ADVERTISEMENT

Friday Morning Musings

pitt82

Freshman
Gold Member
Jul 11, 2001
If you had told me Cuse would have the ball for 41 minutes hold us to 217 total yards of offense run 50 more plays than us before the game I would have thought we got our asses handed to us, the last thing I would have anticipated that it would be a stress free night of watching the Panthers:

1. Credit the defensive coaches and their game plan. It was obvious going into the game that Bates was not going to let McCord get comfortable in the pocket, that the receivers were not going to get free releases and the LB's were going jump the shorter and medium routes. Going into the game, McCord was getting a ton of hype, and rightfully so, as being an elite pocket passer with uncanny accuracy especially on third downs. By the end of the night, McCord was shell shocked in dire need of therapy.

2. Look you can have the best game planning but you need players to execute and what Bates has is some elite athletic linebackers. I'm not sure we've seen a more athletic group of LB's in 20 years. Biles and Louis are unique in that they can cover Tight ends and protect the middle of the field, they are dynamic blitzers and are great at reading runs. Special players. I would be remiss if I didn't mention Lovelace and Bass as well. Strength of this d.

3. The defense won all three levels and that bodes really well going forward. With the DL healthy, Syracuse could not move the ball on the ground at all and the also pushed the pocket and re-established the line of the scrimmage all game long, the linebackers were stupidly good, and the CB's continued their sticky coverage. Ryland Gandy continues to be Pitt's shut down corner and has the potential to play on Sundays. Every yard was contested, every play Cuse made required major effort. I just loved the way this defense played. Absolutely did not concede anything to the Orange offense.

4. It's funny I haven't been to a live game yet this year and we are 7-0. Just saying. And don't jump on me my tickets always go to my old Pitt roommates who live in Pittsburgh. Will be there for the last two home games although my being there might be a bad omen.

5. Midway through the first half I texted a buddy "Holstein isn't seeing the field well". 11 for 15 with 2 TD's isn't awful but Holstein looks a little tentative in the pocket. I'm not sure how concerned we should be with the offense. Part of it yesterday was that Syracuse had the ball so much after all the pick sixes but I don't see the OL opening running lanes and the entire offense seems to have regressed. Don't want to read too much into that after smoking Cuse 41-13 but something to watch.

6. I don't know, maybe it's me but if I'm a head coach and my QB has thrown 4 Int's in the first half and he's getting pounded in the pocket I might make a change just for the kid's psyche. Not really sure why Brown kept McCord in the game.

7. The interception by George was insane. How he saw the ball laying on the turf and have it not hit the ground is beyond me. I haven't seen SC yet but has to be top 5 plays last night.

8. There isn't a FG in the country I would trade for Ben Sauls. With all the horrific FG kicking in the country boy it's nice to have that safety blanket.

9. There is no question that Pitt is not getting respected nationally. Everywhere you look pundits are talking about SMU, Miami, Clemson. I mean Pitt controls it's destiny and yet their is a palpable lack of respect for what we are doing. I say good. Please continue. The D is getting better and better. They have elite special teams and can score. You think these players don't realize they are getting disrespected? You think Narduzzi isn't noticing? We will be underdogs against SMU and our team is taking it personally.

10. The refs were non factors in this game aside from a really bad roughing the passer call on us which negated a Cuse interception.

That's all I got today, have to get ready for my day job. 7-0!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! stress free Saturday of CFB viewing. Yes siree.

Pitt82

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.