ADVERTISEMENT

Former Pitt intern backslides in new post

8-4 record? Pinstripe bowl? Bad loss? Losing to another P5 OOC?

Sounds like he is following the same blueprint from Pitt? What are they upset about? Not enough BBVA Compass Bowls?

Reactions: pittizit
Chryst should be a gym teacher and football coach at Baldwin. Its amazing he's made as much money as he has at a high level.
No one is more screwed than Wisconsin when the Big 10 scraps divisions. The Fighting Chrysts may never see another New Year's Day bowl.

He has the aspiration to recruit MAC level players. He should be coaching there ... or at Canon-McMillan.
He reminds me of one of those random gym teachers they interview after he wins the WPIAL Championship who can barely speak English.

8-4 record? Pinstripe bowl? Bad loss? Losing to another P5 OOC?

Sounds like he is following the same blueprint from Pitt? What are they upset about? Not enough BBVA Compass Bowls?

He makes the point pretty well. Since the end of the 2017 season, Wisconsin has a record of 32-17 under Chryst. with the vast majority of wins coming from sub .500/ bad non P5 teams.

Whisky had a nice run while the B1G was down a little. With other schools elevating, Chryst really hasn't done himself any favors. Hung on to Rudolph as an OC for way too long. Really not sure where they go next, though.

Bobby Engram is the classic "buddy hire" and isn't an improvement over Rudolph because they both are running Chryst's offense.

Reactions: pittdan77
Whisky had a nice run while the B1G was down a little. With other schools elevating, Chryst really hasn't done himself any favors. Hung on to Rudolph as an OC for way too long. Really not sure where they go next, though.
This first part is key. It happens all the time. Wisconsin’s best years in the early 2010’s came when three of the programs who have more structural advantages than Wisconsin were down: Penn State (sex scandal), Ohio State (sanctions), and Michigan (hiring Rich Rodriguez and Brady Hoke). So you have a few good years, and you can either believe that your success is due to some special Wisconsin-ness, or you look at the situation and say, “we carved out a great couple of seasons, now let’s use that success and leverage it to be able to match what the traditional powers are doing once they’re back up and running at closer to full strength.”

Wisconsin and Iowa have chosen the first one, and they’ve been able to get away with it for a while because they’re in the weaker division. Michigan State, too, started down that path before they hired Mel Tucker to try to build an SEC clone in East Lansing.

This first part is key. It happens all the time. Wisconsin’s best years in the early 2010’s came when three of the programs who have more structural advantages than Wisconsin were down: Penn State (sex scandal), Ohio State (sanctions), and Michigan (hiring Rich Rodriguez and Brady Hoke). So you have a few good years, and you can either believe that your success is due to some special Wisconsin-ness, or you look at the situation and say, “we carved out a great couple of seasons, now let’s use that success and leverage it to be able to match what the traditional powers are doing once they’re back up and running at closer to full strength.”

Wisconsin and Iowa have chosen the first one, and they’ve been able to get away with it for a while because they’re in the weaker division. Michigan State, too, started down that path before they hired Mel Tucker to try to build an SEC clone in East Lansing.
Those are two programs that have benefited from divisions. I just can't imagine that any schedule changes that are made when USC and UCLA move into the conference are going to benefit those two.

A little off topic but I expect the conference will turn on MSU. That bunch loves to go at each other and they won't tolerate a little guy threatening the big boys.

I'd say Narduzzi is more old school midwestern Big Ten coach than WPIAL gym teacher. I get that the 2 are close
Dude he’s from Youngstown. He might as well be an Ampipe alum.

I could see one of his players telling him he’s just a HS typing teacher…just like Stef did to Nickerson.

I used to be a bigger Chryst defender. I thought he did an admirable job here after the rapid coaching hires debacle holding the ship together and did somewhat upgrade Wisconsin with his return from the seasons of his absence. But the last couple years, it's been really surprising to me how poorly Graham Mertz has progressed. I thought if Chryst could get good play out of Tino, he'd have a conference title contender with the QB who Clemson and Alabama couldn't get. But they really have struggled to throw the ball. Their fans are getting antsy.

I used to be a bigger Chryst defender. I thought he did an admirable job here after the rapid coaching hires debacle holding the ship together and did somewhat upgrade Wisconsin with his return from the seasons of his absence. But the last couple years, it's been really surprising to me how poorly Graham Mertz has progressed. I thought if Chryst could get good play out of Tino, he'd have a conference title contender with the QB who Clemson and Alabama couldn't get. But they really have struggled to throw the ball. Their fans are getting antsy.
Chryst was given way too much credit for inheriting a 6-6 team and going 6-6 3 years in a row vs a very weak schedule

Reactions: Farnox and Celtsfan
Chryst was given way too much credit for inheriting a 6-6 team and going 6-6 3 years in a row vs a very weak schedule
I don't think anyone loved him. The credit he got, rightly or wrongly, was for not getting fired or quitting in one year or less and for patching together a few recruiting classes. No scandals or high profile arrests I can remember. Chaney, Canada, and even Watson to an extent scored a lot of points with Chryst's offensive recruits.

I don't think anyone loved him. The credit he got, rightly or wrongly, was for not getting fired or quitting in one year or less and for patching together a few recruiting classes. No scandals or high profile arrests I can remember. Chaney, Canada, and even Watson to an extent scored a lot of points with Chryst's offensive recruits.
He helped stabilize a roster that essentially lost 2 recruiting classes due to coaching churn .

Reactions: Fk_Pitt

Antsy is an understatement.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT