ADVERTISEMENT

Francis Brewu taking an OV to MSU

That's just how I feel.

It's already free up to high school.

Plus there are some states that offer free college for instate students.
Well, I feel that I shouldn't pay for your college.

Maybe people who want free college should move to a state that provides it.

Reactions: Team_Pitt_Fan
The NCAA is directly to blame for this mess. They had their head in the sand for years. The Terrelle Pryor incident or Reggie Bush incident was an opportunity for the NCAA to take a look at its amateurism policy. They chose not to, and even when SCOTUS took this argument and the writing was on the wall, the NCAA did nothing. Worth noting that SCOTUS justices almost never agree on anything, but this was a 9-0 vote. That’s how poor the NCAA argument was.
There have been more 9-0 votes than you think. The 1st line of defense is whether to grant Cert.
Despite a widespread belief that the Supreme Court is hopelessly divided along partisan lines, 9-0 rulings aren’t rare at all. Since at least 2008, they’ve usually accounted for a plurality of rulings, and they never fell below 36% of all rulings during that period.

• While 5-4 rulings tend to attract more public and media attention, they have consistently trailed 9-0 rulings in frequency.
SOURCE. https://www.politifact.com/factchec...e-popular-misconception-supreme-court-9-0-ru/

Well, I feel that I shouldn't pay for your college.

Maybe people who want free college should move to a state that provides it.

Lol - I lost that argument as a kid with my parents... guess who paid my student loans. I'll give you hint, not my parents.

I don't know what world you live in but that's not the average experience.

Everyone's not getting degrees as nurses or computer programmers with high salaries. There's many low paying professionals like teachers.

Also, your 20K debt estimate is very low.

It is the average experience.

It’s just not the experience you want to focus on or the media wants to focus on.

I just don’t think you need to go to college to be successful. Or, you can go to a community college if you’d like. Take for example a friend of mine who slept through classes in High School and got D’s. Now, he’s the owner of a couple of highly successful coffee shops in Fort Lauderdale and rolling in money. All the while, 0 college experience.

Sales is another career you don’t need any kind of formal schooling. College doesn’t teach you sales skill. You either have it, or you don’t. Tons of jobs exist where you don’t need college to be successful. Hell, those traveling nurses are making 150 an hour…community college, nursing school….bankroll.

You don’t need to do anything to be successful. You can buy a lottery ticket.

The question isn’t whether you need to go to college to be successful. That’s how you’re now framing it, but not what I responded to.

It’s whether college is a “legal racket,” as you called it.

And it’s not. There isn’t a single study in existence that does not show that a college degree over the life of the earner is a great investment in earning power.

That’s true of college as a whole.

What’s also true is because the government has backed loans and made them non-dischargable, it has made college more expensive than it should be, and created too many degrees that banks would never fund if not backed by Uncle Sam.

But that’s still not the norm of college as a whole. Most students in college are not on campus chanting “From the River to the Sea” while they major in sociology.

It is the average experience.

It’s just not the experience you want to focus on or the media wants to focus on.
Well, in my world that's NOT the average experience.

Think what you want. Hopefully, you're not a decision maker that helps to carry on this myopic view that there's nothing wrong. It's people like you that allow broken systems to live on, because you're ignorant to reality or just blind to it.

College is overrated, especially in this day and age.

Plus, it's not like the graduation rate is high for football and basketball players. These kids don't care about the school.

The goal is to get the bag while they can. And I fully support them. The main education I hope they get is financial literacy.

Financial Literacy should be a graduation requirement for all high school students. Florida recently implemented that.

Many kids are coming out of high school and instantly signing on to 100K debt. All for this sham of college education which should be free for all.
There is no education that is free for all.

The student, or his family may not be paying for it, but it is far from free.

Buy a home, and take a long look at the tax bill that comes with home ownership. K - 12 education is far from free.

You would need to double / triple / more? / that tax bill if you want other people to pay for “free” college.

Our society deems K-12 education is necessary, so we pay for it. Post high school is voluntary, and should be up to the student to decide if the cost is worth it.

The entire actual “racket” part of college is that the government has removed decision making. Everybody’s student loans application gets approved, because the lending agency does not care about your credit. It doesn’t care what you intend to major in. It just green lights it because the government guarantees it.

And there are people who actually think the answer to that broken system is to make college free. Sure, that might help the student majoring in deconstructing colonialism and white supremacy, not be in debt once ze graduate from college. But it does nothing for the tax payer. Does nothing to keep the cost of college down. Does nothing to reel in bloated administrative departments. Which is the real problem with college right now.

Buy a home, and take a long look at the tax bill that comes with home ownership. K - 12 education is far from free.

You would need to double / triple / more? / that tax bill if you want other people to pay for “free” college.

Our society deems K-12 education is necessary, so we pay for it. Post high school is voluntary, and should be up to the student to decide if the cost is worth it.
Well there are multiple states/territories that has free post-secondary education and their own unique way of paying for it.

Someone always pays for “free”.

You don’t need to do anything to be successful. You can buy a lottery ticket.

The question isn’t whether you need to go to college to be successful. That’s how you’re now framing it, but not what I responded to.

It’s whether college is a “legal racket,” as you called it.

And it’s not. There isn’t a single study in existence that does not show that a college degree over the life of the earner is a great investment in earning power.

That’s true of college as a whole.

What’s also true is because the government has backed loans and made them non-dischargable, it has made college more expensive than it should be, and created too many degrees that banks would never fund if not backed by Uncle Sam.

But that’s still not the norm of college as a whole. Most students in college are not on campus chanting “From the River to the Sea” while they major in sociology.
I just don’t see how it’s a great investment. I guess we see education differently. I see it as 4 years down the drain, and you’re in 100,000 of debt before you land a significant job. Between 7 and 10% of people are in default of their loan at any time. The cost is a drag to many Americans and delays starting a family or buying a home.

Reactions: jctrack and cease10
I just don’t see how it’s a great investment. I guess we see education differently. I see it as 4 years down the drain, and you’re in 100,000 of debt before you land a significant job. Between 7 and 10% of people are in default of their loan at any time. The cost is a drag to many Americans and delays starting a family or buying a home.

I don’t have a view. Just facts.

On average, at age of retirement, the average high school diploma only person made about 40k a year.

An individual with a bachelors on average earns over 70K a year.

Even when factoring having to pay off the debt, you make significantly more money over your lifetime going to college.

And one of the huge culture problems right now is that men aren’t going to college.
The collapse of marriage rates right now is almost entirely due to the fact that women want to be with “winners.” They want a man that is well off, on a path to being well off, or has some kind of status or esteem, even if that doesn’t come with money.
And because women are going to college in such huge numbers compared to men, women are not marrying, because the pool of worthy men in their eyes is so much smaller.

You want to talk about delaying life? Go be a blue collar guy trying to land a trophy wife. It usually doesn’t work out, and unfortunately the marriage rates and reason women site for the rates, is proving that.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
The answer to this problem isn’t to tell men, “you don’t need college”:

research study in the Journal of Marriage and Family2 by Daniel Lichter, Joseph Price, and Jeffrey Swigert was released. It argued that current marriage rates are at a 150-year low partly because unmarried women face a shortage of men with what they view as acceptable income and job prospects. It sparked an explosion of interest and commentary in the media, on- and offline, that still continues as of this writing.3

Women, it seems, still prefer men who are able to make more money than they do, and right now the marriage market has a profound shortage of men whose combination of education and income makes them “good prospects.” Faced with remaining single or marrying what those that Lichter et al., kindly call “less well-suited” men, educated women often choose the former.

The Government is horrible, here is just one example.

I think a college education generally is becoming meaningless. 100K+ in debt for a piece of paper that says Congrats, you passed classes. College is an excuse for you to move away from home and party.

I’m praying my kids see the light and bypass college and get into a trade, funeral director or nurse…
FYI: Virtually all nurses have college degrees

Reactions: cashisking884
I don’t have a view. Just facts.

On average, at age of retirement, the average high school diploma only person made about 40k a year.

An individual with a bachelors on average earns over 70K a year.

Even when factoring having to pay off the debt, you make significantly more money over your lifetime going to college.

And one of the huge culture problems right now is that men aren’t going to college.
The collapse of marriage rates right now is almost entirely due to the fact that women want to be with “winners.” They want a man that is well off, on a path to being well off, or has some kind of status or esteem, even if that doesn’t come with money.
And because women are going to college in such huge numbers compared to men, women are not marrying, because the pool of worthy men in their eyes is so much smaller.

You want to talk about delaying life? Go be a blue collar guy trying to land a trophy wife. It usually doesn’t work out, and unfortunately the marriage rates and reason women site for the rates, is proving that.
Nothing says happiness like 70,000 a year and a trophy wife.

Reactions: pittmeister
Nothing says happiness like 70,000 a year and a trophy wife.

Or 40k and the house you apparently are able to buy with that amount. But I guess since you won’t be attracting a woman making that salary, the house doesn’t need to be that big. So maybe a person can swing it.

That's just how I feel.

It's already free up to high school.

Plus there are some states that offer free college for instate students.
Primary educations are not free. School real property taxes get paid directly by people who own their own homes or directly by landlords which are passed off to tenants who indirectly pay those taxes when they pay rent.

Primary educations are not free. School real property taxes get paid directly by people who own their own homes or directly by landlords which are passed off to tenants who indirectly pay those taxes when they pay rent.
Listen, stop trying to draw more from my comment than there is.

It's simple...parents are not required to pay tuition for public grade school.

Private school parents also pay taxes, but choose to pay tuition for private grade school.

Everyone wants to be Captain Obvious regarding taxes paying for schools. The same goes for roads, infrastructure, etc. None of that needs to be said. It's common sense.

The point is that parents are not required to pay for tuition or books.

Last edited:
The entire actual “racket” part of college is that the government has removed decision making. Everybody’s student loans application gets approved, because the lending agency does not care about your credit. It doesn’t care what you intend to major in. It just green lights it because the government guarantees it.

And there are people who actually think the answer to that broken system is to make college free. Sure, that might help the student majoring in deconstructing colonialism and white supremacy, not be in debt once ze graduate from college. But it does nothing for the tax payer. Does nothing to keep the cost of college down. Does nothing to reel in bloated administrative departments. Which is the real problem with college right now.
Yup. Exhibit A

Well that and the plethora of degrees and classes that are worthless

But hey if you want to get a degree that doesn’t provide a return on investment that’s your fault.

Reactions: FireballZ
so much for feminism

Oddly enough, a lot of feminists are trying to get women to stop doing this.

of course the problem with feminism has always been they think everything is forced on society by some controlling body, and not a byproduct of natural sexual selection mechanisms driven by evolution.

But you are starting to see feminists argue, “the future is female, and men don’t care that you out earn them. It’s you that care that you out earn them. Get over it if you want to get married.”

Was the average high school graduate working at Chick-Fil-A? That's what they pay here.

Point is that the 40K number seems ludicrous.

I have said this many times. Just say you have a college degree on your resume. Make it up.

I have said this many times. Just say you have a college degree on your resume. Make it up.

Without a doubt. 0% chance they're checking in most fields. Hell, I'm only like 99% sure I even have one. I don't recall ever having received anything.

I don't think it'll be as much of a hindrance moving forward now that they're pushing the "paper ceiling" thing, though. They're not wrong. College is a freaking money pit. I'm in favor of more concentrated curriculum at a fraction of both the time and financial investments. Just no reason in the world an accountant (me) needs to take Geology, Geology 2, Literature, General Writing, Creative Writing, Calc 2, Calc 3, Biology for Non-majors, at least two history classes I don't remember the names of, Latin American Studies, Music, 5 psych courses, Philosophy, etc. I mean, I didn't have to take all of those specific courses, but obviously the point is it's just a bunch of unnecessary bullshit.

Well-rounded is okay to a degree. If you want to convince me Stats, Quantitative Methods, Business Writing, Economics, Finance, Marketing, etc. were worth my while, sure... I'll buy into some of that. But the other shit? Sorry, I didn't need learn about rocks and molecules.

Geez, I hate to crash the party but but whatever came out of the Brewu visit? Did he de-commit from Pitt and commit to MSU or is he still a Panther?

He gone. But the good news is we'll have a chance to recruit him again in a few years, as long as he fits the "good enough to still be playing but not so good that he can actually land big money someplace" category.

Yup. Exhibit A

Well that and the plethora of degrees and classes that are worthless

But hey if you want to get a degree that doesn’t provide a return on investment that’s your fault.

That report is bogus - they only counted full-time undergraduate students in their analysis. Northwestern has almost twice as many grad students as undergrad. They skewed the numbers to attempt to prove a point.

And how do you determine that a class or a degree is worthless? Just because it is not worthwhile to you, does not make it less valuable to someone else.

He read this thread, and decided it was not worth his time to go to college.
He decided to become and influencer. If that doesn’t work out, he’s supposed to be a good Carpenter.

Oddly enough, a lot of feminists are trying to get women to stop doing this.

of course the problem with feminism has always been they think everything is forced on society by some controlling body, and not a byproduct of natural sexual selection mechanisms driven by evolution.

But you are starting to see feminists argue, “the future is female, and men don’t care that you out earn them. It’s you that care that you out earn them. Get over it if you want to get married.”
When getting married is the problem, staying married is going to seem impossible

Was the average high school graduate working at Chick-Fil-A? That's what they pay here.

Point is that the 40K number seems ludicrous.

So does only 70-ish for college grad.

You can’t move one without moving the other.

Not to belabor the point, but this is my point about college and student loans. A pandemic followed by soul crushing inflation and 40% of people aren’t paying them back. Great decision to go to college!

Some from CCAC which is significantly cheaper
A lot of the oldernurses went to a hospital based school and graduated as an RN. My wife went to the Montifiore school of nursing. Took some classes at Pitt because of their association. But she never got her BS in nursing.
Was very inexpensive vs getting her degree, which she never needed.
Met her at a Fiji party in 1972. Still together.
She actually still works 2 days a week here in HHI, as a diversion from retirement.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT