ADVERTISEMENT

Fundraising and athletic endowment

That's moderately alarming, as I definitely didn't make that post this morning.

I think I somehow ended up in this thread and it took me to the first new post after I last posted, which was yours and I thought I was replying to something new. Not sure how I ended up here by this thread appeared on the first page somehow. Either that or I am going mad, which is also equally possible.

Reactions: Ski11585
It is highly unlikely that data would ever be released by any University. Actually finding athletic endowment information versus general endowment information is pretty tough. Bottom line, despite being a pretty rich University, Pitt athletics is very poor compared to its conference colleagues, and even poorer when compared to other P5 heavy weights--which puts Pitt at a significant competitive disadvantage. Hail to Pitt!

PS For instance, the Nits are likely to bring in more ticket revenue for the Pitt v. PSU game than Pitt will garner for the entire home season. Add on nearly 2.5 times the athletic endowment, and superior annual fund raising, it is not hard to understand the competitive problem Pitt faces.

Pitt is hardly a "rich" school because of its endowment. It's endowment per student ranking is something like 150th. Then consider that 1/3 of the endowment is just for the medical school (not the other 5 schools of the health sciences, just the med school), so if you remove the med school, it drops to about 200th...down below Allegheny College. Then consider that Pitt's annual state appropriations is among the worst in the country for a so called "public" school. Pitt's not poor, but it is hardly rich compared to some of its peers and chief competitors.

For athletics, it is absolutely poor compared to peers.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT