ADVERTISEMENT

First practice interviews...

MajorMajors

All American
Sep 29, 2002
There are brief interviews with Coach Chaney and Coach Duzz on Pitt's twitter account. They don't say much, but it's good to hear Pitt football coaches talking...

https://twitter.com/gopittfootball

I find it strange that Coach Duzz hasn't studied film from last season's games - but he claims he hasn't...

Go Pitt.

He hhas the talent he has. He will run his own system and will see in practice all he needs to see. I would think his position coaches have reviewed film and I'm sure that is good enough.

Re: Price's Rebirth Among Priorities At Pitt's Spring Drills, LINK!

ARTICLE & LINK & KEY POINTS UNDERLINED:

Price's rebirth among priorities at Pitt's spring drills

No one awaited Pitt spring drills with greater anticipation than defensive end Ejuan Price. That should come as no surprise to anyone. Price, a senior from Woodland Hills, missed most of the past three seasons with pectoral and back injuries. "I definitely got some cobwebs. I'll tell you that," Price said. Clearing those will be one of the coaching staff's main goals this spring.

New Pitt coach Pat Narduzzi conducted his first official practice Sunday, and among his most pressing duties is rebuilding a defense that was all but an embarrassment last season. While Price watched from the sideline or his dorm room and Narduzzi coordinated Michigan State's defense, Pitt allowed 56, 51, 40 and 35 points in its final four losses of a 6-7 season.

Nothing was as bad as the finale. Pitt allowed 29 points in the final 10:43 of a 35-34 loss to Houston in the Armed Forces Bowl. Ask Narduzzi about last season, and he pleads ignorance. "I have not gone back and watched a game," he said. "It's a fresh slate. It doesn't matter what happened before. It's where we are now."

Pitt lost four seniors from last year's defense: defensive end Dave Durham, linebackers Todd Thomas and Anthony Gonzalez and safety Ray Vinopal. What's left are several players with experience but few big plays on their resumes.

Price has five career sacks, but four of those were during his freshman season in 2011 - two head coaches ago. "Once I get those kinks worked out, I'll be back to my regular self," he said. He also wants to lose 5 pounds from his current weight of 255 on his 6-foot frame. Price's game is based on his speed off the snap, and he said Narduzzi's defense may be just what he needs.

"There is less responsibility," he said, comparing it to recent seasons. "It's all about speed, less constricting. I play faster. "Before we had specific assignments for everything. (Now) everything is simplified. The defensive backs know what to do. The linebackers know what to do. We are all going (fast)."

He also noted one more change from former coach Paul Chryst's three-year tenure. "You are not missing class anymore without nothing happening to you," he said. The key for Price, however, will be to stay healthy, but Narduzzi said that won't be problem on his watch. "We are going to keep him healthy," the coach said. "We've been pretty successful keeping guys healthy. So I don't expect that guy to miss a down this year."

Notes: Narduzzi praised quarterback Chad Voytik's work in the offseason conditioning program. "He's a competitor," the coach said. "I don't know if he lost a race or a competition all winter." ...

Voytik is one of three quarterbacks working this spring. New to the position is Nate Bossory (6-foot-3, 225 pounds) a walk-on transfer and former tight end from Air Force. ... Adam Bertke will return for his freshman season, but Joe Repischak, a walk-on from an Upper St. Clair, is not listed on the spring roster. ...

Transfer quarterback Nathan Peterman won't arrive until he finishes his semester at Tennessee.

Jerry DiPaola is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at jdipaola@tribweb.com or via Twitter @JDiPaola_Trib.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/college/pitt/7958605-74/price-pitt-narduzzi#ixzz3UXJjQ8xN

images

This post was edited on 3/16 4:57 AM by CaptainSidneyReilly

Re: Price's Rebirth Among Priorities At Pitt's Spring Drills, LINK!

"Not missing class anymore"?
Haven't we gotten beyond this kind of rhetoric?

I just hope they can stay out of trouble.
Wonder what is going to replace the NCAA?

Re: Oliver Luck In Charge, LINK!

N.C.A.A. Adds Oliver Luck as Executive, Addressing Some Concerns:

The
N.C.A.A. announced Wednesday that it had hired West Virginia's athletic director, Oliver Luck, as part of its leadership team. In the newly created position of executive vice president for regulatory affairs, Mr. Luck will oversee all regulation for the association, including academics, eligibility and enforcement.

LINK:
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/18/sports/oliver-luck-takes-job-with-embattled-ncaa.html?_r=0

images

Originally posted by MajorMajors:
There are brief interviews with Coach Chaney and Coach Duzz on Pitt's twitter account. They don't say much, but it's good to hear Pitt football coaches talking...

https://twitter.com/gopittfootball

I find it strange that Coach Duzz hasn't studied film from last season's games - but he claims he hasn't...

Go Pitt.
He was there to see the Armed Forces Bowl.
That may have been enough.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT