ADVERTISEMENT

First Game vs. What is Real

chillsy

Freshman
Gold Member
Jan 20, 2007
Aldie, Virginia
So, I am going to preface this by saying, I understand the vanilla offense against a team like Wofford and not wanting to show anything to Cincinnati or WVU. And I will also say that Sat. was only the second time I have seen Jurkovec play (the other time was when BC beat Pitt 2 years ago). So, I don't need a landslide of "You don't know what you are talking about," or "You know nothing about football!" And if this was discussed previously, I apologize, but I couldn't go back to the entire timeline of posts.

I was surprised at Jurkovec's arm strength, or lack of arm strength. He bounced in at least 2 passes that most QB's will make, even if he is moving out of the pocket. He made several nice throws, to Means down the seam, Bartholomew went up for also over the middle, and the TD pass to Carter as he was pressured and throwing across his body off his back foot. However, based on how big he is, I was surprised by the lack of zip on his passes. On several occasions our WR's were waiting on the pass and getting hit as soon as they caught it. It just seemed to me that he floats the ball a bit. I also noticed he throws a fairly wobbly ball, especially on screens. Again, I am not a QB coach and maybe I am being too critical, but based on his experience and size I was surprised. He also holds the ball too long, which may be a result of the WR's time to get open.

There is no dispute on #5's leadership, how he handles the huddle and his ability to run for yardage and potentially that being a weapon on 2nd and 3rd and short. Maybe it was the first game, heat, or anything else.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News