ADVERTISEMENT

Football and other sports' scholarship limits likely rising; football to 105

There is going to be a separation of the top 40-60 from the rest of college football and it will be based on commitment and spending. The question will be what G5 schools commit to spending more and P4 schools do not and if those that don't drop down to FCS or will there be something in between?

It is crazy to me that the P4 and the G5 are even still competing for the same thing.
There is going to be a separation of the top 40-60 from the rest of college football

We already have that--the P5.

There are 4-8 schools with football programs that are far and away beyond the rest in terms of clout and leverage. I think the real separation will be what has been talked about for years now on the board--the schools that become part of the SEC and B10. Maybe 30 or so. The rest will become second class citizens that nobody but their alums pay attention to or care about.

It's a shameful trend driven entirely by outrageous TV money and institutional greed.

Reactions: Mikefln
There is going to be a separation of the top 40-60 from the rest of college football and it will be based on commitment and spending. The question will be what G5 schools commit to spending more and P4 schools do not and if those that don't drop down to FCS or will there be something in between?

It is crazy to me that the P4 and the G5 are even still competing for the same thing.
it's crazy to me that G5 programs even want to continue to try and compete at D1 football.. they have zero chance to really do anything and the gap is widening. why wouldnt most of these schools just get out of that rat race and focus on hoops and other sports where the cost is a fraction of what it is to fund a D1 football program.

There is going to be a separation of the top 40-60 from the rest of college football

We already have that--the P5.

There are 4-8 schools with football programs that are far and away beyond the rest in terms of clout and leverage. I think the real separation will be what has been talked about for years now on the board--the schools that become part of the SEC and B10. Maybe 30 or so. The rest will become second class citizens that nobody but their alums pay attention to or care about.

It's a shameful trend driven entirely by outrageous TV money and institutional greed.
I think there are programs currently in the P4 that may not remain or want to spend the money needed to be a part of the top level and there are current G5 schools who may fancy spending the money if they have the chance.

Greed may be part of it but it is also a matter of institutional commitment to the sport. Do the schools who really care want to keep dragging others along with them who don't really care or invest at the same level? One of the reasons the SEC is so good from top to bottom is every program, except Vandy, invests and wants to win. The Big Ten has 8-11 schools that really care and want to compete and a few that are happy with going to a bowl and it is worse in the ACC and the Big 12.

it's crazy to me that G5 programs even want to continue to try and compete at D1 football.. they have zero chance to really do anything and the gap is widening. why wouldnt most of these schools just get out of that rat race and focus on hoops and other sports where the cost is a fraction of what it is to fund a D1 football program.

Their football teams make money, break-even, or come close due to the 2 buy-games they play and other smaller revenue items like ticket sales, CFP revenue, etc. Its a recruiting tool for regular students.

It really isn't. The guys who would be starting at the mid or lower mid-levels will be on scholarship instead at OSU or PSU or wherever, riding the bench, not getting a chance to play. Those are the guys who can really play somewhere, but nobody will ever know.

Others, who really can't play, will get some opportunity to prove that they can't play at the lesser-light programs.

Anybody who thinks this is good for Pitt or most of the ACC, or these borderline kids, is dreaming.
The piece that you are missing and makes your whole argument incorrect is the players are now getting paid.

So a 3rd team LB at Ohio State will not make anywhere near as much $$$ as he would being a starting LB at say SMU, or perhaps Pitt.

The transfer portal as it is today is mind numbing. Imagine the traffic in the portal once this goes in.

It actually becomes an opening for Pitt, if they can pay enough.

It's just getting more and more expensive to run major D1 athletics.

The SEC and BIG are going to build collegiate palaces of haves, with almost everyone else being a have not. That's mostly have that for football already, but it's going to extend to just about every sport. Nobody is going to be able to compete outside of a few outliers, and even then I'm not sure.

Pitt missed the boat due to imbeciles at the helm for decades. Their last chance was when Paterno and some administrators allowed a coach to rape little boys and did nothing. Pitt should have pushed hard to get into the Big 10 then. Instead, idiot Steve used that leverage to add a home game against Penn State. Program is pretty much over and people don't even realize it.

I think there are programs currently in the P4 that may not remain or want to spend the money needed to be a part of the top level and there are current G5 schools who may fancy spending the money if they have the chance.

Greed may be part of it but it is also a matter of institutional commitment to the sport. Do the schools who really care want to keep dragging others along with them who don't really care or invest at the same level? One of the reasons the SEC is so good from top to bottom is every program, except Vandy, invests and wants to win. The Big Ten has 8-11 schools that really care and want to compete and a few that are happy with going to a bowl and it is worse in the ACC and the Big 12.
The institutional commitment and what that handful of schools "really care" about is money. That's all a winning football program is to them. College football is a multi-billion dollar industry with only a small handful of schools driving the vast bulk of the revenue for the entire sport.

This would make so much sense for this level of football.
was listening to a show on Sirius/XM a few years back and they brought up the idea of G5 football going to the spring. obviously a 'what if" scenario but it made a ton of sense from a tv viewership standpoint..

Playing football on TV is a massive advertisement for your school. It's a big reason why all these schools continue to have sports programs even though the athletic department is "in the red."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT