ADVERTISEMENT

For the WVU lurkers, move your ⚽️ game vs #1 Marshall to Mountaineer Field

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
You will thank me later.

#1 Marshall @ #3 WVU - the biggest event in WV state history

You can fulfill a famous SMF prophecy of playing a college soccer game in a large football stadium. Nebraska copied my idea but applied it to volleyball

WVU is #3 is soccer?

They and Marshall have really good coaches. Marshall does the international thing like Pitt and has very few Americans. WVU is more of a mix. Pitt lost to Marshall 3-1 last month but there wasn't a ton of difference between the teams. Marshall has maybe the best forward in college soccer and he always gives us problems. Both of them are in the Sun Belt for soccer (with Kentucky and South Carolina also) so they will put up gaudy records. Marshall is legit though. WVU is probably more similar to Pitt this year. My guess is WVU would finish in the middle of the pack in the ACC. Just too many tough games. I absolutely loved our draw last year when we were put in the same bracket as #1 seed undefeated Sun Belt Champ Kentucky as I knew there was no way they were true #1 caliber. And we beat them.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
They and Marshall have really good coaches. Marshall does the international thing like Pitt and has very few Americans. WVU is more of a mix. Pitt lost to Marshall 3-1 last month but there wasn't a ton of difference between the teams. Marshall has maybe the best forward in college soccer and he always gives us problems. Both of them are in the Sun Belt for soccer (with Kentucky and South Carolina also) so they will put up gaudy records. Marshall is legit though. WVU is probably more similar to Pitt this year. My guess is WVU would finish in the middle of the pack in the ACC. Just too many tough games. I absolutely loved our draw last year when we were put in the same bracket as #1 seed undefeated Sun Belt Champ Kentucky as I knew there was no way they were true #1 caliber. And we beat them.
Fascinating!

So the SEC and Big12 don't have soccer leagues?

Yes, it is.

And I am sure that SMF has never been there before.

Of course I haven't but it looks nice on TV. I've driven past it. Isnt it right next to the coliseum? That isnt the point though. They could promote this game and draw 40K+ at Mountaineer Field and it could garner similar attention to that Nebraska game. Why wont anyone listen to me about playing college soccer at a football stadium?

Of course I haven't but it looks nice on TV. I've driven past it. Isnt it right next to the coliseum? That isnt the point though. They could promote this game and draw 40K+ at Mountaineer Field and it could garner similar attention to that Nebraska game. Why wont anyone listen to me about playing college soccer at a football stadium?
Because you're an idiot, pretty obvious.

Reactions: Tanat
No. Title IX doesnt allow. UCF is also in the Sun Belt for soccer.
What? so they don't have enough women's sports to have a men's soccer team? Is that what you're saying? ACC isn't prevented from having men's soccer. So schools like Bama, Georgia and Texas don't have men's soccer?

So schools like Bama, Georgia and Texas don't have men's soccer?

That is correct, none of those schools have men's soccer.

In fact as of right now, there are exactly two men's D1 soccer programs in all of Texas. And that is at SMU and Incarnate Word. No Texas, Texas A&M, Baylor, Houston, TCU, Texas Tech, UTEP, Rice, none of them.

In Alabama, UAB is the only D1 men's soccer program. In Georgia, neither Georgia or Georgia Tech have men's teams, only Georgia Southern, Georgia State and Mercer do.

And for the record, neither Miami nor Florida State have a men's team either. The ACC men's soccer league only has 12 members.

That is correct, none of those schools have men's soccer.

In fact as of right now, there are exactly two men's D1 soccer programs in all of Texas. And that is at SMU and Incarnate Word. No Texas, Texas A&M, Baylor, Houston, TCU, Texas Tech, UTEP, Rice, none of them.

In Alabama, UAB is the only D1 men's soccer program. In Georgia, neither Georgia or Georgia Tech have men's teams, only Georgia Southern, Georgia State and Mercer do.

And for the record, neither Miami nor Florida State have a men's team either. The ACC men's soccer league only has 12 members.
It's probably the good 'ole boy Murican attitude that soccer is for girls and Euro pansies and real Americans only play football :)

• Love
Reactions: FreeportPanther
You'd think Texas schools would have soccer, they have a lot of Mexican residents, and a lot of those families probably love soccer.

Reactions: Flynn #5
It's probably the good 'ole boy Murican attitude that soccer is for girls and Euro pansies and real Americans only play football :)

That's part of it as soccer was not very popular in the south. So since you have to comply with Title IX, not having men's soccer in the south makes sense.

That's part of it as soccer was not very popular in the south. So since you have to comply with Title IX, not having men's soccer in the south makes sense.
Strange? The south has more Hispanics I would think, especially Texas-and they love and play soccer, and the MLS teams in Atlanta and Carolina and Austin seem very popular.

Marshall is damned good.

They won the championship in 2020 by beating IU after the Hoosiers beat us in the Final Four.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT