ADVERTISEMENT

Football in 2020?

I think......let's see what happens after April. If this social distancing and some of the hot spots level off.

I am still hoping beyond hope for a vaccine. Of course, if it levels off, we have to eventually weigh that we don't shut down the world for the flu and kills alot of people also.

Reactions: PittPanthers90
I think......let's see what happens after April. If this social distancing and some of the hot spots level off.

I am still hoping beyond hope for a vaccine. Of course, if it levels off, we have to eventually weigh that we don't shut down the world for the flu and kills alot of people also.
Kills a lot but isn’t even close in terms of how contagious or deadly it is. Not to mention humans don’t have years of catching COVID 19 , getting better and getting a yearly COVID shot...

they just aren’t comparable

Influenza affects a larger number of people than most would think.

CDC estimates 24,000 to 62,000 deaths this flu season.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/preliminary-in-season-estimates.htm

Confirmed flu deaths are closer to 12,000 for the season. Those estimates aren’t hard numbers because they extrapolate untested deaths due to pneumonia. So they’ll say 50k died from the flu but they really don’t know that for sure. I don’t know why they do it that way and it’s not just a wild ass guess. In contrast, the Covid-19 data for deaths is 100% based on confirmed tests. So comparing flu data (or estimates) to Coronavirus data isn’t a true 1:1 unless you only use actual tested and confirmed cases for both or only extrapolate the data for both. Either way, Covid-19 is orders of magnitude more deadly than the flu and that’s only because there’s no immunization yet.

Another thing to remember, there are still a lot of people who can’t or won’t get the flu shot. That inflates the estimated data.

Well the real test is the NFL. They are the richest league and the greediest owners/businessmen anywhere. They will fight this tooth & nail. And they will push to still have football without fans since they make a ton on TV. The players will follow in lock step, since they won't organize against it even if there are health risks.

College football is in jeopardy. If they don't allow students back on campus, it is over. They won't take the NFL approach. I assume that decision probably comes by 4th of July. Right now I put the odds at less than 50-50, but I really can't see colleges opening themselves up to the risk of having dorms & large lecture halls filled with kids from all over the country, the communal cafeterias, etc. unless more treatments are developed by then. Too much risk.

I think the leagues that can push past 2020 with shortened seasons (NBA, NHL) will. Wouldn't be surprised to see super abbreviated NFL season start in December or something. I don't think we see college sports again until 2021.

Reactions: Nashville Panther
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT