ADVERTISEMENT

Fans ticked off about recruiting....

Thanks for answering my question at least. You seem to be the fragile one with your defensive response. I don't think Narduzzi is above criticism and I think there are lot of areas he could improve on. I just don't understand how some have turned on him after a bad season. We haven't been Alabama for the last 30+ years have we?
I’m not fragile at all ...those who are fragile blow a little ctiticism or expression of a little concern over developments by posters vinto attacks on people as haters and people advocating someone be fired... that’s you! No one’s turned on him.... that’s your defensive posturing and effort to stifle criticism. Last year was a crappy year and recruiting is at a standstill....simple as that. Why would people be extolling Narduzzi at the moment? Pitt needs to get better... no one gives a $hit we haven’t been Alabama the last 30 years. When I attended Pitt we were Alabama and as as far as I’m concerned that should be Pitt’s objective!

Reactions: sherepower
Lots of coaches?

But that is a silly question. We aren't replacing Narduzzi and likely wouldn't entertain that until, at least, the end of the 2019 season. Even then, the next two years would have to be under .500 to fire him before 2020. That doesn't mean there shouldn't be realistic discussion about the program, the job he is doing, and what is the likely future under HCPN.
It isn't a silly question. Of course we would take Saban, Urban, etc. The question is who is a realistic option Pitt could get right now that people would take over Narduzzi.

It isn't a silly question. Of course we would take Saban, Urban, etc. The question is who is a realistic option Pitt could get right now that people would take over Narduzzi.
It is a silly question because we aren't even remotely in the market for a HC and no one here is suggesting we should be.

Yes, I am a season ticket holder, I split time in Florida and Virginia and do attend the games. If you guys do not think fan energy doesn’t matter you either never played the game or were not in the stands for the Pitt - PSU game we last won!

Cool story but "fan energy" tends to ebb and flow with good football games. Pretty sure the people falling asleep during the OSU game last year weren't going to struggle to be energized if the game was close or Pitt was up. It's also pretty hard to get energized enough to show up to watch Pitt struggle to beat a mediocre ACC team.

I'm not sure why this fan base can't understand that winning will grab the attention and interest of casual fans and maybe even get a few people who never cared to come see games. There aren't enough of us right now to move the needle.

We’re not shopping for a coach and the issue of who we could/would hire to replace Narduzzi is completely irrelevant to an evaluation of what he’s accomplished and the current state of the program.... you continue to hopelessly link two completely different issues.

Reactions: Jpripper88
Duzzi is a top ten game day coach, top 20 recruiter.

Pitt need butts in seats

If Duzzi was coaching at Va Tech, Colorado, Miss State, Michigan State. They would be competing for National Championships. He is that good.

So why did Pitt miss a bowl game last year and how doesn't he have any commits, from anyone, heading into the second weekend of June?

It is a silly question because we aren't even remotely in the market for a HC and no one here is suggesting we should be.
Well the OP was about who you would replace Narduzzi with. It is fine if you don't want to answer the question for whatever reason

We’re not shopping for a coach and the issue of who we could/would hire to replace Narduzzi is completely irrelevant to an evaluation of what he’s accomplished and the current state of the program.... you continue to hopelessly link two completely different issues.
It was the OP dude. You didn't answer the question. Never mind.

Well the OP was about who you would replace Narduzzi with. It is fine if you don't want to answer the question for whatever reason

No, the OP asked the rhetorical question to support his claims that Narduzzi is somehow irreplaceable or better than anything else Pitt could muster. Sometimes weak arguments fall back on these kinds of goofy questions because a poster knows they are virtually impossible to answer.

No, the OP asked the rhetorical question to support his claims that Narduzzi is somehow irreplaceable or better than anything else Pitt could muster. Sometimes weak arguments fall back on these kinds of goofy questions because a poster knows they are virtually impossible to answer.
And it wasn't even framed in anyway that made sense.

Reactions: pittdan77
It was the OP dude. You didn't answer the question. Never mind.
The whole premise of the OP was Pitt can't get anyone better than Narduzzi so quit complaining about or criticizing him...you picked that theme up and ran with it.

Why the hell was Wanny fired? I never understood it. From what I saw the team was consistently good and he was a great program ambassador with a really compelling background. Was there something interesting going on behind the scenes?

Why the hell was Wanny fired? I never understood it. From what I saw the team was consistently good and he was a great program ambassador with a really compelling background. Was there something interesting going on behind the scenes?
Hew dared to challenge pedey boy for being too cheap to put new carpeting in the FB facility.

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
I realize Narduzzi is here for at least two more years. Probably more.

What sucks is I wish we hired Brohm. The coach at Purdue. Guy in his 2nd year has three 4 stars verbals and in the race for more. I wish we would of hired him when he was the head coach at Western Kentucky. His offense is already a machine like it was at WK

I thought Wanny was perfect for the Pitt program. In my opinion, Narduzzi's time is limited at Pitt. He had Chryst's recruits and they were lined up to win their division in 2016 but instead had to settle for two nice wins but no championship to play for and a lousy Pinstripe Bowl appearance. The step back last year was expected after losing a lot of talent. This is probably the defining year for Narduzzi. Go 4-8 to 6-6 and the seat gets warm and pressure goes up especially if recruiting is mediocre. Survive the non-con at 2-2 and compete for the division until the final week should be the expectation. He's got to show he can win with his recruits and the majority of the players are his now. I'm sure Pitt will have as many recruits as possible at the night PSU game. That's a huge opportunity to show a good atmosphere and show they can compete at a high level. Atmosphere may have minimal influence on one particular game but it might have significantly more influence on future games because of whatever is being taken in by that 16-17 year old recruit.

As for who you would get to replace him? There's lots of talented coordinators or head coaches at lower level schools dying for an opportunity at a power 5 school. You do need a bit of a salesman to go along with the ability to coach. After all, recruiting is a ridiculously important component of a successful college football program. I really don't think Narduzzi is that guy. If he's not, he's gotta have staff that can recruit their butts off.

Reactions: cbpitt2

What sucks is I wish we hired Brohm. The coach at Purdue. Guy in his 2nd year has three 4 stars verbals and in the race for more. I wish we would of hired him when he was the head coach at Western Kentucky. His offense is already a machine like it was at WK
I agree that Brohm is a good coach, but he's got the advantage of being in the Big Ten. The Big Ten markets itself so well that practically anyone can recruit there. High school players in the Big Ten footprint are indoctrinated to go there - similar to how a lot of players in the South/Southwest prefer to stay in the SEC.

So I'm not sure that Brohm would do as well if he was at Pitt -- and conversely, I think that Narduzzi would recruit much better if he was the head coach at a Big Ten school.

I thought Wanny was perfect for the Pitt program. In my opinion, Narduzzi's time is limited at Pitt. He had Chryst's recruits and they were lined up to win their division in 2016 but instead had to settle for two nice wins but no championship to play for and a lousy Pinstripe Bowl appearance. The step back last year was expected after losing a lot of talent. This is probably the defining year for Narduzzi. Go 4-8 to 6-6 and the seat gets warm and pressure goes up especially if recruiting is mediocre. Survive the non-con at 2-2 and compete for the division until the final week should be the expectation. He's got to show he can win with his recruits and the majority of the players are his now. I'm sure Pitt will have as many recruits as possible at the night PSU game. That's a huge opportunity to show a good atmosphere and show they can compete at a high level. Atmosphere may have minimal influence on one particular game but it might have significantly more influence on future games because of whatever is being taken in by that 16-17 year old recruit.

As for who you would get to replace him? There's lots of talented coordinators or head coaches at lower level schools dying for an opportunity at a power 5 school. You do need a bit of a salesman to go along with the ability to coach. After all, recruiting is a ridiculously important component of a successful college football program. I really don't think Narduzzi is that guy. If he's not, he's gotta have staff that can recruit their butts off.

Now we have nitters chiming in....LOL!

If a nitter tells you he's not the guy, then he's the guy.... Get lost....

I agree that Brohm is a good coach, but he's got the advantage of being in the Big Ten. The Big Ten markets itself so well that practically anyone can recruit there. High school players in the Big Ten footprint are indoctrinated to go there - similar to how a lot of players in the South/Southwest prefer to stay in the SEC.

So I'm not sure that Brohm would do as well if he was at Pitt -- and conversely, I think that Narduzzi would recruit much better if he was the head coach at a Big Ten school.

The Big Ten West is usually the least talented division in all of college football because it's so hard to recruit there. There are no local talent bases to draw from. Sure, maybe you dominate the area. But that's like saying you dominate in taking home all the 1s at the end of the night when the bar is closing.

The Big Ten West is usually the least talented division in all of college football because it's so hard to recruit there. There are no local talent bases to draw from. Sure, maybe you dominate the area. But that's like saying you dominate in taking home all the 1s at the end of the night when the bar is closing.
Yep, but it would be worse if those teams weren't affiliated with the Big Ten. They often get the players that the Michigans, Nits, and Buckeyes don't want. There's a status point with some kids who want to say that they play in the Big Ten - even if it's for a lesser team. Just like Kentucky gets the players that Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, etc don't want. They want to say that they play in the SEC.

It reminds me of the story of the guy who didn't want to quit his job which involved his walking behind the elephants (with a pooper-scooper) in the circus parade....because he liked to say that he had a job in show-biz.

Yep, but it would be worse if those teams weren't affiliated with the Big Ten. They often get the players that the Michigans, Nits, and Buckeyes don't want. There's a status point with some kids who want to say that they play in the Big Ten - even if it's for a lesser team. Just like Kentucky gets the players that Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, etc don't want. They want to say that they play in the SEC.

It reminds me of the story of the guy who didn't want to quit his job which involved his walking behind the elephants (with a pooper-scooper) in the circus parade....because he liked to say that he had a job in show-biz.

But I think that's a separate argument.
There's: what is Purdue's recruiting floor/ceiling being in Indiana, and not even the team of Indiana, and being helped out being in the Big Ten?
Then there's: Is Brohm, through his recruiting and the staff hires he has made, elevating them closer to that ceiling or even above?

What you're saying seems to be going to the first question.
What the other poster argued, seems to be going to the second question. That you can't just say, "Purdue, Big Ten." Brohm's class is better than what Purdue usually gets simply because they are in the Big Ten. They are actually getting some upper tier recruits, that aren't leftover throwaways.

Last edited:
Nobody is discounting the 8-4 seasons. Instead all anybody can do is project forward based on various inputs, and how much they value them.
You significantly weigh the 16 wins in the first two years. And that's defensible.
But I wouldn't say I've seen anything from him that indicates he's an elite X's and O's guy. His DC hires have been average to bad. QB play aside, the OC hire looked horrible last year. The recruiting appears stale going into year 4. And the staff doesn't seem built to be a recruiting staff, while at the same time, doesn't have any elite X's and O's or position technician that would justify such a trade off.
So why everybody isn't so bullish going forward, despite the 8-4 season, makes logical sense. Even if you don't agree with it, it's not hard to understand the argument and see the merit behind it. Especially when you put it in the context of a vastly improving ACC Coastal.
It would have been much better if he wasn't 0-2 in bowl games. No national ranking and building good records with Chryst's recuits.

Now we have nitters chiming in....LOL!

If a nitter tells you he's not the guy, then he's the guy.... Get lost....

Whatever.. most PSU fans have friends that have gone to Pitt or root for Pitt. I've been been back and forth with friends that are Pitt fans for over 20 years. We do it respectfully and the back and forth is fun. Keep your guy.. we'll keep our and we'll see how things turn out.

Dan,

In 2016, we beat two teams that finished in the top ten in the same season (Clemson & Penn State).

When was the last time that happened???

Answer: NEVER.

Last year we played 5 teams in the top 25 and won one of them (Miami). If we played Akron and Temple instead of OKST and PSU and win our bowl game, we would've finished 8-5 in a rebuilding year.

In 2009, we finished #15 in the AP Poll. We played two teams that finished in the top 25 that season and lost to both of them (WVU and Cincinnati) Yet we praise DW and question HCPN.

There is no question in my mind that Narduzzi is the right coach.

Beating Temple and Akron isn't a guarantee last year... remember we lost to 1-8 UNC and YSU took us to OT.

Me too... i think him or Moorehead would be better than Narduzzi.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT