ADVERTISEMENT

Forever doomed for 6-6/7-5

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
That's what it feels like. We got lucky due to a Covid year and had 1 good season in 40 years. Now its back to 6-6/7-5 for the next 40 years. And we're paying good money for it when Paul Chryst or any WPIAL gym teacher can beat an FBS, MAC, Duke, Syr, and 2 other games

The unfortunate thing is that I was hoping before the season the 6-6/7-5 year would come next season with all they lose and the tough non conference slate, and they’d at least be able to win 9 this year. But that’s looking like a real stretch right now.

Reactions: singregardless
Eh, I actually think we are going to be a lot worse than that for a while. We've still for some bottoming out to do, and help really isn't on the way. I think we'll be wishing for 7-5 in about two years.

SMF...I was just saying the same thing to my friends last night at a wedding reception. Pitt sports, especially the football (and basketball program) program looks lost. The football team continues to run an offense that looks very slow and underwhelming to watch. I can not imagine any top high school recruit that would want to come here and play in this system. Those elite level recruits want to play in a system that is fun and exciting to be a part of, as well as, a member of a team that has a chance to win games and play in a national championship at some point during their collegiate careers. Right now, the current set up of the Pitt Panthers offers none of the above.
As much as I like having Pat Narduzzi as the Head Coach of the Pitt football program, his hiring of frank cignetti, jr. may very well end up costing him his job.
There is a reason why cignetti, jr. has held 20 different coaching titles in his 33 years as a football coach. Some people may say that he jumped around so much because he was so talented that other schools/NFL teams wanted him, others such as myself, would say that the man wasn't good enough to be retained at the job he had.
I hope and pray that Narduzzi realizes his mistake and makes the appropriate change at the end of the season. There are MANY young coaches out there who offer a fresh new perspective on how to run a college offense that is fun and exciting to both be a part of and watch. I hope he finds one of these young coaches because the program needs it.

Reactions: 4382
I tweeted last night when you can see you QB making decisions… going through a thought process like I can see from my television … it’s too slow and lumbering and telegraphed…

Chris Peaks podcast nailed it… NONE of this is making sense… this offense should not look this bad … players have resumes… experience… making prognosis based on that WASNT out of line … PITT simply put should not be losing games to GT or Louisville… we just blew this team out 2 years ago… and the 2020 team wasn’t as good as 2021… it’s absurd and it’s completely self inflicted…

im disgusted because this is a waste of talent everywhere… the defense played a nice game.. all wasted because of this Mickey Mouse shit offense.

Just remember Nards has taken Pitt for over $25 million since he’s been here and we can only remember one accomplishment in 8 years…any other business he’d be long gone.

Reactions: PittPoker
SMF...I was just saying the same thing to my friends last night at a wedding reception. Pitt sports, especially the football (and basketball program) program looks lost. The football team continues to run an offense that looks very slow and underwhelming to watch. I can not imagine any top high school recruit that would want to come here and play in this system. Those elite level recruits want to play in a system that is fun and exciting to be a part of, as well as, a member of a team that has a chance to win games and play in a national championship at some point during their collegiate careers. Right now, the current set up of the Pitt Panthers offers none of the above.
As much as I like having Pat Narduzzi as the Head Coach of the Pitt football program, his hiring of frank cignetti, jr. may very well end up costing him his job.
There is a reason why cignetti, jr. has held 20 different coaching titles in his 33 years as a football coach. Some people may say that he jumped around so much because he was so talented that other schools/NFL teams wanted him, others such as myself, would say that the man wasn't good enough to be retained at the job he had.
I hope and pray that Narduzzi realizes his mistake and makes the appropriate change at the end of the season. There are MANY young coaches out there who offer a fresh new perspective on how to run a college offense that is fun and exciting to both be a part of and watch. I hope he finds one of these young coaches because the program needs it.
I can't possibly imagine Cignetti will be coming back. I really believe that. Narduzzi may be stubborn but he will correct the mistake of hiring a 1988 Offensive Coordinator

That's what it feels like. We got lucky due to a Covid year and had 1 good season in 40 years. Now it’s back to 6-6/7-5 for the next 40 years. And we're paying good money for it when Paul Chryst or any WPIAL gym teacher can beat an FBS, MAC, Duke, Syr, and 2 other games
Last year was as good as we can expect every 7-10 years. That is why I am glad the athletic department has so many other strong programs . Pitt volleyball just knocked off #2 and the team is continuing to improve. They might even have another final four run left in them(good thing we are building them a new arena soon).

womens soccer lost to a top team but that young team has been near the top of the best soccer division all year and playing without one of the top players. I think this will actually be the next Pitt team to win a national championship in a few years.

men’s soccer is playing well. And you know coach Vidovich will have them ready for the tourney.
H2p

I can't possibly imagine Cignetti will be coming back. I really believe that. Narduzzi may be stubborn but he will correct the mistake of hiring a 1988 Offensive Coordinator

I think he'll be back. Who could we even attract anyway? We have literally nothing on offense next season. Izzy will be gone. We're losing 4 linemen. Bartholomew is transferring. We have no quarterback. Our receivers suck. We're Iowa.

Reactions: PittPoker
I think he'll be back. Who could we even attract anyway? We have literally nothing on offense next season. Izzy will be gone. We're losing 4 linemen. Bartholomew is transferring. We have no quarterback. Our receivers suck. We're Iowa.
He’s the kind of Oc Duz wants. I’m sure he just thinks these issues are solely because of injuries. To be fair, much of it is, too. But that’s a part of the game and you are going to deal with it every year.

In any event Pitt isn’t eating that contract or any other after only one year.

Good post, some of the people obsessed with the PRO STYLE RUN HEAVY style, also complain about recruiting, they wonder why we can't get better players, you are spot on saying that these "kids" want to play in some FUN, UP TEMPO system, where they get to score a lot, and toss the ball all over the yard like some summer 7 on 7 tourney at the Manning passing camp or something, they really don't want to pound the rock, and milk the clock.

It is so obvious that aggressive exciting play attracts aggressive exciting players. The current offense is beneficial (and thus appealing) to exactly one person, Izzy. So maybe you’ll interest some running backs with it. But no QB, WR, or TE recruits will want to be caught dead in this offense of this season. I fervently hope we’re in constant contact … daily at a minimum… with the Minchy kid promising this current mess will totally disappear when he arrives. And of course showering him with more payola.

The unfortunate thing is that I was hoping before the season the 6-6/7-5 year would come next season with all they lose and the tough non conference slate, and they’d at least be able to win 9 this year. But that’s looking like a real stretch right now.
Yeah, it would have been acceptable to go 6-6 or even 5-7 next year if they went 9-3 or 10-2 this year. It will not be acceptable to follow up the ACC title with everyone coming back almost especially on defense then going 6-6

He Better not be for pat’s sake. If he comes back pat is likely gone after next year

He Better not be for pat’s sake. If he comes back pat is likely gone after next year
Narduzzi cannot be fired until after the 2025 season at the very earliest and probably not until 2026 or 2027 since he is signed through 2030. If they go 4-8, 2-10, 2-10, he still gets the 2025 season. And we wont be THAT bad. That said, Cignetti is almost definitely gone.

Cig will not be gone after this season. What program do you think you are following, LSU? Money matters here. Plus, he’s doing exactly what his boss wants; his boss likely sees it as merely an issue of execution (which I’m sure we’re all in favor of … props to John McKay). Heck maybe Duz thinks we aren’t running ENOUGH. Either way, it’ll go like it did with Watson. Need to amortize the bad deal a little bit.

Cig will not be gone after this season. What program do you think you are following, LSU? Money matters here. Plus, he’s doing exactly what his boss wants; his boss likely sees it as merely an issue of execution (which I’m sure we’re all in favor of … props to John McKay). Heck maybe Duz thinks we aren’t running ENOUGH. Either way, it’ll go like it did with Watson. Need to amortize the bad deal a little bit.
The offense is nearing historically bad levels. I really think he's gone. I don't know why I am somewhat confident Duzz realizes his error and corrects it.

The offense is nearing historically bad levels. I really think he's gone. I don't know why I am somewhat confident Duzz realizes his error and corrects it.
This is the shitty style of offense Duzz wants to run the clock to keep the defense off the field.

Cignetti will be here next year but sadly not much offensive talent so things will likely get worse.

Duzz can find good OC (Chaney, Canada was good for college)but I think he wants a running game OC and since that doesn’t work anymore in college there aren’t as many options now

This is the shitty style of offense Duzz wants to run the clock to keep the defense off the field.
That GARBAGE ideology probably cost Cowher a couple Super Bowls.

It's almost like the offense is subservient to the defense, they're just there to keep the defense rested and considered secondary in winning. I'd rather win because I built an offense that can light up the scoreboard like a pinball machine and match any score the defense allows.

Reactions: YourPittDanceTeam
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT