ADVERTISEMENT

Feasibility study for D1 Pitt hockey?

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
I think most of us saw that out of left field article in the Hockey News this summer about Pitt possibly going D1 in hockey. I apologize if this has been posted, but I think I found the source of where that information came from:

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2017/06/23_NHL-Hopes-to-Help-Bring-More.php

So, apparently the NHL is conducting a feasibility study to expand D1 hockey. They will be studying Illinois and 4 unnamed schools. It would appear from that Hockey News article, which had strangely detailed information that Pitt is one of those schools undergoing the study.

I think it'd be great if we got a hockey team but I honestly can't imagine we'd draw more than 2000 for most games with maybe a big bump for the PSU game or if Michigan or someone like that comes in. I'd go though

Reactions: Palm Beach Panther
I hate to rain on anyone's parade, but aren't we struggling to maintain the teams that we have now? I don't see how we can afford another men's team in any sport. And besides, do we have an on-campus ice arena for hockey?

Reactions: PantherSouth
I hate to rain on anyone's parade, but aren't we struggling to maintain the teams that we have now? I don't see how we can afford another men's team in any sport. And besides, do we have an on-campus ice arena for hockey?
Just flood the bowl next to the Pete where are stadium used to be and the admin will only have to pay for water. Of course the BOT would have to approve the payment for the water but if those who have a passion for Pitt hockey bring in the former Pitt AD he would no doubt convince them. After all he left Pitt with a big hole in the ground, perhaps it is a future burial site for King Kong for it is certainly large enough.

Reactions: Panther Parrothead
I’m not sure how well it wound do, but they are looking at it. They have some people outside of Pitt who have committed some $$ if we decide to do it.

We'd have to add a women's sport for Title IX. I'd add women's lacrosse. They can play on the soccer field.

If you are going to fully fund, then men's Ice Hockey would add 18 scholarships ..... women's Lacrosse would only add 12 scholarships, which may be a Title IX problem for us.

You could add women's Ice Hockey which if fully funded would also add 18 scholarships but women's Ice Hockey on average loses a lot more money then women's Lacrosse which wouldn't be good for Pitt.

An option would be not to fully fund men's Ice Hockey and add women's Lacrosse, but this would likely really hamper the success of men's Ice Hockey.

I would think that Pitt would only even consider looking at the possibility of adding Ice Hockey, if there is a significant amount of money available outside of Pitt to help fund a men's and women's Ice hockey program ..... my bet is we won't do it especially with the state of our football and basketball programs at present which need additional funds to fix ..... can't have another new sport taking more money away from FB and BB ...... adding Ice Hockey looks like a real long shot.

Besides most, maybe every, successful college Ice Hockey program has their own ice rink which if used properly year round can potentially decrease financial losses from an Ice Hockey program..... you would need some donor to help finance an ice rink like Penn State did .... again very unlikely.

I would absolutely love to have DI Hockey at Pitt, but I just don't see it right now without major outside money to help finance it.

Reactions: ThePanthers
If you are going to fully fund, then men's Ice Hockey would add 18 scholarships ..... women's Lacrosse would only add 12 scholarships, which may be a Title IX problem for us.

You could add women's Ice Hockey which if fully funded would also add 18 scholarships but women's Ice Hockey on average loses a lot more money then women's Lacrosse which wouldn't be good for Pitt.

An option would be not to fully fund men's Ice Hockey and add women's Lacrosse, but this would likely really hamper the success of men's Ice Hockey.

I would think that Pitt would only even consider looking at the possibility of adding Ice Hockey, if there is a significant amount of money available outside of Pitt to help fund a men's and women's Ice hockey program ..... my bet is we won't do it especially with the state of our football and basketball programs at present which need additional funds to fix ..... can't have another new sport taking more money away from FB and BB ...... adding Ice Hockey looks like a real long shot.

Besides most, maybe every, successful college Ice Hockey program has their own ice rink which if used properly year round can potentially decrease financial losses from an Ice Hockey program..... you would need some donor to help finance an ice rink like Penn State did .... again very unlikely.

I would absolutely love to have DI Hockey at Pitt, but I just don't see it right now without major outside money to help finance it.

You'd have to have most of the money coming from outside of Pitt. If the Penguins or NHL want to subsidize Pitt hockey. Great. Doesn't make sense on multiple levels; from Title IX, to finances, to facilities, to the primary conference that we are in, but hey, if someone else wants to pay, great.

Reactions: bwh05

You'd have to have most of the money coming from outside of Pitt. If the Penguins or NHL want to subsidize Pitt hockey. Great. Doesn't make sense on multiple levels; from Title IX, to finances, to facilities, to the primary conference that we are in, but hey, if someone else wants to pay, great.

I am guessing the NHL wants to grow College Hockey just to add interest in the sport. With Pittsburgh being a crazy good hockey town and a huge market for College Hockey standards, they probably think they need a team in the city (RMU doesn't count).

Maybe we could women's rowing which would be a very low cost, as Paco has said for year. You can use 20 scholarships.

I think most of us saw that out of left field article in the Hockey News this summer about Pitt possibly going D1 in hockey. I apologize if this has been posted, but I think I found the source of where that information came from:

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2017/06/23_NHL-Hopes-to-Help-Bring-More.php

So, apparently the NHL is conducting a feasibility study to expand D1 hockey. They will be studying Illinois and 4 unnamed schools. It would appear from that Hockey News article, which had strangely detailed information that Pitt is one of those schools undergoing the study.

I think it'd be great if we got a hockey team but I honestly can't imagine we'd draw more than 2000 for most games with maybe a big bump for the PSU game or if Michigan or someone like that comes in. I'd go though
Graduated from unh a 100 yrs ago and have to disagree about potential attendance. They have one of the largest on campus arenas in the country and often they sell out the 6500 seat arena. Will acknowledge hockey in NE is bigger there than Pittsburgh.

I am guessing the NHL wants to grow College Hockey just to add interest in the sport. With Pittsburgh being a crazy good hockey town and a huge market for College Hockey standards, they probably think they need a team in the city (RMU doesn't count).

This is my understanding

Given that the Penguins already have a minor league "feeder" system which they financially support, would they really want to throw money at something that brings them no instant or significant financial incentive?

Sorry, but I don't see a Pitt hockey team increasing the interest in Western PA hockey any more that Pitt football increases the interest in Western PA football -- especially since both the Pens' and the Steelers' games are already sellouts.

Given that the Penguins already have a minor league "feeder" system which they financially support, would they really want to throw money at something that brings them no instant or significant financial incentive?

Sorry, but I don't see a Pitt hockey team increasing the interest in Western PA hockey any more that Pitt football increases the interest in Western PA football -- especially since both the Pens' and the Steelers' games are already sellouts.

Yea, this is a bit of a head-scratcher. I don't think the Penguins would give Pitt anybody....maybe a sweetheart deal on the rink rental and maybe some help in helping them find a "Pegula."

I am not sure why the NHL really needs to grow College Hockey anyway. Would they like it to be more of a feeder system than those Junior Hockey leagues?

However, lets say Pitt did get a team. Would the Big Ten let them in for hockey only like ND and JHU for lacrosse? I think there would be a good chance of that.

Reactions: Panther Parrothead
Yea, this is a bit of a head-scratcher. I don't think the Penguins would give Pitt anybody....maybe a sweetheart deal on the rink rental and maybe some help in helping them find a "Pegula."

I am not sure why the NHL really needs to grow College Hockey anyway. Would they like it to be more of a feeder system than those Junior Hockey leagues?

However, lets say Pitt did get a team. Would the Big Ten let them in for hockey only like ND and JHU for lacrosse? I think there would be a good chance of that.
Unless some private funding source emerges, Pitt’s having a D-1 hockey team would be sheer folly, if only for the reason that we under-fund the teams that we have now.

If the ACC doesn’t have a certain sport, Pitt shouldn’t even consider adding it.

Unless some private funding source emerges, Pitt’s having a D-1 hockey team would be sheer folly, if only for the reason that we under-fund the teams that we have now.

If the ACC doesn’t have a certain sport, Pitt shouldn’t even consider adding it.

It would only happen thru private funding.

That would be the only hope as there is not alot Of schools to play nearby, New England has two big D1 leagues with most schools within a 2 or 3 hour ride. Hockey East had all the Ma schools like BU, BC and then UNH , Maine , Vt and UConn. ECAC has the Ivies plus some upstate ny schools. Except for ups , you are looking at traveling to mich and ND as the next closet schools.

It would only happen thru private funding.

To make a DI college hockey team plus whatever women's sport you add for Title IX compliance all revenue neutral, it would likely require about 1.5 to 2 million dollars a year of outside funds ....... just don't think it will happen.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT