ADVERTISEMENT

For those who say a full stadium doesn't matter

So Nick Saban has his jockeys twisted over student attendance for a trash game and that somehow translates to why Pitt isn't Alabama? And unless I'm missing something, PSU owned Pitt by laying a 51-6 on the board. Not because of a song.

That is one interesting interpretation of my post. I link an article about why a full stadium is important and you somehow translate that as "Pitt isn't Alabama".

Reactions: Wildman4Pitt
That is one interesting interpretation of my post. I link an article about why a full stadium is important and you somehow translate that as "Pitt isn't Alabama".

Please enlighten me. Alabama's attendance problems are nowhere near the same as Pitt's because the reasons are very different. Pitt has been crap for 35 years and expectations are terrible. Alabama played a pretty meaningless game and students decided they had better things to do on a Saturday afternoon.

Please enlighten me. Alabama's attendance problems are nowhere near the same as Pitt's because the reasons are very different. Pitt has been crap for 35 years and expectations are terrible. Alabama played a pretty meaningless game and students decided they had better things to do on a Saturday afternoon.

No. Alabama is the top program in the country. Some students don't show up for one game, and Saban is critical of them. Why? Because even at a place like Bama, a full stadium is important. We like to pretend that it doesn't matter.

No. Alabama is the top program in the country. Some students don't show up for one game, and Saban is critical of them. Why? Because even at a place like Bama, a full stadium is important. We like to pretend that it doesn't matter.

I really dont think it matters at Bama. Saban is just being a jackass. On TV one speculated that he may be trying to use that as an excuse to go somewhere else.

Just to add it doesn't matter at Bama with regards to this particular game against a completely overmatched opponent.

Well first problem is, and this includes fans on here, is that the fanbase complains about going to games. Wrong start time, wrong time of week, wrong weather, wrong stadium, wrong opponent etc etc etc.

There was a UNC game I believe in narduzzi’s first year where I believe we were 6-1 and had a Thursday night game against UNC for the coastal lead, and the attendance was pathetic.

Bottom line is that you can complain about on campus stadiums all you want, but you won’t come to games anyways.

Reactions: Lancer76

They do not want to address the point you made , normal around here.

They do not want to address the point you made , normal around here.

I don't think anyone believes that attendance doesn't matter. But Alabama does not have attendance issues, Saban was just being a jerk. Just because. Alabama does not the same issues Pitt has. Pitt is competing for dollars with professional teams, in an urban environment. Alabama doesn't have jacksh*t to compete with. No pro teams in the vicinity. Alabama has no urban environment to speak of lol

Reactions: greenpeach
Do you go to every game?

Same question for the OP?

Went to almost every game for 15 years. Then I saw the reality. I will be back once they build a new stadium in Oakland. So it's likely I will not be back.

It is a dumb argument.

I lived in Alabama... Alabama has no baseball team, no pro football team anywhere close, no hockey... no basketball... no nothing. All they have is Alabama and Auburn and when you move there EVERYONE ask what side you are on. That is all there is in Alabama, and it has has a tremendous history around it.

PSU... has 100 freaking thousand students!!!!! And, has the same as above to a large degree. They are 3-4 times larger than Pitt's alumni base. Do the math, if we get 40K they can get 120 K.

Unless Pitt is kicking major ass and playing for NCs I cant see the stadium being filled for a game against ULL. It just wont happen, Pittsburgh isnt like that.

Reactions: Atch
I will defend Saban on this.

As competitive as SEC recruiting is, even a modestly empty stadium....even for Louisiana Lafayette will be pitched by Jimbo, Orgeron, Kirby against Bama. If Im Saban, i would be upset as well.

I wish we had this problem and I suspect i am not alone on this.

It is a dumb argument.

I lived in Alabama... Alabama has no baseball team, no pro football team anywhere close, no hockey... no basketball... no nothing. All they have is Alabama and Auburn and when you move there EVERYONE ask what side you are on. That is all there is in Alabama, and it has has a tremendous history around it.

PSU... has 100 freaking thousand students!!!!! And, has the same as above to a large degree. They are 3-4 times larger than Pitt's alumni base. Do the math, if we get 40K they can get 120 K.

Unless Pitt is kicking major ass and playing for NCs I cant see the stadium being filled for a game against ULL. It just wont happen, Pittsburgh isnt like that.

The overall point I hoped some would realize is that the stadium is too large. Empty seats and students not showing up is bad. The short term solution is to tarp most of the upper sections. Then if student don't fill their section, reduce it and make those available for seasons ticket holders.

The overall point I hoped some would realize is that the stadium is too large. Empty seats and students not showing up is bad. The short term solution is to tarp most of the upper sections. Then is student don't fill their section, reduce it and make those available for seasons ticket holders.

good lord

I will say I have 4 kids, and I buy 2 season tickets only. I would love to bring the whole family.

Tarping is so dumb, I dont even want to discuss it... I would rather give out free tickets to any high school kid that wants to come and to the parent/gaurdian that brings them. Saves the dumb cost of tarps, and will generate concession money

Reactions: kma0043
LOL. Of course, it's the fans, not the incompetent administration.

I know why you think the admin is incompetent because they won’t build an on campus stadium, and frankly that is a horrible reason to stop coming to games.

I see your point. Bama really struggled against Louisiana-Lafayette.

I jest but I really don't. Saban does this every year and it doesn't matter. The fans don't show up for cupcakes or leave early during blowouts. Big deal. I still don't see what this has to do with Pitt. It doesn't even correlate with what success Pitt has had on the field. We've discussed before how there was only one sellout in 1976 (against WVU). Yeah, having 50k fans there every Saturday would seriously help the perception. Nobody argues that. But it's not why Pitt isn't winning.

I know why you think the admin is incompetent because they won’t build an on campus stadium, and frankly that is a horrible reason to stop coming to games.

I stopped going because it was no longer a fun experience. They kept losing. And the stadium looked terrible. My friends became less interested as well. I will start going again when games are played in Oakland.

good lord

I will say I have 4 kids, and I buy 2 season tickets only. I would love to bring the whole family.

Tarping is so dumb, I dont even want to discuss it... I would rather give out free tickets to any high school kid that wants to come and to the parent/gaurdian that brings them. Saves the dumb cost of tarps, and will generate concession money

We could give free tickets to every high school kid in western PA, and most of them still won't come.

I really do love pitt fans.

Fan: attendance is important for recruiting.

Me: do you go to the games.

Fan: no, the admin won’t build an on campus stadium so I won’t go.

Reactions: dave97

PITT could be Alabama but that train left the station a long time ago!

PITT football isn't Alabama football due to gross mis-management of its football program going back decades while during that same time Alabama properly managed football program affairs, excelled in football, invested in football, and is now # 1 in football.
PITT had this same opportunity to grow a nationally ranked football program into a long term national success but lacked the competencies and commitment necessary to maintain a program at that level.

IMO it reflects poorly on the University since athletics is a large part of the student experience!

"it's five o'clock somewhere"
Signed: Mr Buffett
Go PITT & CSU Rams!

Reactions: Atch
It's comparing apples and oranges when comparing Pitt and Alabama. You can't do it in any way.

Saban is a moron and a jackass. If he wants students to show up for games, quit scheduling creampuffs. It's pretty simple. If you want a full stadium, quit scheduling creampuffs. In Pitt's case, the location of the stadium has already been proven to not influence attendance. There is no correlation. Field a team with decent recruits and a decent head coach, and there might be a slight uptick in attendance. But where that happens is irrelevant.

When did anyone say a full stadium isnt important? If ur saying build a small stadium for 35k which we can fill in the current state of the program; id argue against that....

Yes, good attendance is generally important to recruits.

You know what else is important?

Bags of cash
Cars
Unlimited AMEX cards
Bling
Ho's
Weed
Whiskey (all you want)
Fake classes
Weasely assistants that "fix things" for you
Did I mention the cash and ho's?

100% proven that all these things are important to recruits that make a difference. Guess what, Pitt doesn't believe in any of them, either.

Hence, we sit here figuring we're gonna get blasted by a sucky Syracuse team.

When did anyone say a full stadium isnt important? If ur saying build a small stadium for 35k which we can fill in the current state of the program; id argue against that....

At least right size HF so that it can be filled for the average game. Not hard.

26687183060_99b3a87aeb_o.jpg

Reactions: DiehardPanther
I stopped going because it was no longer a fun experience. They kept losing. And the stadium looked terrible. My friends became less interested as well. I will start going again when games are played in Oakland.

Amen. I'm there after 43 years at the games. I will enjoy games on tv until they are serious as many of us were at one time

Thet do it cause the avg Pitt fan is not bright and makes excuses for them. Pirates and their fans are on par

Pitt and the Succos are essentially the same. One is fooling fans for the Nutting empire, and the other is fooling fans so that the ACC revenue can go to the non revenue sports.

We could give free tickets to every high school kid in western PA, and most of them still won't come.

Agree we were given two free tickets to the Miami game last year as season ticket holders and no one wanted to go so I took my nephews. 65 degree day in November and still no one wanted to go. Build a 35k seat stadium and deal with it. Even with 35k seats I bet most games you could get a seat.

good lord

Why don’t you bring all the kids? Just curious didn’t understand why you said you have 4 but only bring 1.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT