ADVERTISEMENT

Future of the Defense

JimHammett

All P I T T !
Staff
Dec 4, 2012
I'm seeing a lot of, "this has to be the worst defense in the country" "worst defense in the ACC" and so on and so forth and I can't help but point out, that was probably the case with Rori Blair on the roster too. Wirginis and Whitehead will be back and that will help, but even so, this was going to be a bad defense to start the year with the hopes that it can get better over time. I know Chris Peak has mentioned those same sentiments time and time again.

But if we think Narduzzi is the coach we hope he is, and we take a look at the recruiting classes that he's brought on, we have to assume it will get better. I just think the problem right now is depth and experience.

And if you look at things at a whole, yea collectively the defense seems like it could be really bad this year. But if you peel back the onion a bit and look at position by position, it sort of looks better...or at least it does to me.

From Narduzzi's first thrown together class when he was hired to the 2016 class and the 2017 class, here's what he has brought in.

DT - Keyson Camp, Amir Watts, Rashad Wheeler, Kam Carter, Jaylen Twyman

I would say objectively, we like all five of those recruits. Across the four recruiting websites, they were all mostly high three stars or four-stars with legitimate power five offers. Watts and Camp are going to start this year. The future of this position has to be bright, right? Hopefully the development process is going as planned. But Camp and Watts may get pushed around at first, but by October you'd have to think they'll start to play like the four-star recruits that they are.

DE - Rashad Weaver, Pat Jones, Kaezon Pugh

Recruiting here hasn't been as strong as in other areas, but even so Rashad Weaver looks the part of a solid starting college DE. Pat Jones is a big kid that can develop, and Kaezon Pugh is a former four-star with a lot of talent. None of these kids have to start this year, but Weaver will most certainly play. Right now they don't look like much, but then again, they don't have to with Hendrix, Folston, and Edwards. In a way, Blair moving on helps get Weaver on the field sooner. Blair has underacheived his whole career, maybe the light clicked for him this year, but it wasn't something I was counting on.

LB - Saleem Brightwell, Anthony McKee, Chase Pine, Elias Reynolds, Cam Bright, Kyle Nunn, Albert Tucker, and maybe Henry Miller

Saleem Brightwell is probably the team's top linebacker today. We saw he has a lot of talent last year, and he looks like the kind of player that can turn into something pretty big time. Landing Anthony McKee was a big deal at the time, and there's still optimism for him. Chase Pine was a big recruiting win for Pitt, and looked impressive in the Spring Game. I think Henry Miller is a wildcard here and has the athleticism to be an impact guy (I know he's still a DB). And you have depth and maybe a wildcard starter with the other guys.

CB - Damar Hamlin, Therran Coleman, Dane Jackson, Jason Pinnock, Damarri Mathis

Therran Coleman has been talked up for a while now, I think everyone at least has hope he can be a prominent starter for multiple seasons. Hamlin was obviously a huge recruit, and could move to safety, he has too much talent not to do something here at Pitt. Jackson wasn't a total lost cause last year, and made some plays. Mathis looks like a nice recruit himself.

S - Jordan Whitehead, Jay Stocker, Bricen Garner, Phil Campbell, Paris Ford.

Stocker, Garner, Campbell are three players that seemingly we all were excited landing in the recruiting process. There has to be some hope one or two of these guys pan out. Obviously we don't know about Paris Ford, but he's the best recruit Narduzzi has landed here at Pitt. He's a special talent. Obviously Whitehead missing three games sucks, but he is Pitt's best or second best player. He's obviously really good. If the suspension hurts his draftability this year, having him as a senior at Pitt would be enormous.

I'm not even mentioning the current recruiting class because I don't want to count chickens before they are hatched, but Danielson and Tallandier in particular are two guys I'm really excited about. Who knows, maybe Raines and Asamoah too?

In summation, Pitt has recruited pretty well on the defensive side of the ball the past three years, and for the most part these guys are redshirt sophomores or younger. They don't have a lot of game experience mainly because Pitt started 7 seniors last year, that's kind of how it works. I get the concern for the defense in the absolute immediate future, it's impossible to look past it. But long term, you have to like what's here moving forward. There's a lot of talent at every level - it's just really young.

All I'm saying is, yes this defense is young and inexperienced this year. It was going to be young and experienced with the suspensions. But there's some talent here that can be developed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News