ADVERTISEMENT

Figo on Netflix

Pitt79

Board of Trustee
Oct 3, 2005
Watched this tonight, you Euro soccer fans might know the story. Figo was a Portuguese soccer star at Barcelona, and through a lot of crazy stuff ended up transferring to Madrid and pissing a lot of people off, was an interesting show. I never realized how big a star Figo was, I only watched him play once, to me he was just the Portuguese guy that Greece beat in 2004 the day they made 19 year old Renaldo cry :)

Watched this tonight, you Euro soccer fans might know the story. Figo was a Portuguese soccer star at Barcelona, and through a lot of crazy stuff ended up transferring to Madrid and pissing a lot of people off, was an interesting show. I never realized how big a star Figo was, I only watched him play once, to me he was just the Portuguese guy that Greece beat in 2004 the day they made 19 year old Renaldo cry :)
Sounds like a good watch for @mike412

Reactions: Pitt79
Sounds like a good watch for @mike412
He's a Barca fan right, so he probably hates Figo :)

The reason I watched it was I had nothing better to do and curiosity as I remember the 2004 Euro Final and how the announcers kept talking him up.

I hate Figo. Every Barcelona fan does. The two teams are such polar opposites in every area that it’s incomprehensible. What made it even worse was that he is Spanish.

Real Madrid almost never has Spanish stars and not many Spanish players. The last two Spanish stars they had were Sergio Ramos and their goalie, Cassilas. They always have imported players. Barcelona historically has mostly Spanish players. Messi is from Argentina but has lived in Barcelona since he was 13. Fati was born in Africa but is a Spanish citizen and plays internationally for Spain.

15 players on Barcelona’s squad are Spanish. I think Real Madrid has 8 and only 1 is a regular starter. So for a Spanish player to transfer from Barcelona to Real Madrid was unheard of.

This actually is one of the least Spanish teams in Barcelona recent history — and also one with the fewest number of La Masia players who came up through the youth system. If I put together my choices for Barcelona’s starting 11, it would have only 3 Spanish starters. Still, yesterday they started Fati, Gabi, Sergi Roberto and Jordi Alba — all products of La Masia. On Tuesday, Real Madrid started Carvajal as its only Spanish starter.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt and Pitt79
I hate Figo. Every Barcelona fan does.
Bingo :)

I get it though, it was a seriously bad move. Even though he got paid way more, it was almost like the Madrid president played him, backed him into a corner, to me he comes off as a dumb jock. If it was about money, go to England or Italy. This was like transferring from Steelers to Ravens or tOSU to Michigan, he didn't think he'd get trashed with garbage on the field ?

This was like transferring from Steelers to Ravens

Players go from the Stillers to the Ravens and vise versa on a regular basis.

The problem isn't a player going to a rival for a lot more money. It's that way too many European soccer fans are batshit crazy.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Players go from the Stillers to the Ravens and vise versa on a regular basis.

The problem isn't a player going to a rival for a lot more money. It's that way too many European soccer fans are batshit crazy.
That too, but if it was Big Ben or Ray Lewis doing it, the reaction would be bigger.

That too, but if it was Big Ben or Ray Lewis doing it, the reaction would be bigger.

If say five or six years ago Roethlisberger had become a free agent and the Ravens offered him a ton more money than the Stillers did public sentiment wouldn't have come crashing down on Roethlisberger, it would have come down hard on the Stillers.

Look at the way that players who leave the Penguins and come back with a different team are treated. Hell, if they were even mediocre they get a video tribute on the scoreboard and a huge ovation from the fans.

If say five or six years ago Roethlisberger had become a free agent and the Ravens offered him a ton more money than the Stillers did public sentiment wouldn't have come crashing down on Roethlisberger, it would have come down hard on the Stillers.

Look at the way that players who leave the Penguins and come back with a different team are treated. Hell, if they were even mediocre they get a video tribute on the scoreboard and a huge ovation from the fans.
Who knows? I guess it would depend on who it was or where they went, whether fans will be pissed or not.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT