all I need to know about what your perspective is.
I don't think anyone is "focused" on just the 5-7 season. The total record and the recruiting aren't good enough, even when accounting for those 8-5 seasons. He is 21-17 and the recruiting is looking very, very pedestrian. pittmeister thinks we win 9-10 games. If that happens and the recruiting takes a huge leap from where we are, everyone will be happy. However, a much more realistic view sees this as a 6 or 7 win season and mediocre recruiting. If that happens, we are no closer to improving as a program and we are either settling for mediocrity or finding a new HC.

I'm sure if you take two Power 5 opponents off everyone's schedule, replace them with G5 opponents, and then give yourself an automatic bowl win (which, by the way, could just as easily be another loss) everyone's record would look better. Not sure what the point of this was.

Alas, we are what we are.

We? Beat it troll...

I'm sure as a season ticket holder, you've spoken to someone in the AD's office?
Yes, I am a season ticket holder, I split time in Florida and Virginia and do attend the games. If you guys do not think fan energy doesn’t matter you either never played the game or were not in the stands for the Pitt - PSU game we last won!

Pitt alums go to games at roughly the same rate that PSU alums do and many other places. We have a stadium that is just too big and makes us look small time.

I don't know if Narduzzi is the right man for the job, but this argument is just dumb. This is like saying, "there is something wrong with this person's head. I'm going to crack it open with this hammer and see if that lets out what is wrong with it." I don't need to have an alternative solution readily available to be able to argue that cracking the head open with a hammer is not the right solution.
It's not our job to find "the guy." Whether Narduzzi is the guy or not, needs to exist independent of whether fans on a message board have the guy identified. That's for the AD to do.

Reactions: HailToPitt725

Nobody is discounting the 8-4 seasons. Instead all anybody can do is project forward based on various inputs, and how much they value them.
You significantly weigh the 16 wins in the first two years. And that's defensible.
But I wouldn't say I've seen anything from him that indicates he's an elite X's and O's guy. His DC hires have been average to bad. QB play aside, the OC hire looked horrible last year. The recruiting appears stale going into year 4. And the staff doesn't seem built to be a recruiting staff, while at the same time, doesn't have any elite X's and O's or position technician that would justify such a trade off.
So why everybody isn't so bullish going forward, despite the 8-4 season, makes logical sense. Even if you don't agree with it, it's not hard to understand the argument and see the merit behind it. Especially when you put it in the context of a vastly improving ACC Coastal.

Regardless of the crimes committed, the flip side is that the nitters stuck with the program and showed up at the home games. Now look at them.
Apples-to-oranges comparison. With their massive branch campus system, the Nits turn-out alumni like Hershey turns-out candy bars. More alumni donate more money to their athletic coffers, and let’s be honest: what else is there to do in State College, PA besides watching sports and getting drunk?

Go back to the bwi board. Quit trolling here

Reactions: cashisking884

It might feel good to think that "fan energy" has such a direct and quantifiable positive impact on the outcome of the game, but it's not true. Pitt is hardly the only school that can't fill up its own stadium, yet that hasn't proven to be the insurmountable obstacle for other schools that you claim it is for Pitt. Why? Because those schools' administrations are dead set on succeeding, whereas the commitment of the Pitt administration has failed to meet the necessary standard to move past mediocrity. It's ****ing bizarre to me that so many Pitt fans want to cast blame on one another when the architect of Pitt's failure lies elsewhere.

Not a Narduzzi hater, but I would’ve preferred to have someone who had been a head coach before.

Some concern, some just like to bitch, but I think Narduzzi is on pretty solid ground. Seems to be in Lyke’s graces, he got a contract extension and given the circus Pitt has been since Wanny, I think they value the stability. That along with a challenging schedule makes him a lock for at least two years.

None of the Narduzzi haters have answered: Who would you hire instead?
I’m not campaigning for Narduzzi’s ouster but 4 years ago Pitt should have hired Dan Mullen. Had they showed the same level of commitment 4 years ago when they were looking for a FB coach as they did when they hired Capel they probably could have attracted a proven HC instead of an unproven coordinator. We are where we are now.... I don't Think anyone is a Narduzzi hater as you suggest...probably because you can’t stand any criticism in your fragile little world. Narduzzi has been pretty good but 4 years in people have the right to ask if he can elevate Pitt beyond mediocrity.... last season was a step backwards.... this season is critical . Recruiting results this year suggest prospective recruits are taking a wait and see approach. Bottom line is that Narduzzi has to produce and that means showing big things are on the horizon. If he doesn’t do that, the recruiting will continue to stagnate.

None of the Narduzzi haters have answered: Who would you hire instead?
There isn't a single "Narduzzi hater" in the thread. However, you didn't ask that question. When are you referencing? Why does that question matter? I responded to the OP (which doesn't make sense) and he hasn't responded. He probably hasn't responded because he didn't think through his original post.

No one has said HCPN shouldn't have been hired or shouldn't be Pitt's coach. However, if things don't improve in recruiting or the staff doesn't get much, much better and lap our ACC competition, we aren't going to be better than middle of the pack and that isn't good enough.

Reactions: pittdan77
I’m not campaigning for Narduzzi’s ouster but 4 years ago Pitt should have hired Dan Mullen. Had they showed the same level of commitment 4 years ago when they were looking for a FB coach as they did when they hired Capel they probably could have attracted a proven HC instead of an unproven coordinator. We are where we are now.... I don't Think anyone is a Narduzzi hater as you suggest...probably because you can’t stand any criticism in your fragile little world. Narduzzi has been pretty good but 4 years in people have the right to ask if he can elevate Pitt beyond mediocrity.... last season was a step backwards.... this season is critical . Recruiting results this year suggest prospective recruits are taking a wait and see approach. Bottom line is that Narduzzi has to produce and that means showing big things are on the horizon. If he doesn’t do that, the recruiting will continue to stagnate.
Thanks for answering my question at least. You seem to be the fragile one with your defensive response. I don't think Narduzzi is above criticism and I think there are lot of areas he could improve on. I just don't understand how some have turned on him after a bad season. We haven't been Alabama for the last 30+ years have we?

There isn't a single "Narduzzi hater" in the thread. However, you didn't ask that question. When are you referencing? Why does that question matter? I responded to the OP (which doesn't make sense) and he hasn't responded. He probably hasn't responded because he didn't think through his original post.

No one has said HCPN shouldn't have been hired or shouldn't be Pitt's coach. However, if things don't improve in recruiting or the staff doesn't get much, much better and lap our ACC competition, we aren't going to be better than middle of the pack and that isn't good enough.
I was asking who people would take right now to be the coach instead of Narduzzi?

I was asking who people would take right now to be the coach instead of Narduzzi?
Lots of coaches?

But that is a silly question. We aren't replacing Narduzzi and likely wouldn't entertain that until, at least, the end of the 2019 season. Even then, the next two years would have to be under .500 to fire him before 2020. That doesn't mean there shouldn't be realistic discussion about the program, the job he is doing, and what is the likely future under HCPN.

Duzzi is a top ten game day coach, top 20 recruiter.

Pitt need butts in seats

If Duzzi was coaching at Va Tech, Colorado, Miss State, Michigan State. They would be competing for National Championships. He is that good.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT